Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
 4Real Forums : Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
Subject Topic: worth it to give up coffee? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
rose gardens
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Oct 06 2009 at 4:48pm | IP Logged Quote rose gardens

SusanJ wrote:
Ladies,

Have any of you decided to give up coffee for "health" reasons and notice real benefits? I'm really struggling with emotional stuff and I suspect that it's diet-related. ...Any amazing success stories here? Or arguments in favor of coffee?   
I drink one strong cup in the morning, but if I have more after that, it's de-caf. I used to drink coffee with caffeine throughout the day, but I made the switch to de-caf after I linked my irritability and general restlessness to high caffeine consumption. (I noticed a problem dealing with my emotions following a small box of chocolate covered expresso beans--that experience helped me make the connection.) Limiting caffeine helped. I don't want to give up coffee altogether as I enjoy it, but switching to de-caf after the first cup wasn't a big deal and I drink less coffe overall now. BTW, caffeine is found in many things besides coffee--for instance it's added to many brands of soft drinks. Rather than coffee specifically, I think excessive caffeine from any source can contribute to restless, jittery, irritable emotions.
Back to Top View rose gardens's Profile Search for other posts by rose gardens

Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 06 2009 at 6:07pm | IP Logged Quote Martha

asked dh if he noticed enough of a difference with me when I don't have coffee to make it worth giving up entirely.

his response?

"I love you too much to deny you anything I can give, including reasonable amounts of chocolate or coffee. *kisses my cheek* No sane thinking man would ever deny his wife those things and then leave her home with 9 kids." as he quickly walks past me and out the door... and texts me from the safety of his car "I luv u!"

I think this is kind of like when I asked if my bum was getting big and he said that I should know "fat bottom girls make this rockin' world go 'round"

So apparently I would be better off without coffee, but no one in my home wants to suffer the withdraw period to find out?

Back to Top View Martha's Profile Search for other posts by Martha Visit Martha's Homepage

SusanJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 06 2009 at 7:09pm | IP Logged Quote SusanJ

That's great, Martha! When I asked my dh about this he said that he thinks coffee is a social skill that adults should have. He says this because he can't handle coffee in moderation--he's all or nothing because it makes him crazy if he's not hooked on it. I can drink it just fine once in awhile.

I switched to smaller mugs today :)

Back to Top View SusanJ's Profile Search for other posts by SusanJ Visit SusanJ's Homepage

Sharyn
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 06 2009 at 10:05pm | IP Logged Quote Sharyn

I just can't drink coffee, its just that simple. I never was a big coffee drinker, but when my sil came to stay one time she would drink this 3in1 coffee, so I started to drink it too because it was so nice, but it wasn't long before I realised I had to stop. First I tried different brands, then reduction, then gave it up all together, it was obvious I couldn't drink it regularly. So now I might drink a coffee when out at the shops, but thats it.

SaraP
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 07 2009 at 8:35pm | IP Logged Quote SaraP

I gave it up about a year ago after drinking 2-3 cups a day since I was in high school and I am amazed at the difference. I don't get that keyed-up feeling that I used to, I don't get headaches or feel nauseous in the afternoon any more, it's even easier to get up in the morning (despite pregnancy and new baby sleep disturbances).

I still sometimes drink a cup of regular tea in the morning and, because I really do love coffee, I also drink (snooty) decaf a few times a week. So I'm not completely caffeine free, but I have no intention of ever going back to as much as I used to drink.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version