Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: OK Southern ladies..... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
LeeAnn
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 28 2009 at 6:17pm | IP Logged Quote LeeAnn

Suzanne, it helps if you can just stop moving.

I am fine as long as I am sitting here with my laptop and the fan right on me. Every time I have to get up and get something for the kids I get hot, cranky and woozy. Just one more hour and it should start cooling down, right???

Cold cereal sound OK for dinner, kids?

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 28 2009 at 6:52pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

LeeAnn wrote:
Suzanne, it helps if you can just stop moving.
No kidding!    You know it's bad when *I* am watching a Tigger movie....

LeeAnn wrote:
Cold cereal sound OK for dinner, kids?

Yep....that's what's on the menu over here too!   

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 28 2009 at 11:55pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Suzanne, just watch out for the Heffalump Movie.. can't tell you the number of times me and the little one in my lap have napped to Kanga's lullaby

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 29 2009 at 7:27am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Syncletica wrote:
How did they manage long ago when there was no A/C? What about when they had to work all day, no matter what? I feel like I'm being such a sissy for complaining about it, and then remembering that our ancestors didn't have such luxury. Then remembering the women who worked in the fields while big and pregnant, even giving birth there. They had to be tough.

I think, too, that homes today are not as well designed. Homes in the South were built with those big porches and eaves to shade from the sun. Close attention was paid to what rooms were are what side of the house, window placement, etc... AND, the windows and doors were placed so that opening them created a cross breeze. Modern homes are built assuming one will have or use air conditioning, and so I think that doing without is worse than doing without then.

In Mediterranean cultures, a siesta is traditional and everything closes down for the afternoon (hottest part of the day) and people rest. Of course, their culture also has them eating dinner at 9:00 at night!

I tend to think the stories of women giving birth in the fields are exaggerated. Lots of cultures have elaborate traditions for taking care of women postpartum. If it is true, I think it is the exception not the rule, and so, I really don't feel like a wimp for resting before and after having a baby.

My pastor who is super hot natured and sweats all summer long in his vestments and cassock is fond of saying, "well, I'd rather be hot now than later!" So, I guess you can always look at it as taking time of purgatory

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

LLMom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 31 2009 at 1:04pm | IP Logged Quote LLMom

I have always lived in South TX. It is hot. I don't cook much (if I do cook, I try to do it in the morning or late evening. Grill or crock pot a lot), hang my laundry in the summer, use fans in everyones room. Plus we have good ole central air. When I was pregnant, I rarely went outside. It was awful.

Back to Top View LLMom's Profile Search for other posts by LLMom

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 31 2009 at 7:22pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

Swimming pool on Tuesday (sno cones afterwards).

Water park on Wednesday w/ Icees.

Root beer floats at friend's home by their swimming pool on Friday.

And pray your way through to October.

Btw, paper plates make great outdoor fans.

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 31 2009 at 8:16pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

My dh spent most of his life (from 8 to 20+) in Baton Rouge, Louisiana ... and he won't let me turn on the oven from Memorial Day till way after Labor Day! Tonight, rather than baking our frozen pizza, we cooked it on the electric griddle (20min on 350 degrees) and the kids loved it!

It truly is just not worth it to turn on the oven. Learn to use the barbeque, electric skillet/griddle, crock pot, etc. Lots of salads (which taste really good when it's so hot) and fresh veg/fresh fruit really help too.

I grew up in San Francisco, where a heat wave is 65 ... I've had to re-learn how to cook/bake but well worth it in the long run.....

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

ALmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 03 2009 at 5:58pm | IP Logged Quote ALmom

From the south - couple of hints, but I'm a wimp about A/C.

Do make sure you are cooled off before eating. Pregnant and trying to digest food while competing with cooling off energy just makes you queesy. Some of mine were born in Sept - so I was really big and pregnant all through June, July and August in the heart of Dixie.

If you get really hot - drink water - but not iced. If you drink something too cold when you are really, really hot it can make you dizzy and funny feeling. If you do forget and get funny feeling - eat something salty. (Our builder had to give that hint to his roofers).

Everyone else has already told you what I know - don't move, stay out of the car if at all possible, look for air flow or breeze, keep the oven off, eat lighter (not too fatty or greasy) meals in the heaviest part of the heat (and cool meals), keep well hydrated. Water to soak/sit in. Keep hot lights off and other things except where you need them. Shade trees are great. Go to lower levels of the house which usually are a little cooler and keep you hair pulled up and off the neck.

Funny story - we really must just have bodies that adjust to what we're used to. My great grandmother was a character - she always lived outside of Memphis and refused to ever have A/C put in her house. I remember my grandparents, aunts and uncles all agonizing over how they could convince her (cause someone had to stay in the house with her when she was older). They never did get her to put in A/C. She lived to 97 and had them forever jumping cause she was climbing ladders to harvest her apples from the apple trees, squatted all the way down her rows of vegetables while picking (the rest of us couldn't stand it and had to have a stool to sit on) and went dune buggy riding down the street with the neighbor . She did compromise for their sake and allow them to put a window unit in the room they slept in when they visited her - but she never went in that room. She never seemed hot or even out of energy.

Janet
Back to Top View ALmom's Profile Search for other posts by ALmom

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version