Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Movies to Watch While Suffering Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 08 2009 at 9:47pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Taffy wrote:
but I'd tune in to old episodes of "Whose Line is it Anyway?", both the U.S. and U.K. versions. I found them hysterical and great for taking my mind off of things for a bit.

I only saw that show a couple times, but I remember ROTFL!!!!!!!!!!!! HYSTERICAL!

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

KC in TX
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 08 2009 at 9:53pm | IP Logged Quote KC in TX

I watch Pride and Prejudice (BBC version; who doesn't feel good with a dose of Mr. Darcy?). The other Jane Austen movies are great as well.

Prayers, Angie.

Michaela ('01)
Emma ('03)
Jordan ('05)
And, my 2 angels, Rose ('08) and Mark ('09)

The Cabbage Patch
Back to Top View KC in TX's Profile Search for other posts by KC in TX

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Sept 08 2009 at 10:59pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Goodness, you are all the best . I am so happy to accept your recommendations and prayers. I also know that others are suffering and hope this topic will benefit many. During difficult times I find it hard to think in general so having others brainstorm movie titles is a great help.

I'll be back to reply again tomorrow about some of the movies that have been a blessing to me. I will mention, like others, that Pride and Prejudice (BBC) is pretty perfect - and I'm not even a huge P&P gal. I think it has to do with the slow pace...my mind can grasp it. There is something very soothing about the restraint and courtesy shown. Plus there are the misunderstandings that are corrected and the transformations of the characters...lovely. Oh yes, and there is that Darcy character .

Good night, ladies .

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

MrsM
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 08 2009 at 11:31pm | IP Logged Quote MrsM

Goodnight dear!

Mom to darling Elizabeth and Francis, held in Mary's arms and always in my heart
Back to Top View MrsM's Profile Search for other posts by MrsM

stacykay
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 09 2009 at 7:08am | IP Logged Quote stacykay

After my mom died, I found I didn't like terribly heavy movies. If I had to pick something, funny or light-hearted is it.
I do love P&P! and many of the other movies mentioned (especially "A Christmas Story".)    I tend to watch OLD movies, comedies (mostly OLDIES, but some new-I laughed so hard I cried at "The Proposal" but that is still in the theaters?,) musicals, or reruns of "I Love Lucy."

I don't care for movies that are based on real life tragedies. For example, I have never seen "Titanic," and I don't ever plan to; and I know that movie is a favorite of many I know! But I will watch "The Longest Day," or cry at the end of "The King and I," which I have seen dozens of times, and I still always cry when Yul Brynner dies.

I remember my dad, when I was a young teen, no longer cared for anything that had a hospital theme. This was after he lost his dad and his own heart attack. I don't know if that really had anything to do with it?
Maybe we reach a point in life where there are enough real sad events going around, that we don't need to add more, even if it is just a movie?

God Bless,
Stacy in MI
Back to Top View stacykay's Profile Search for other posts by stacykay

LucyP
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 09 2009 at 7:23am | IP Logged Quote LucyP

Definitely light, fluffy, innocent, familiar - I don't need to engage with someone else's sufferings (just invented or a portrayal of real-life suffering by an actor) - so Jane Austen adaptations, old series (I will watch Columbo or Sherlock holmes since although people may die it is so unreal it doesn't seem upsetting)
Back to Top View LucyP's Profile Search for other posts by LucyP

stacykay
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 09 2009 at 7:32am | IP Logged Quote stacykay

Oh, I didn't even mention which movies!
"The Shop Around the Corner"
"Arsenic and Old Lace"
"His Girl Friday"
"Operation Petticoat"
"The Bishop's Wife"
(yes, I really like Cary Grant!)
"My Man Godfrey"
Most Fred Astaire dancing movies
Most Marx Brothers
"Some Like it Hot" (not for kiddies)
Most John Wayne movies! (I think, partially, because he reminds me of my mom, because my mom adored him AND my mom's brother looked ALOT like him.)
"Sense and Sensibility" (with Emma Thompson)
"Sleepless in Seattle"
"You've Got Mail"
(Except for some of the John Wayne movies, all have happy endings.)
Most Christmas movies (especially old ones)

A bit of a varied list.

God Bless,
Stacy in MI
Back to Top View stacykay's Profile Search for other posts by stacykay

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 09 2009 at 7:41am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

LucyP wrote:
Definitely light, fluffy, innocent, familiar - I don't need to engage with someone else's sufferings (just invented or a portrayal of real-life suffering by an actor) - so Jane Austen adaptations, old series (I will watch Columbo or Sherlock holmes since although people may die it is so unreal it doesn't seem upsetting)

Columbo would definitely be one of those series I might settle in with!

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

stellamaris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 09 2009 at 8:32am | IP Logged Quote stellamaris

We all love the old "Get Smart" series here. Also, a hysterical read for history buffs, Non Campus Mentis, is a compilation of actual excerpts from college history papers. This is a laugh-out-loud favorite. Great insights on history, such as "civilization woozed out of the Nile valley" and "St. Theresa of Avila was a carmelized nun!" Laughter is the best medicine.

Flowing Streams
Back to Top View stellamaris's Profile Search for other posts by stellamaris Visit stellamaris's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Sept 09 2009 at 10:11am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

And especially for you, Angie, some baseball movies need to be included.

The Rockie
Field of Dreams
Angels in the Outfield (old and remake both)
Pride of the Yankees
The Jackie Robinson Story
The Pride of St. Louis

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Sept 09 2009 at 10:28am | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Excellent selections! Keep them coming...

