Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: Naming your children? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
juststartn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 24 2009 at 10:46am | IP Logged Quote juststartn

LOL--I love baby name threads!!!

Ours are Lily Katharine, Helena Ardith, Sophia Charlotte, John Robert, and David Michael. All but Sophie, named for family. I've kind of found a "plan" I like for girls' names....First name, 2-3 syllables, ending on a vowel sound, with a longer middle name (Helena's middle name was to have been Elizabeth, but I had a great aunt die right after we found out we were pregnant--her name was Ardith...).

The boys are both named for their grandfathers (having twins was helpful).

For future names, we've got Lucy Claire, Julia Margaret, Amelia Therese, Cecilia Frances. Boys, well, we like traditional names. But Joseph Benedict, William Edward, and Matthew Dennis are the top three on the list right now (the first is for the Holy Father, and the next two are for DH's brothers, and DH--the names that they don't use, from their whole name).

Rachel

Sophia 4/19/04
John 5/7/07
David 5/7/07
Ava Maria, in the arms of Jesus, 9/5/08
Back to Top View juststartn's Profile Search for other posts by juststartn

MelissaClaire
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 24 2009 at 11:27am | IP Logged Quote MelissaClaire

These are fun to read!

We've got a Rebecca Therese, Thomas Joseph, Andrew John and Rachel Katherine.

We were thinking about the name Leah, but my husband didn't think it was fair to have a Leah AND a Rachel. (That could lead to some unkind words about beauty and favor between sisters!)

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: July 24 2009 at 12:58pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

MelissaClaire wrote:

We were thinking about the name Leah, but my husband didn't think it was fair to have a Leah AND a Rachel. (That could lead to some unkind words about beauty and favor between sisters!)

- yeah that could get tricky.

We have a Leah and we didn't think it would be good to have a Leah and a Luke (which is the name I would have liked for my younger son) especially since we do have Star Wars fans in the family.

But we do have a Leah and a Jacob .

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

insegnante
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 24 2009 at 1:11pm | IP Logged Quote insegnante

Melissa, I'd had the same thought about Leah and Rachel. I have always thought the name Leah was really nice, but I can just imagine my younger self complaining about being named after that Biblical figure. Haven't ruled it out for a future daughter, but definitely won't use it if we have a Rachel first!

Speaking of which, Leah, as a child I used to make up fictional people a lot (like whole towns, family trees, and schools of them,) so I did a lot of pretend "naming," and somewhere I got the idea that using the father's first name for all the boys' middle names (even if the first boy was a junior) was a pretty normal thing to do. If that eases your concerns any However, we have no junior, and our second son is the only one who has my husband's first name for his middle name.

We have no specific pattern here, though all but one of our three children's six names can be found in the Bible. The one that can't was my father's first name and is our older son's middle name; it is a saint's name, though not the spelling I associate with it as one (think a big city in Missouri.)

We (mostly I, because my husband doesn't have the same name dictionary in his head, and likes most of my ideas) come up with lists in advance, and are down to a few by the actual birth. Then, at the hospital with the birth certificate in mind, we finally choose one.

Even though I'd spent decades daydreaming of naming a daughter, before our actual daughter was born I had the least idea of all my children what she'd be named. My husband had a particular favorite for her name that he even addressed her by a couple of times when she was in the womb, but after she was born he didn't think it was "her" either. We independently ended up feeling strongly that her first name should be Mary. I preferred a middle name that could be used as a double name with Mary, and two very tired parents looking forward to filling out the birth certificate form and being discharged agreed on the name of the prophetess who was there when Mary and Joseph brought Baby Jesus to the Temple. We didn't know whether we'd end up calling her both, or just Mary, but it's been both (along with the many, many nicknames.) I had actually considered a single-name version of the double name that she has, but by the time she was born I really wanted a standalone "Mary" in there.

