Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
 4Real Forums : Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
Subject Topic: Zoloft Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
folklaur
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 25 2009 at 4:58pm | IP Logged Quote folklaur

Hi,

my dr feels that my panic disorder is quite out of control (it is) and it severely affecting my life (it is) and that i should really, really try meds (i should).

she prescribed zoloft.

can anyone share any positive, NON-SCARY experiences with it? i can not deal with any scary stuff at all.
feel free to PM me.

i would really, really appreciate it.
Back to Top View folklaur's Profile Search for other posts by folklaur

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 25 2009 at 5:01pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

I don't know any particular stories but I do know several people who have been greatly helped by being able to use it. You can't learn other ways of dealing with things when you're in a constant state of overload. So even if you want to learn ways of dealing without using meds.. using meds to start with so that you can learn those other ways is a very legitimate way to use them.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Angel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 25 2009 at 6:00pm | IP Logged Quote Angel

I used Zoloft for a while and it wasn't scary. It helped me out of a bad place, actually. I was kind of sleepy the first couple days but after that I adjusted.

Like Jody said, it just made it possible to deal with things so I felt halfway normal again.

Back to Top View Angel's Profile Search for other posts by Angel Visit Angel's Homepage

mom2mpr
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 25 2009 at 6:22pm | IP Logged Quote mom2mpr

Not scary at all. A wonderful thing. So helpful. I hugged my doctor after I was on it a few weeks. He kept trying to get me to take it for a year. I was on it 6 months and haven't had to go back--it was about 6 years ago. It was helpful for a tough time in my life. I had no side effects at all.
Don't be afraid to try it, you can always stop or try something else if it is an awful experience. No health care provider wants you to be miserable on a medication.
Good luck in your decision.
Anne
Back to Top View mom2mpr's Profile Search for other posts by mom2mpr

stellamaris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 25 2009 at 8:15pm | IP Logged Quote stellamaris

A dear relative of mine finally accepted that she needed to go on Zoloft...and she couldn't believe how it helped her. She said, "I feel like myself again." She is more able to deal positively with some very stressful situations in her life. So for her it has been a positive experience.

Flowing Streams
Back to Top View stellamaris's Profile Search for other posts by stellamaris Visit stellamaris's Homepage

jhigdon
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Sept 26 2009 at 1:48pm | IP Logged Quote jhigdon

I'm not a regular poster here, but just wanted to say that I took Zoloft while pregnant with my third child, and for six months after her birth. It was a horrible experience. My depression and panic attacks actually got worse, until the psych wanted to add Wellbutrin to the mix. I was nursing a six month old baby and didn't feel comfortable taking that much medication, so I ended up seeing a homeopath instead, along with a new endocronologist. He changed my thyroid meds (the dose and the brand name), and along with the omega 3's I started taking, I felt much better. The new thyroid meds made all the difference, I feel.

Just my experience. If it helps you, wonderful. But I found that was not the case for me (and I had been on other meds before).

God Bless

Jen
Back to Top View jhigdon's Profile Search for other posts by jhigdon

jhigdon
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Sept 26 2009 at 1:49pm | IP Logged Quote jhigdon

I also wanted to add that the Zoloft made me gain a ton of weight. That did not help matters, at least for me.
Back to Top View jhigdon's Profile Search for other posts by jhigdon

Michaela
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 26 2009 at 2:06pm | IP Logged Quote Michaela

Laura, my experience is the complete opposite of Jen's. However, I didn't suffer from panic attacks like you or Jen.

I suffered from severe PPD for YEARS which I tried to deal with on my own. My GREATEST regret is that I waited so long for the help. It lasted so long because I never got the help. Why did I put myself and my family through so much when I could have received help sooner?

Weight gain? nope, I lost over 20lbs. I could function and get out of the house! -- got my rear off the couch and got out into the world again. Not exercise, but I was moving again!!

Come to think of it.....I named my blog while I was on it. Filled with JOY -- opposed to filled with feelings of being overwhelmed and in despair (it's not the reason, but I certainly saw the world differently when I was able to climb out of PPD) (took it the first six months of Teresa's life -- while nursing) I was finally out of a dark place and starting a new life.

