Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: too traditional Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 20 2009 at 1:28pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Yk, I felt like that a lot as a teen, but it was because *I* wasn't interested in the same movies, music, and topics as my peers. I recall being made fun of for the television shows I watched, and my parents did have more rules about such things than other families, but they weren't that strict.

Frankly, that is still often true as an adult, though I now have more genuine friends than I have at any other point in my life, I don't really have irl peers who are interested in discussing a lot of my biggest interests.

Unless they are genuinely *interested* in the things of which these other children speak, I don't see how your relaxing your standards would make your children fit in better (or feel as though they fit in better--its entirely possible for the teen who looks normal and watches the normal movies to feel the exact same way but just find it easier to "fake" it, iykwim).

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

Stephanie_Q
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 20 2009 at 3:58pm | IP Logged Quote Stephanie_Q

LML22 wrote:

Actually, it is not so much about our rules and standards. They agree with most of it. HOWEVER, they feel like they don't have a close friend due to these beliefs. They feel left out of the talk because the other kids will be talking about this band or that movie (that we don't do) and so they don't feel like they don't have much in common. My ds mentioned some music that he likes and the other kids laughed and said it was awful music. Doesn't make a teen feel real good when that happens. Also, a lot of these kids do video games/Wii and we don't. My dc like to talk about their hobbies (musical instruments and building/animal projects) and most of the talk is over guitar hero or something like that. It gets frustrating to them.

I see what you mean. My husband was home schooled through high school and feels like he "missed" out on a lot of the high school experiences that some of our friends and aquaintances talk about. As someone else mentioned, it is much easier to be friends with an individual - they can find things in common to do or talk about. When we get in a group the conversations tend to turn to "remember when", especially where everyone went to the same school. My dh feels really left out, then. As someone from 'outside' the group, it can be hard for me, too. For example, my SILs went to highschool together and I'm several years older than them and from out of state although sometimes I can relate a story from my own high school experience more easily than my husband would be able to. There are lots of instances where we don't fit in to a group and not just because of our beliefs, but, as someone mentioned, because of our interests and in other cases, because of our experiences. Maybe pointing that out can help?

Baby boy due 10.13
Back to Top View Stephanie_Q's Profile Search for other posts by Stephanie_Q Visit Stephanie_Q's Homepage

Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 21 2009 at 9:43am | IP Logged Quote Willa

CrunchyMom wrote:
Yk, I felt like that a lot as a teen, but it was because *I* wasn't interested in the same movies, music, and topics as my peers. I recall being made fun of for the television shows I watched, and my parents did have more rules about such things than other families, but they weren't that strict.

Ditto, and that is important. It's not just about being homeschooled, or being too traditional or too strict.   

Plus, sometimes the kids that look like they "fit in" don't really feel like they do.

Bringing Up Geeks is a good book on this topic.

I think homeschooled kids sometimes think it is homeschooling that makes them "different" when probably a lot of kids shared the "I'm different" experience in the teen years but figured it was something to do with them personally -- awkwardness or different interests -- or that their family was stricter or poorer than others. In other words, feeling "different" isn't just a homeschooled or traditional thing but those particular differences give the teen something to pin it on.

Take Up and Read
Back to Top View Willa's Profile Search for other posts by Willa

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 21 2009 at 11:07am | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

Willa wrote:

I think homeschooled kids sometimes think it is homeschooling that makes them "different" when probably a lot of kids shared the "I'm different" experience in the teen years but figured it was something to do with them personally -- awkwardness or different interests -- or that their family was stricter or poorer than others. In other words, feeling "different" isn't just a homeschooled or traditional thing but those particular differences give the teen something to pin it on.

Definitely. Homeschooling, or dresses only, or whatever, becomes the easy thing to blame. And teens seem to want to find something to blame. I would make a point of trying to connect with the family who has made similar choices a bit more, if you can. The other thing is that sometimes it can help a teen to do something for someone else when they are focused on their own needs. Volunteering at a local thrift store, the library at story time, etc can be a distraction and help them to pull out of a funk.

~Books

mothering ds'93 dd'97 dd'99 dd'02 ds'05 ds'07 and due 9/10
Back to Top View Bookswithtea's Profile Search for other posts by Bookswithtea

Stacy Y
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Sept 11 2009 at 6:08pm | IP Logged Quote Stacy Y

I followed the same standards as you (except the latin mass ) when I was a protestant and found it much easier to find fellowship with other like-minded people. Since I have converted to Catholicism, and only naturally kept my very conservative standards, it has been very, very frustrating to find like minded friends. I have a very small few, but nothing like what I experienced as a protestant. We had whole colleges and family camps and conventions full of thousands of likeminded people. It was a whole culture, almost, something I long to give to my children.

I am curious if there are more conservative diocese where I might find more fellowship, maybe just because I am in Los Angeles where our bishop and most priests are so liberal? I love being Catholic so much and would rather die than leave the church or go back to being a protestant, but I do miss the conservative fellowship so very much.
Back to Top View Stacy Y's Profile Search for other posts by Stacy Y

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 12 2009 at 8:38am | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

LA? You are going to have a harder time finding that sort of community.

If you don't mind driving, try this parish. I think you would find that community you are looking for. Its a magnet parish with lots of people with similar values to the ones you describe. The priests are traditional, the ccd is trustworthy, the church itself is beautiful, and there are tons of homeschoolers. People drive up to 2 hrs each way to attend there...even from the high desert!

Fwiw, I converted from the same kind of protestant-ism that you are describing, too, only I wasn't raised that way. Its definitely a different world, huh??

~Books

mothering ds'93 dd'97 dd'99 dd'02 ds'05 ds'07 and due 9/10
Back to Top View Bookswithtea's Profile Search for other posts by Bookswithtea

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version