Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: what do you wear when you teach? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
10 Bright Stars
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 12 2009 at 1:43pm | IP Logged Quote 10 Bright Stars

Hi all,

If you are like me, you are most likely getting up each day and throwing on yoga pants and an old t-shirt, but I recently re-vamped our school area and it looks so professional now, that I was thinking about the whole "looking professional" thing in general. (Plus the poor kids have to stare at me all day. ) Most of my clothes are quite ratty since I usually buy things for the kids if I have the money AND I have a really hard time finding clothes to fit my large/tall frame. I have a few nice things for church which I would not want to wear around the house obviously since they were pricey and very hard to find! If I were to "invest" in clothes for my vocation (which would have to be minimal and I am tall/large so things never fit me from Goodwill.) what would be a good investment? What works for you all?

I think I may have posted this question along time ago that was sparked by my seeing a picture of myself teaching at the board at home looking rather ridiculous. (high-watered yoga pants, tennis shoes with black socks and a stained t-shirt. ) I thought it looked awful then, but haven't done much to change it since I am pregnant currently, then I will be nursing, and after all the money I am spending on new hole punchers (just shelled out $40 for a new one online a second ago! ), I feel like I would have to get more of a "uniform"; something that could transition from schooling to cooking etc., yet be attractive enough to wear if I needed to pop out to the store. I guess this was the idea behind the old "jean jumper" homeschool look of yesteryear, but I look HORRIBLE in jean jumpers. (picture a chunky, straight line and that is me. I took my measurements recently and they are all the same????????? ) I guess you have to laugh at yourself after awhile when you are pregnant. A shirt and skirt made out of sweatpant material (not tight of course and the skirt would have to be longer as I am tall) would be so comfy but where can you find things like that? Maybe that would be an idea??? Blue jean materials and things that are heavier weight fabrics like that make me look like Mother Goose.   

Advice??      

Mary 12, Gracie 10,
Isabelle and Sophia 8,
Gabrielle 6,
William Anthony 4, Joseph 3 and Luisa Marie - born in M
Back to Top View 10 Bright Stars's Profile Search for other posts by 10 Bright Stars Visit 10 Bright Stars's Homepage

folklaur
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 12 2009 at 2:01pm | IP Logged Quote folklaur

i tried to do the "getting dressed for school" for a time with me and my kids. it didn't work for us! we like to get too messy.   

but - you do mention this:

Eight Wonders wrote:
A shirt and skirt made out of sweatpant material (not tight of course and the skirt would have to be longer as I am tall) would be so comfy but where can you find things like that?   

have you looked at places like Blair and Roamans and Woman Within? They have tall sizes.

Here is the All American Comfort Sport Knit Skirt. it comes in lots of colors. it might not be quite what you want, but it could be a start?

hth
Back to Top View folklaur's Profile Search for other posts by folklaur

teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 12 2009 at 2:08pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

No help here. I am a jeans, t-shirt (or sweatshirt), barefoot (or slippers), hair in a scrunchie teacher!

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Aug 12 2009 at 2:22pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Hi Kim.

So...talking in general terms at first, then prego specifics and ideas with links! ....

I think most women have a basic color they are drawn to of either black or brown. What do you tend towards as your neutral...like, what color is your favorite leather purse? Mine is a dark, rich brown. A lot of women tend towards black.

If you're drawn to brown, your neutral colors are likely to be in the palette of khakis and browns...if you're drawn to black, you can just choose some basics and shoes in black - make sense? So shoes, bag, and basic pieces (skirt, capris, pants) in your basic neutral (brown or black). Choose one pair of cute but practical ballet flats or Mary Janes in your neutral color.

Then think of colorful options in neutral colors that mix and match easily. Choose some cheerful shirts, button downs, nicer knit shirts, etc for pairing with your neutrals...these should be colors you know look good on you...you know, the ones that when you wear, your dh always says, "honey, you look nice in that." Choose color variations in that family.

A few maternity options that look nice...

Cotton broomstick type skirts are nice, can be found in the non-maternity sections. If they are long enough the waistband can just sit above your belly. Pair this with a cute knit shirt that is long and fitted (NOT tight, but not like the big bell maternity shirts either) and that would be adorable and comfy!