For me, nothing negative came from zoloft. My experience was 100% positive.

folklaur
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 26 2009 at 3:18pm | IP Logged Quote folklaur

jhigdon wrote:
I'm not a regular poster here, but just wanted to say that I took Zoloft while pregnant with my third child, and for six months after her birth. It was a horrible experience.

i didn't read any further than this.

i am so very, very sorry for your experience.!!!

however - i am really, really needing to hear positive experiences, which is why i worded the OP like i did.

it is very easy to google Zoloft and hear oodles of horror stories.

however, since moving to NV, i have been out of my house and in the car a total of 6 times - and 2 of those were last week with the DVT scare. So, really, i need to do something.

since a major, major panic trigger for me is pills (i can't even take vitamins) the whole idea of zoloft is absolutely terrifying all on its own.

so - i realize this is asking for a one-sided view of things. i know some people do NOT have good experiences. But, i need a positive-skewed run-down here. i am okay with the bias of that, as i can easily scare myself silly without even hitting on words like "horrible experience."

Back to Top View folklaur's Profile Search for other posts by folklaur

Sarah M
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 26 2009 at 4:14pm | IP Logged Quote Sarah M

Laura,

I used Zoloft for two years and it was exactly what I needed. I was having panic attacks and crazy mood swings that made it nearly impossible for me to care for my family.

Zoloft didn't make me feel oh-so-happy or off-the-charts. It made me feel like myself again. Like a normal Sarah- and that was a saving grace for me.

No weight gain. Nothing else weird or concerning. I just felt like myself again. My only regret was not going on it sooner.

I slowly started weaning myself after about 18 months. I did it *very* slowly- over the course of 6 months. No negative side effects, and I haven't had to use it again.

I was terrified to take Zoloft at first, Laura. But it was such a remarkable help to me. Going on the medication for a time gave me my family back- because then I was able to care for them and enjoy them. I had heard all sorts of weaning horror stories- none of which turned out to be true. It was all very easy and satisfying and life-giving.

Praying for you, and sending you lots of !
Back to Top View Sarah M's Profile Search for other posts by Sarah M

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 26 2009 at 7:17pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Laura.. is it *pills* or any medication? for instance.. could you get liquid meds? or crush pills to mix into a bit of apple sauce and take them?

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Angel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 26 2009 at 8:50pm | IP Logged Quote Angel

Laura,

I can't take vitamins either; I have to get chewables. But the Zoloft pills are really, *really* tiny. Really tiny. I had no problem swallowing them, and I can't even swallow Tylenol.

Back to Top View Angel's Profile Search for other posts by Angel Visit Angel's Homepage

Stephanie_Q
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 28 2009 at 11:19am | IP Logged Quote Stephanie_Q

I didn't / haven't had any problems on Zoloft. My doctor says it's safe while nursing and pregnant (although I've heard scary stories, too and, like others, was terrified to start taking it after baby #4 was born and was suffering from ppd.) I am on a low dose, though. I do have a friend who had trouble getting on and coming off, but she was on a higher dose and has other health issues. The only noticable side effect for me is that it makes me more sleepy...yawn.

As Angela mentioned, the pills are very small. A bottle of 25mg pills costs the same as a bottle of 50mg pills, so I buy the 50mg and break them in half - even smaller!

Baby boy due 10.13
Back to Top View Stephanie_Q's Profile Search for other posts by Stephanie_Q Visit Stephanie_Q's Homepage

LisaD
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 28 2009 at 5:47pm | IP Logged Quote LisaD

I took Zoloft after the birth of my second for PPD/Anxiety, and had no negative side effects at all from it. It was so, so helpful to me. My experience was much like Michaela's.

eazheff
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Oct 05 2009 at 3:52pm | IP Logged Quote eazheff

Laura,
I have taken Zoloft for anxiety. I am prone to major panic attacks. After my last baby is was so severe I thought that I would not be able to care for my family. I had 2 days where it was just me, the baby and my rosary. I couldn't do anything else. My doc gave me the Zoloft and some Klonopin for the interim as it can take up to six weeks for Zoloft to kick in. It was a life saver. I have had no ill effects from it. I would encourage you to try it. I have 2 friends who have needed it for anxiety and it worked for them also. I fought meds for so long because of stigma and I wanted to be strong. Well, I now know that strength is moving forward in spite of terrible anxiety. Like I said it helped me GREATLY! I will pray for you because I know, I mean I REALLY KNOW how hard it is to live with this. May God bless and reward you.

