Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: Menu planning--help!!! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 03 2009 at 7:45pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

This might be nice for a summer meal and it's italian.. I got it from a friend. I would think you could substitute in chicken for the beef?

Quote:
Italian Beef Sandwiches

1 jar ( 11-1/2 ounces) pepperoncinis
1 boneless beef chuck roast (3-1/2 to 4 pounds)
1/4 Cup water
1 -3/4 teaspoons dried basil
1 -1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 -1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 -1/4 teaspoons salt
1/4 Tsp pepper
10 to 12 hard rolls split

Drain pepperoncinis, reserving liquid. Remove and discard stems of peppers; set peppers aside. Cut roast into large chunks; place a third of meat in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Add water.
In a small bowl, combine the basil, garlic powder, oregano, salt and pepper; sprinkle half over beef. Layer with half of the remaining meat, then reserved peppers and liquid. Top with remaining meat and herb mixture.
Cover and cook on low for 8-9 hours or until meat is tender. Shred beef with two forks. Using a slotted spoon, serve beef and peppers on rolls. Yield: 10-12 servings.

Now my problem here would be the kids.. I would love to have long leisurely meals.. but it's not leisurely if the kids have to be corraled and corrected constantly.

So.. I might look at perhaps serving your salads more casually, perhaps in the living room for the adults with tv trays or such.. so that the kids wouldn't be expected to come and sit for dinner until the main portion was served. And then again perhaps let the kids go play after a reasonable length of time.. and then serve dessert.. again.. if you serve something that holds well.. you can give the kids dessert after lunch.. and then serve that same dessert for the adults, perhaps in the living room after dinner.

You might also try moving the meal forward somewhat.. and then everyone going for a walk after dinner?

You can even have extras with the dessert to help balance the sugar.. so for instance.. you might serve a fresh fruit and have yogurt or cottage cheese or even sliced cheddar cheese with it.. which will give you some protein along with the sugar.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 03 2009 at 9:07pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

Bread, cheese and fruit for dessert...definitely Italian!

Red Cardigan
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 04 2009 at 12:50am | IP Logged Quote Red Cardigan

Oh, some of these recipes look really delicious! I make a chicken cacciatore, but never thought of making it in the crockpot--that would be great, b/c one of my difficulties with this kind of formal meal is that the main course is usually ready too early and by the time salad is over I'm warming it up again, etc. And that sandwich recipe looks wonderful, too!

I love the idea of a walk after dinner, but unfortunately the weather here's probably not going to cooperate. Still, there might be something else we could do after dinner together, like a game (which I know they like).

Jodie, I did used to let the girls "come and go" more when they were younger, but they kind of understand now (they're 13, 12, and 11). It was much harder when they were little. I think my MIL was used to the era where you could put a child in a high chair and give him some toys, and he'd be happy there for an hour or more while the family ate. Few people really live that way anymore.

I do really appreciate everyone's suggestions! It's helping me make some real plans instead of following my usual "last minute panic" strategy.

KC in TX
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 04 2009 at 8:23am | IP Logged Quote KC in TX

Bridget wrote:
No help here, I just wanted to say that I am impressed by what a devoted daughter in law you are. The essence of charity.

Me, too!

Michaela ('01)
Emma ('03)
Jordan ('05)
And, my 2 angels, Rose ('08) and Mark ('09)

The Cabbage Patch
Back to Top View KC in TX's Profile Search for other posts by KC in TX

Natalia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 04 2009 at 8:38am | IP Logged Quote Natalia

For dessert here are some you can make ahead of time:

Frozen Banana Pineapple Cups

Four Layer Delight

Fluffy Mint Dessert

And Frozen Berries with Hot White Chocolate Sauce from Barefoot Contessa. (This one can not be made ahead of time but it is easy)

HTH

Back to Top View Natalia's Profile Search for other posts by Natalia

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version