I like Motherhood...some of the options are...well...skimpy, but if you dig and are persistent you can find some nice options....like these long maternity skirts. I know you said you're tall, but I have many of these skirts and they are quite long! These stores are usually in the mall...it'd be worthwhile to pop over and try a few on. Pair them with longer nice knit shirts - non-maternity shirts would work fine...in fact, with what's out there right now, they'd probably work better!!! Another option is a nice poplin button down over a pretty t-shirt. Find your favorite adorable flats and you're set!

Have fun updating! Start with neutral basics that fit well...whether it comes from maternity or not, and then add in some colorful tops. A freshened look is always uplifting!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 12 2009 at 2:22pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Well for the area we are in, denim as a bottom is perfectly acceptable.

I also looked at my dh.. when he's not wearing some sort of uniform, or dressed up for church, he wears jeans and a t-shirt.

So I wear denim/twill/corduroy skirts (or pants/capris) with knit tops though I try and go a step up from your basic tee.. not necessarily more dressy just ones with a different cut and drape to them than a basic tee usually has.

This is my favorite denim skirt and hmm it used to come in talls. Not sure if they'll get more for fall or not.

Something else simple that might let you use some things you already have.. is a loose shirt/jacket to wear over a tee or tank.. then you tuck the tee or tank into your pants or skirt and wear the loose shirt over that.. that will give you some definition of a waist but also give you the length.. but having that waistband showing in the front will keep you from looking all one width.

I also like woman within.. read the reviews on the items, they usually give you a good clue if it's going to run big or small or what.. DO CHECK THE SIZING CHARTS.. they use a different size range than say.. walmart.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 12 2009 at 2:28pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

oh and for those yoga pants.. a long tunic (or short dress even) can be worn over them for a cute outfit. If they're not long enough get them capri length rather than wearing too short but not short enough pants. Some of my favorite maternity outfits are babydoll style tunics (can't wear them when not pregnant) over knit capris.

Also, for maternity, realize that a long sleeve stretchy top underneath a short sleeve maternity top(I can wear my turtlenecks pregnant or not for instance) will give you a cute outfit (especially if the under-shirt and your bottoms match in color) without having to buy more maternity clothes.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 12 2009 at 2:31pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

i am now thoroughly embarrassed reading this thread. i have not given a single thought to what i'm wearing when i teach! some days, jammies. some days i'm dressed (jeans or skirt and top) if we plan to go somewhere.

great food for thought! i'll be thinking about this some more. thanks for the thread!

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

AndieF
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Aug 12 2009 at 2:35pm | IP Logged Quote AndieF

Well, I'm not pregnant, and I'm not tall, but I'm, uh, fluffy (my biggest problem is that I have no chest, a smaller than normal waist, and bigger than average hips. A TOTAL pear.) So skirts work much better for me. I tend to get knit shirts, and if I find one that I like, I buy 4 or 5, especially if they are reasonably priced. Then I have a few skirts that I rotate through - my jean skirt that I got at Goodwill, a black knit skirt from Land's End, a navy knit skirt from Land's End, but this is a slightly heavier weight, and I have a matching knit cardigan. All of the clothes are VERY comfortable, but I feel more professional and ready for the day when I wear these clothes. Although there are still those days when I wear yoga pants and a t-shirt too!

Andie
homeschooling mom to dd 9, dd 7, and ds 4.
Back to Top View AndieF's Profile Search for other posts by AndieF

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Aug 12 2009 at 2:35pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

JodieLyn wrote:
Some of my favorite maternity outfits are babydoll style tunics (can't wear them when not pregnant) over knit capris.

Oh, yes!!! That's very cute! Babydoll tops look adorable when pregnant...cause they're basically maternity tops to me anyway!

Definitely do look with an open mind in the non-maternity department. You're more likely to find something more suitable to wear there than in maternity these days....and often some of the styles, like the broomstick skirts, knit capris or skirts, long knit tunic tops, nice button downs worn over a nicer t, babydoll shirts (even if you need to wear a little white t-shirt shell underneath for coverage up top) look very nice while pregnant and afford a growing belly comfort and fashion!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Donna Marie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 12 2009 at 3:29pm | IP Logged Quote Donna Marie

I am usually barefoot and hair up in a pretty twist sporting sweats and a t shirt...I play hard and I need very wash and wear
Although! I am trying for a better look....bear with me...

