Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: Any Large Families getting IRS Audits??? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
fsuadamson
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 21 2009 at 6:57am | IP Logged Quote fsuadamson

Last week we received a notice from the IRS that we are being audited to "prove the number of dependents" on our 2007 tax returns! Now this would be the same number of dependents that we put on our 2008 & 2009 returns yet we have to prove for 2007!!!??? I am just a little annoyed that I have to prove my six kids are MINE?!?

Has anyone else been through this and do you mind sharing your experience?

Back to Top View fsuadamson's Profile Search for other posts by fsuadamson Visit fsuadamson's Homepage

juststartn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 21 2009 at 8:08am | IP Logged Quote juststartn

At least it is a simple 'fix'!

Sorry you're having to deal with it, though...

Rachel

Sophia 4/19/04
John 5/7/07
David 5/7/07
Ava Maria, in the arms of Jesus, 9/5/08
Back to Top View juststartn's Profile Search for other posts by juststartn

Booksnbabes
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 21 2009 at 8:28am | IP Logged Quote Booksnbabes

Ugh! Hope it is a simple process to clear things up.

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 21 2009 at 8:51am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

If I hadn't just seen those Acorn videos, I would be completely shocked. It is still awful for you, and yet, in those videos, the workers recommended that the couple claim the underaged, illegal El Salvadorians they were bringing in for reasons of ill-repute, as dependents on their tax return.

It makes your stomach turn, and yet the complete nonchalance way in which it was recommended makes you realize there are a lot of crazy people out there who think nothing of lying about such things. I would never have imagined.

Anyway, while I do think it could be taken as a prejudice against large families, it also seems that claiming extra dependents is a common way to cheat on taxes. Sorry you are having to go through this hassle, though. I can completely understand your frustration.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

PDyer
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 21 2009 at 8:51am | IP Logged Quote PDyer

Since you can't claim a dependent on a return without a social security number, it could be there is a problem with one of the kids' social security numbers (a number transposed, etc.).

The IRS checks the SSNs reported on the return against the records of the Social Security Administration. If they don't match then you'll get a notice.

That may not be the problem in your case, but it's a thought. Hope you get through this with a minimum of trouble.

Back to Top View PDyer's Profile Search for other posts by PDyer Visit PDyer's Homepage

fsuadamson
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 21 2009 at 9:02am | IP Logged Quote fsuadamson

Lindsey, I didn't know about that stuff from Acorn (not surprised though).... then hopefully all this is is just a case of the good has to pay the price for the bad?

Patty, good idea. I am going to take all their SS# cards with us so if one is not good they can check it.

Thanks for the support! I'm feeling a little better.

Back to Top View fsuadamson's Profile Search for other posts by fsuadamson Visit fsuadamson's Homepage

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 21 2009 at 9:03am | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

The IRS has three years to audit your return. I would imagine they haven't checked your 2008 and 2009 returns, just noted the large number of children you listed on your 2007 forms.

Just keep copies of anything you send (maybe get that delivery confirmation thing, too).

sewcrazy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 21 2009 at 9:15am | IP Logged Quote sewcrazy

Actually the IRS has 10 years to audit you. We learned that the hard way!

It is probably a SS number issue. We were audited back 10 years, because one year we accidentally transposed 2 digits in my son's SS number. In 2007 the IRS system linked with the SS system to "automatically verify" social security numbers. The IRS agent we worked with told us it has been the source of many headaches for them, as there are a lot of glitches in the system.

Good luck! And remember to read all your rights before you go. the IRS has a very loud bark, but if you know your rights, they actually don't have that much of a bite

PDyer
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 21 2009 at 9:18am | IP Logged Quote PDyer

fsuadamson wrote:
Patty, good idea. I am going to take all their SS# cards with us so if one is not good they can check it.

So are they asking for you to visit, or can you just write a letter to resolve the issue?

It's quite possible having many dependents is a auditable variable in the IRS' system. I see your two year old would have been born in 2007 (or thereabouts), so you may have been one of the lucky people with more children than is currently typical whose returns were pulled for audit because your return triggered that variable. Given the number of deductions/credits keyed from the number of dependents a family has, it's not unrealistic for the IRS to want to make sure people aren't overstating the number of dependents on their returns. Dependency is an area where people tend to want to take liberties, if I remember correctly (from a loooong time ago).

I admit I'll be curious to hear how it goes.   

Back to Top View PDyer's Profile Search for other posts by PDyer Visit PDyer's Homepage

fsuadamson
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 21 2009 at 9:24am | IP Logged Quote fsuadamson

I wish it was a simple letter....but no we have to go down town and the appointment is estimated to take up to 4 hours!! They would not allow us to discuss anything over the phone.

