Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: No Sugar/Low Sugar Treats and Snacks Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 17 2009 at 9:52pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

CrunchyMom wrote:
stefoodie wrote:
agave nectar is an excellent sweetener as well -- low glycemic index, etc.

I've used agave a lot, but at the health food store, they recently changed the brand they carry. Apparently, there are questions about how it is processed and the gist I got was that some believe that it is too much like the way corn syrup is processed?

Anyway, they still sell it, but they don't "recommend" it as enthusiastically as they once did (and actually, i think that most of the employees there have stopped using it). I am using up a bottle of it as my coffee sweetener, but I'm thinking of switching to liquid stevia (as rec'd above) once I need to replace it. I do like how easily a syrup mixes into the coffee.

i'm glad you shared this. i was wondering why a few months ago it started going on sale all the time. i should have guessed.

ack. i *do not* like stevia. 4 years ago i bought a $19 bottle and totally wasted it. none of us liked it, and we hated it in our coffee. it's good to see that others like it though, i might give it another try.

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 17 2009 at 10:00pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

more info about agave in case anyone's interested.

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 17 2009 at 10:40pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

stefoodie wrote:
CrunchyMom wrote:
stefoodie wrote:
agave nectar is an excellent sweetener as well -- low glycemic index, etc.

I've used agave a lot, but at the health food store, they recently changed the brand they carry. Apparently, there are questions about how it is processed and the gist I got was that some believe that it is too much like the way corn syrup is processed?

Anyway, they still sell it, but they don't "recommend" it as enthusiastically as they once did (and actually, i think that most of the employees there have stopped using it). I am using up a bottle of it as my coffee sweetener, but I'm thinking of switching to liquid stevia (as rec'd above) once I need to replace it. I do like how easily a syrup mixes into the coffee.

i'm glad you shared this. i was wondering why a few months ago it started going on sale all the time. i should have guessed.

ack. i *do not* like stevia. 4 years ago i bought a $19 bottle and totally wasted it. none of us liked it, and we hated it in our coffee. it's good to see that others like it though, i might give it another try.

Well, I had quite the conversation about sweetening options in the baking aisle that ended up involving at least three store employees

I will have to ask again when I go in, but apparently some people find certain types of stevia much more bitter than others. They had several different kinds, and different people preferred them for all kinds of different reasons and purposes. One of the store employees actually just grows the plant and uses the leaves!

AND they actually have a chocolate flavored liquid stevia that sounds puh-ritty yummy, if you ask me.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 18 2009 at 6:40am | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Mackfam wrote:
I have been considering using stevia more...maybe that'll be my next thread!

Jen - you should try it but my view of stevia may be summed up in one word "yuk" I have tried it in baked goods, tea etc and it always has an after taste.

On the sugar thing I really believe that too much sugar does lower immunity.BUT when I did completely without sugar for 2 years I never saw a huge difference in health - and life was very drab indeed. We used sugars in moderation - usually maple syrup (despite the high cost), raw honey (though I have trouble with the glycemic index) and brown sugar. My kids all take sugar in their tea - something most of the health conscious mamas tut tut at me for - but you know - you got to have some enjoyment in life too!! I frown upon candy and unhealthy sweet treats - but sweet tea is just such a comfort!

I keep meaning to try the agave nectar - just never got round to it.

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

SusanJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 18 2009 at 9:32am | IP Logged Quote SusanJ

I also read the new thoughts on agave just before jumping on it. I just recently heard a recommendation for chocolate liquid stevia and since one of my biggest sugar vices is chocolate milk I wanted to try it out. Amazon has great prices on 2-packs of liquid stevia. They didn't actually have chocolate so I got English Toffee with some trepidation. I really like it but I had to experiment with how many drops to use. I've heard that if you use too much it is quite bitter. I use 6-8 drops for a 12-oz glass of milk and like it quite a bit.

Susan

Back to Top View SusanJ's Profile Search for other posts by SusanJ Visit SusanJ's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version