I was thinking of wearing a toolbelt with the essentials (think The Pacifier here)
could you imagine?? Wearing everything that I could use at a moments notice that would still allow me to do my homeschooling job in a timely fashion and not lose my audience??
I need ROOM for:
duct tape
packing tape
multi colored sharpies
pre-sharpened pencils and hand held sharpener
kid safe scissors
index cards
aaand a place for any:
stray legos, marbles(yes, I have lost a few on occasion, and assorted choking-sized items that the baby was about to chomp into...
the TV remote (for classes on dvd) and the remote phone...and a pretty handkerchief!

But in reality...I have always thought a skirt with a nice shirt and sandals might be nice with a pretty apron....and then I could do something more classy...like Jennifer Lopez in
The Wedding Planner IYKWIM
LOL!

Finding Elegant Simplicity
Back to Top View Donna Marie's Profile Search for other posts by Donna Marie Visit Donna Marie's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 12 2009 at 3:31pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Aprons are nice for adding pockets

-Sir Walter Scott

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Aug 12 2009 at 3:51pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Donna Marie wrote:
I was thinking of wearing a toolbelt with the essentials (think The Pacifier here)
could you imagine?? Wearing everything that I could use at a moments notice that would still allow me to do my homeschooling job in a timely fashion and not lose my audience??

You're killin' me, Donna Marie!!!!!! You know, my pediatrician wears a handyman toolbelt as he rolls from room to room...you might be on to something!

Donna Marie wrote:
But in reality...I have always thought a skirt with a nice shirt and sandals might be nice with a pretty apron....
That's exactly what I do! I aprons!!!! And, I have a pocketful of marbles as we speak! both mine and the boy's!

anniemm
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 12 2009 at 6:07pm | IP Logged Quote anniemm

Donna Marie, I'm going to wake my children from their naps with my giggling!!! Too funny! I love the idea of an apron for pockets though!

Maybe sometime you could pick up or borrow a copy of It's So You! by Mary Sheehan Warren. I got my copy from Cathswap for next to nothing!

One thing she suggests that might work well for you is picking a neutral bottom (as Jennifer suggests for neutrals) and mixing it up with tops. So, for me, my neutral of choice is black. So, I would have all black skirts, yoga pants, regular pants, and maybe some jeans. Then add tops in colors/styles you like.

I think because of how I was raised, I tend to get myself and the children dressed and made up (me not my kids!) completely every day. I have 3 (almost 4...) girls, so dresses are super easy for them and for me. So are skirts and a basic top.

I like solid colors and comfortable clothes. So, I often pick soft, flowy skirts (I would wear more jeans and pants, but my DH prefers skirts...so that's the route we take) in a solid with a solid top and then add maybe a necklace or pair of earrings. If I go out, I might add a scarf, cardigan, or soon a baby in a cute wrap! lol It's not complicated or overly fussy, but it looks nice at least. When I'm not pregnant, my favorite outfit is my long black jersey knit skirt with a long sleeved t-shirt and sandals or ballet flats.

Anyway, it's comfortable and takes minimal effort (for dressing, laundering, and mix-and-match-ing).

Mama to four little girls (04), (05), (07), (09),& my 1st little guy 11/11
www.hiswillmypeace.com
Back to Top View anniemm's Profile Search for other posts by anniemm Visit anniemm's Homepage

anniemm
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 12 2009 at 6:12pm | IP Logged Quote anniemm

The other advantage to mix and match is that it doesn't cost so much to have several outfits.

I severely limit how many clothes the girls and I have, otherwise it will get out of hand. I buy the best quality I can afford at the lowest prices (always waiting for sales) so that they last longer, stretching their value.

You are worth the upfront cost! It's hard as a mother to justify purchasing things for yourself, so if you have to, change your thinking! I try to think of it as something that will please my husband and reflect well on my vocation when we are out or if someone drops by!

Mama to four little girls (04), (05), (07), (09),& my 1st little guy 11/11
www.hiswillmypeace.com
Back to Top View anniemm's Profile Search for other posts by anniemm Visit anniemm's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 12 2009 at 7:08pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Donna Marie!!!!!

I dress for the day, which can mean anything from shorts, T-shirts and crocs for a day at home, swimming suit with a cover-up and flip-flops for beach days, or a loose cotton skirt, T-shirt and sandals for a day out and about (library, museums, etc). This winter I can see adding a pair of jeans, tennies, and a hoodie to the mix.
It works for me!