Pax,
Beth
Back to Top View eazheff's Profile Search for other posts by eazheff

Maria B.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 05 2009 at 4:59pm | IP Logged Quote Maria B.

My thoughts and prayers are with you. After baby #6, I began suffering from horrible panic and anxiety attacks. I thought I was losing my mind, but so afraid (and prideful) to tell anyone else. I kept trying to work through them myself. This only made it worse. Long story short, I finally sought out some help and began taking various meds to help me. It took months to find something that worked for me. But, it was all worth the effort. I have never been on Zoloft, so I can't speak directly to that. I would encourage you, though, to seek help.

Back to Top View Maria B.'s Profile Search for other posts by Maria B. Visit Maria B.'s Homepage

LisaR
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 06 2009 at 10:48am | IP Logged Quote LisaR

Laura, no direct experience, but I know of quite a few moms that zoloft helped greatly.
One had kind of a "flat affect" for awhile, but that was remidied by decreasing the dosage just a bit.
MANY PRAYERS!
love and Peace of Christ,

Paul 14
Thomas 11
Dominic 8
Maria Gianna 5
Isaac Vincent 9/21/10! and...
many little saints in heaven!
Back to Top View LisaR's Profile Search for other posts by LisaR

Leocea
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 08 2009 at 11:39pm | IP Logged Quote Leocea

I am currently taking Zoloft for anxiety. 100 mg per day, and the pills are still small. In fact, going through Walgreen's, I can get 25 mg pills for $4 per month, so $16 per month for my 100 mg. The 25 mg pills are so tiny I don't need a drink to take them.
I have found a lot of relief in my anxiety, especially being able to focus, which helps us get out of the house with less fuss.
I still have some ruminating thoughts, and I start some worrying patterns here and there. Now, I am able to recognize them and stop them in their tracks.

I have been on it for about 1 1/2 years, and also took it for 2 years a few years ago.
I had some fatigue in the first few days, and that was it, mostly. If I miss a dose, I will experience more anxiety in a day or two, but I know it is related to the missed dose. I rarely miss it now.
As far as weight gain, I just had a fullterm pregnancy, and only gained 5 pounds, so I don't think it is a problem for me. My dr told me that what it really increases is your *appetite*, which then makes your weight increase too. I am sure it affect everyone differently. Also, while, hmm, sexual side-effects are often reported, and the thought worried me, this has not been a problem even with my dose.

If your dr recommends it, I think it may help a lot. Most of the side effects are mild and go away quickly if you stop taking it. I weaned off of it when I stopped a couple of years ago, and only felt a little weird. A few *zaps* in my head, as they are called. Very short-lived. Nothing serious or concerning.

Good luck to you!!

Your sister in Christ,

Leocea
Back to Top View Leocea's Profile Search for other posts by Leocea

JenniferS
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 09 2009 at 1:57pm | IP Logged Quote JenniferS

Laura,

I have never taken zoloft. My dh does take it, though. It has been a true lifesaver, and he would readily admit it. God bless and many prayers for you.

Jen
Back to Top View JenniferS's Profile Search for other posts by JenniferS

violingirl
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 12 2009 at 4:05pm | IP Logged Quote violingirl

I took Zoloft after my second son was born for about 8 months because of PPD. I have an anxiety disorder already that I was able to keep under control by really watching my diet and exercise, but the PPD sent it into overdrive. I needed the zoloft so that I could lift out of the extreme sense of being overwhlemed and incapable so that I could learn better coping techniques. I also saw a Christian therapist during that time to help me deal with everything.

The only negative for me was that it took almost 6 weeks to kick in and that was difficult because I needed something to work quickly. I was fortunate that my mother was able to help me so much with my boys during that time. Once it kicked in though, I could echo many of the women here. It helped me to feel like myself again.

Back to Top View violingirl's Profile Search for other posts by violingirl Visit violingirl's Homepage

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version