Stephanie_Q
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 25 2009 at 9:36am | IP Logged Quote Stephanie_Q

[QUOTE=MelissaClaire] Baby #5 is coming
We've got 2 boys and 2 girls so far [QUOTE]

So do we! (And we are expecting a girl, too) We have had a baby girl's name picked out since we were expecting baby #3 First names have been traditional saint names - no nicknames - traditional spellings. Middle names are 'good' family names. Sometimes, like with dd2, first and middle name happen to be family names. He is a "Stephen" after me. We weren't sure about it, but his due date was the feast of St. Stephen and our ultrasound - when we found out he was a boy, was the memorial for finding the remains of St. Stephen on the old calendar! We took it as a "sign".

We've chosen "Michaela" as the feminine form of Michael after St. Michael the archangel and ALL the "Michael's" in our family. Several great- and 2x great-grandfathers who emigrated to America on both sides of the family, my uncle/godfather, and the middle name of one of my dh's brothers, whose birthday is very close to my due date.

My mom and MIL have the same middle name - that was the obvious choice for our 1st dd's middle name. We liked my husband's paternal grandma's name for our second dd's middle name, so dd3 will receive her middle name from my paternal grandma. 1st son has dad's middle name, which was a family name and 2nd son has his paternal grandpa's middle name. Next boy (God-willing) will have my dad's middle name.

It is a blessing that we both come from Catholic families who have named their children (for the most part) after saints that we like and that the middle names 'work' with the first names we wanted.

Baby boy due 10.13
Back to Top View Stephanie_Q's Profile Search for other posts by Stephanie_Q Visit Stephanie_Q's Homepage

Barbara C.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 25 2009 at 12:30pm | IP Logged Quote Barbara C.

Well, our three girls were born before my husband joined the Church, so none of ours have any religious tie-ins. Somehow, they are all kind of Irish/Gaelic, though.

Bailey Allyson
Piper Delaney
Katelyn Ryan

My husband is very, shall we say, strongly opinionated about names, so he has done the majority of naming. Our last one was really hard. We knew we wanted to call her Katie but we didn't want that to be her given name. I might have been able to talk him into "Kateri" if she was born after his conversion since he didn't want to do Katherine and we were both concerned about Katelyn (in all its variations) being so popular.

He picked Ryan, and I finally gave in because I was tired of arguing about it. Although I did put off filling out the birth certificate in hopes that he would agree to something else at the last minute, but he didn't. And now, he has expressed Namer's Remorse over the whole thing. He agrees that she's totally "Katie", but we're not sure she's really "Katelyn Ryan".

If we were to have a fourth girl, he has agreed to at least consider my favorite since childhood, Elizabeth, as a middle name. I definitely plan to use the Baby Name Wizard book and website. The website actually has a Name Finder search engine where you can specify letters not to begin or end with, syllables, popularity level, and even Biblical or saint names.

One note about the Duggars: I used to find the whole "J" thing really cutesy and annoying, too, until I found out the story behind it. They really just liked the names Joshua, Jana, and John for their first boy and then twins. When they were having their fourth, they worried that if they gave the child a non-J name and they were later unable to conceive that the fourth child might feel left-out and that has been their thinking ever since. They never for one moment assumed that they could conceive again, but treated each child like it could be their last. They also have a deal where everyone makes suggestions, but Michelle has the final say on what the name will be.

Mom to "spirited" dd(9), "spunky" dd (6), "sincere" dd (3), "sweet" dd (2), and baby girl #5 born 8/1/12!!
Box of Chocolates
Back to Top View Barbara C.'s Profile Search for other posts by Barbara C. Visit Barbara C.'s Homepage

knowloveserve
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 25 2009 at 9:36pm | IP Logged Quote knowloveserve

We take naming seriously... consider it like inviting someone into the family by choosing a special patron. We like distinctly Catholic names... strong names they can't run away from.

We don't like to shorten names so we avoid obvious names that get shortened too much like Thomas, Michael etc.   While those are great names they're better suited for the middle in our family.

Also like very slightly to be on the 'fringe' of traditional Catholic names... so no Catherines or Josephs for us.