I have a few to add...

Just Like Heaven - light romantic comedy. I like both leads (Reese Witherspoon and Mark Ruffalo) and the music is (mostly) very pretty. It is also pro-life and gives a tip of the hat to the mystery of life.

13 Going on 30 - light romantic comedy. Mark Ruffalo again with Jennifer Garner (charming.) 80's funny flash-backs and the dance scene is worth the whole watch.

Legally Blonde - Reese Witherspoon again - how does she pull this ridiculous role off?

To Kill a Mockingbird - Heavy but the pace is slow...Gregory Peck is outstanding and this movie is drenched in humanity and soul-soothing justice.

North and South - akin to Pride and Prejudice with a guy named Mr. Thornton:)... the end is so sweet.

I need to run...

Thanks and Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

DominaCaeli
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 09 2009 at 11:32am | IP Logged Quote DominaCaeli

I do light movies too, though "light" for me can mean anything from romantic comedies to international intrigue--as long as there's not too much drama or emotion and it has a happy ending.

I also follow Taffy's idea of a little stand-up comedy during trying times. I'd recommend anything by Brian Regan--funny, funny stuff (and clean too)! There are lots of clips of his bits on YouTube.

Mommy to six: three boys (8, 4, newborn) and four girls (7, 5, 2, and 1)
Back to Top View DominaCaeli's Profile Search for other posts by DominaCaeli

ladycarobe
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 10 2009 at 7:53am | IP Logged Quote ladycarobe

I can't be the only one who can't do 'romantic comedies' when I'm not feeling well (although I make an exception for Pride&Prejudice), last year my dh bought me the complete 10 years of Stargate-SG1...that is about as far away from my life as possible ...perfect.

mom to dd6 , dd4 and dd2 and pregnant.
Back to Top View ladycarobe's Profile Search for other posts by ladycarobe

mimmyof5
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 10 2009 at 5:06pm | IP Logged Quote mimmyof5

When my father was in intensive care and then later a nursing facility, and I was having to go over twice a day to help him eat, and felt like the whole world was crashing in, I would come home and watch Lord of Rings. It helped me look for light at the end of tunnel and the courage to keep moving forward.

Other than that, I would watch all the Sherlock Holmes (w/Jeremy Brett) and Hercule Poirot episodes - available at the library. They kept my mind occupied.

Janet
Back to Top View mimmyof5's Profile Search for other posts by mimmyof5

JuliaT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 10 2009 at 10:14pm | IP Logged Quote JuliaT

I have been doing alot of movie watching since my cancer diagnosis last week. I don't really care what movies I watch, I just have this inexplicable need to cuddle up on the couch with a blanket and a good movie and escape for two hours.

In the past few weeks (while waiting for my biopsy results) I have watched Sense and Sensibility, Miss Potter, Becoming Jane, Pride and Prejudice, The Secret Lives of Martha Ivers (I think that is the title, it is with Kirk Douglas and Barbara Stanwyck,) and Hamlet with Mel Gibson.

On the weekend, a very good friend took me to the movies to see Julie and Julia. That is a very good 'feel good' movie. When it comes out on DVD, I plan on buying it for times such as these.

Blessings,
Julia
mom of 3 (10,8,6)
Back to Top View JuliaT's Profile Search for other posts by JuliaT

Syncletica
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 10 2009 at 10:58pm | IP Logged Quote Syncletica

I haven't watched many movies, but I enjoyed

Wild Hearts Can't Be Broken

The Princess Bride

I think I saw 'Anne of Green Gables' mentioned already, but will mention it again.

Back to Top View Syncletica's Profile Search for other posts by Syncletica Visit Syncletica's Homepage

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 11 2009 at 7:07am | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

I'm trying to think of movies that no one else has mentioned. I love and gravitate toward romantic comedies when I'm having a hard time, too.

How about Brigadoon? Music and Lyrics is fun, too, especially if you were a teen in the 80's.

~Books

mothering ds'93 dd'97 dd'99 dd'02 ds'05 ds'07 and due 9/10
Back to Top View Bookswithtea's Profile Search for other posts by Bookswithtea

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 11 2009 at 7:09am | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

Angie Mc wrote:
Legally Blonde - Reese Witherspoon again - how does she pull this ridiculous role off?

I was so skeptical when we rented this, figuring it was going to be really dumb. It is a totally fun movie. I like Reese Witherspoon. She is great in Sweet Home Alabama, too.

~Books

mothering ds'93 dd'97 dd'99 dd'02 ds'05 ds'07 and due 9/10
Back to Top View Bookswithtea's Profile Search for other posts by Bookswithtea

Mimip
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 11 2009 at 9:12am | IP Logged Quote Mimip

"Operation Petticoat"

OHHHHH I love this movie!!

Back to Top View Mimip's Profile Search for other posts by Mimip

4 lads mom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 11 2009 at 11:28am | IP Logged Quote 4 lads mom

Okay, I realize it is only September....BUT....one of the sweetest movies I have watched that lifts me like no other when dealing with all of this *stuff*..

"It's a Wonderful Life"

The last scene just makes me smile and cry.....I love it!! All of those people bringing George the money....I know that life isn't this tidy, at least it doesn't ever look quite like that....but you know, Heaven does win in the end....it WILL look like this one day...

I also love the end of "The Return of the King" when Frodo and crew are in the pub, and he is looking all around with those weary eyes.....he knows he will never be the same again...I know how that is.

Great thread!!!

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version