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Nique
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 12 2009 at 10:33pm | IP Logged Quote Nique

cactus mouse wrote:

Here is the All American Comfort Sport Knit Skirt. it comes in lots of colors. it might not be quite what you want, but it could be a start? hth

Oooh, very nice! Thanks for the link!

And THANK YOU Kim for starting this thread

Back to Top View Nique's Profile Search for other posts by Nique

SusanJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 13 2009 at 6:02am | IP Logged Quote SusanJ

Kim,

I try to dress nicely every day. It's a work in progress--the habit as well as my wardrobe! But over the last year I've really noticed how much it affects my outlook on the day to be dressed nicely, and wear makeup (we won't talk about my hair "style" right now ).

I just finished reading It's So You by Mary Sheehan Warren. It's not in print, as you can see, but I wonder if you can still get it directly from the author. I'm sure I first heard of this book here so there might be another discussion about it.

Anyway, I thought the book was really fantastic. Very solid and practical with a great attitude about fashion and femininity. If you were really thinking about investing in clothes--even just one outfit--I would consider trying to read this book. If I followed her advice I'd have to dump 90% of my wardrobe (and I have a SMALL wardrobe!) and start over. I can't afford to do that wholesale but I'm excited that now I'll know what I"m doing when I have money to replace outfits.

If you can't get the book I'd be happy to share more details. Jennifer's advice about color palette (brown v. black) is one example of something you learn reading the book.

Susan

Back to Top View SusanJ's Profile Search for other posts by SusanJ Visit SusanJ's Homepage

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 13 2009 at 7:22am | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

Kim, how tall are you? I am 5 11 and have scoured places for lovely solutions. I have ideas if I know what your height is.

~Books

mothering ds'93 dd'97 dd'99 dd'02 ds'05 ds'07 and due 9/10
Back to Top View Bookswithtea's Profile Search for other posts by Bookswithtea

Marcia
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 13 2009 at 7:44am | IP Logged Quote Marcia

um I thought all homeschooling moms wore habits. :) it's easy to have hidden pockets for extra pencils and scissors, crayons etc. and it covers so much. With the long dress and scapular you don't have to worry about your changing figure due to more and more babies and less time to exercise!

I think everyone should just give in and wear habits!

just kidding.

I know when I'm "fully dressed" I have a better day and feel more successful. And we tend to get to church if I am dressed. :)

I wonder why
Back to Top View Marcia's Profile Search for other posts by Marcia

10 Bright Stars
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 13 2009 at 8:30am | IP Logged Quote 10 Bright Stars

WOW!! You all have been so helpful with so many ideas and thank you for the links as I have dial-up so that makes searching easier!

Donna Marie, It is so funny you should mention a tool belt since that is on my "to buy" list for the school year. I wanted to put the small cordless phone in there, notepad with a small pencil to jot down stuff to remember (like why I went upstairs perhaps? ) and various other things you always seem to need. An apron would be a pretty option too. I was thinking at first of those cloth toolbelts you can get at home depot for a few bucks, but I am sure that would be easy to make in a nice color. It would also be great for picking up bits of things all day.   

Books,
I am 5'10" but I am mostly legs. I am shorter than my 5'2" SIL when we sit down for example! They used to call me "Grasshopper" in school. So, all legs, short torso.

I agree Andrea. I should just make the investment as how I dress, as Susan mentioned, really can affect your spirit and outlook for the day. Plus, like I said, what sort of example am I setting not only for being feminine (although I am sure we could all look feminine in sweats and t also if we carry ourselves well and they are clean and well fitting. (mine tend to have paint stains!!) But, I was thinking if I am dressed a little bit more professionally, I will probably take the task at hand more seriously first thing in the morning and the kids will see that I am taking it seriously. Then, I can switch to sweats and things later in the day when I start cooking/cleaning or go for a walk. But, starting the day off in a nice knit skirt and t even seems more attractive for me personally than what I have been doing.

Thanks so much for all the help. I wish you all could go shopping with me! I think I will look into other stores for non-maternity options as mentioned. Most of the dresses and skirts I wear to church are not maternity. I found a few nice dresses on the larger side of Dress Barn last pregnancy. If you just get your size, but in the W size, it works around the tummy!

Mary 12, Gracie 10,
Isabelle and Sophia 8,
Gabrielle 6,
William Anthony 4, Joseph 3 and Luisa Marie - born in M
Back to Top View 10 Bright Stars's Profile Search for other posts by 10 Bright Stars Visit 10 Bright Stars's Homepage

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version