This is why I am so annoyed.

I am going to have my husband double check those SS#s against our tax return. I am wondering if he put our baby girl's in wrong because she was born July 2007. Thank goodness we use Turbo Tax.

sewcrazy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 21 2009 at 9:57am | IP Logged Quote sewcrazy

You don't want to discuss anything over the phone anyway. The IRS doesn't consider phone coversations "binding". Record the session with them (you are allowed to bring in a tape recorder) And don't bring in more info than they are asking for. If you are being audited for 2007, don't bring in any other year and they can't legally ask you to bring in more returns than are being audited.

I think they estimate high in the amount of time it wil take, I was told 4 to 6 hours, and it actually took about 1 hour. And we are self employeed and file a schedule C so our returns are huge!

Milehimama
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 21 2009 at 11:08am | IP Logged Quote Milehimama

Heh, I'd take ALL of my little dependents WITH me.

Hope things work out for you!

Back to Top View Milehimama's Profile Search for other posts by Milehimama Visit Milehimama's Homepage

stacykay
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 21 2009 at 11:09am | IP Logged Quote stacykay

Just talked to my CPA hubby. He said the IRS will want documentation that proves a relationship between you and your children (nuts, huh?) He said to take all six birth certificates and their ss cards.
Keep us posted!

God Bless,
Stacy in MI
Back to Top View stacykay's Profile Search for other posts by stacykay

Tami
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 21 2009 at 11:34am | IP Logged Quote Tami

Oh, Leslie, what obnoxious harrassment! I'm sorry this is happening to you.

Just a little side story, a long time ago I knew of a family that had 2 sets of twins in less than 12 months (I knew some of the siblings in high school) and went from 6 to 10 dependents in one year. And yes, the IRS didn't believe the tax return, so a field agent was sent to the house to count the children!!

The real clincher? The dad was an OB/BYN.

Back to Top View Tami's Profile Search for other posts by Tami

mimmyof5
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 21 2009 at 1:00pm | IP Logged Quote mimmyof5

This is so frustrating. We've twice had problems with claiming our children as dependents. We have twins (same date of birth) but, of course, different socials. They never looked past the birthday, I guess, to see the different socials. That was a mess.

The last thing was when we went to claim the education credit on our oldest dd. IRS said since we didn't claim her as a dependent we couldn't claim the education credit. Well, if they put enough lines on the form she would have been on the front page, but since they limit you to four dependents (I think) we had to attach another sheet. They lost it. We're still trying to get that settled.

Anyway, none of that is as frustrating as what you're going through. Hope all goes well with your appointment.

Janet
Back to Top View mimmyof5's Profile Search for other posts by mimmyof5

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 21 2009 at 1:08pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Leslie~
I think it's WONDERFUL that you posted this on the Feast Day of St. Matthew!!!!!    Patron of Tax Collectors and Accountants!!!!! I'm sure he will take good care of your family!!!!

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

fsuadamson
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 21 2009 at 1:14pm | IP Logged Quote fsuadamson

Suzanne I really needed that laugh today I had no idea about St. Matthew so "thank you". I wonder if he can help us in the leaky roof department.

While half of Ga is suffering with floods and flooded basements we have been running around putting buckets under leaks from the roof today -- sigh.

KackyK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 21 2009 at 3:33pm | IP Logged Quote KackyK

A good friend of mine had this happen to them this summer. And yes they brought the birth certificates. She said the agent there was sort of apologetic, sort of like, sorry, this sometimes happens, type of thing. All the ss#s were fine...they just ended up singled out for one reason or another. And their visit didn't take 4 hours. But I think they had an early morning appointment...so that might make the difference. I'm betting the actual time with the agent is shorter than the wait! Sorry you have to go through it!

Mom to 8 - 3 dd, 5ds & 4 babes in heaven

Beginning With the Assumption
Back to Top View KackyK's Profile Search for other posts by KackyK Visit KackyK's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 21 2009 at 3:55pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

It seems to me that there are simply random audits.. nothing wrong but the forms are pulled to check over.. and the number of dependants might be the only questionsable thing about some.

A friend of mine just went through this and that was all it was.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 21 2009 at 7:41pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

We recently had an audit on our 2007 returns as well. It wasn't a big deal, but we did end up having to pay a bit more money. Not much. I think these things just happen sometimes, like being "randomly selected" for a full search on an airport security line.
I just offer it up.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version