We pick saints we have a strong devotion to or feel like "they pick us".

Xavier James
Leo Maximilian
Dominic Vianney
(Jane Frances, miscarried)
Miriam Thérèse (wanted to honor the Blessed Mother but wasn't a fan of the typical Mary variations... except this Hebrew one... the one Our Lady was probably called)

Waverley
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 29 2009 at 10:27pm | IP Logged Quote Waverley

We give each of our children one name from my side of the family and one name from dh's side of the family.

The exception to this rule are the names of our children who came to us through foster/adoption who were already named - we kept one of the names given to them by their birth parents and gave them a name from our family. Our hope is that their names will give them a connection to and honor both of their families.

Gloria JMJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 06 2009 at 1:18pm | IP Logged Quote Gloria JMJ

For the most part we pick a bunch of names from the Bible and saints books, and then we see which name fits the new little one. The last baby name was picked by a vote from my older boys. The name of his older sister, Amber, was picked by DH; so to make it catholic, I made her middle name Rose and her saint is Ambrose .

florasita
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 06 2009 at 11:59pm | IP Logged Quote florasita

wouldn't it be fun to have the job of naming babies ! wow I love finding a name . My dh does not . He struggles big time . For me a name is a gift . A baby is a gift and therefore thier name is who they are so I love love love giving gifts so of course I feel the same about names.
I love names of plants , native american , celtic , spanish names . I think of great Christians who were native american like black elk or Kateri etc.
I have a fondness for flower names too . I did get to use flowers in both our girls names. My friend Mary named her last 4 children irish names the spelling is so different then how we spell . They sound so beautiful .
I love the name of Gae's children and Molly's children too .
Tend to like names to have meaning and really represent that child. Or names after a respected elder in the family or community .
If I ever could have more girl/s I still would love a sunshine butterfly & Tirzah Guadalupe both names have a lot of meaning to me . I also love my sisters name which is Laila
having had 4 boys I'm a tad used up on boys names but I've thought of Francois or Robert after two priests we know .Maybe Ferade after my grandfather or if I think hard enough I'm sure i'd find another plant I liked the name of
my sil was over today and we were just talking about kids wanting to change thier names and we started laughing because we remembered when ds21 was about 10yo he seriously wanted us to call him Fishing Boy
ds 8 wants me to call him eggbert .
it took me 9 yrs to choose my confirmation name Kateri . I truely felt I was being pressured at the time of confirmation .I was not going to choose a name just because. I really needed to learn the saint which was walking with me as my sister or brother etc. I also felt maybe as some don't I was not in need to choose and for the longest time no one name came until I had indeed walked along way with Kateri.

May I rise & rest with words of Gratitude on my Breath
May I have the Heart & Mind of a Child in my Depth
May I forever remember to be a Light
May Peace Love & Hope be My Sight
Back to Top View florasita's Profile Search for other posts by florasita Visit florasita's Homepage

Lisa in WI
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Aug 08 2009 at 9:57am | IP Logged Quote Lisa in WI

For first names we use saints' names that aren't family names. Other than our first, Elizabeth (which has always been my favorite name), we have chosen less common names. The middle names are after a family member. So far the middle names have been another family members' middle name but we are open to using first names as well.

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 08 2009 at 10:11am | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

We named my son in five minutes - Alexander Philip. My dad had a beloved uncle named Alex (although he wasn't Alexander, but another, more old-fashioned name), so he loved the name. I didn't think until much later about the fact that my parents met, married and baptized me at St. Philip's - hmmm.

I'd have liked to use my father's name but my SIL beat me to it, using not only Dad's name but also my favorite uncle's name for her son! So much for that.

My daughter's name is more unusual - I borrowed an Irish friend's French middle name and then we debated middle names for many weeks. Both her names are saint names, too. She jokes that there are four Megans, two Mollys, two Lindsays, several Kates/Caitlyns at our dance studio...but only one person with her name! (Her friend Saoirse has an unusual name too - Irish - so our dance friends are used to figuring out "different" names.)

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version