Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: When do you let your children go Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Kathryn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 23 2009 at 10:45pm | IP Logged Quote Kathryn

I haven't read others responses but I tend to be pretty cautious (anybody else can call it whatever they want...I call it good parenting). At any rate, I have a very responsible 10 yo dd and a not so responsible 9 yo ds and a neighborhood park about 1/2 mile away. May be not quite that far but there is NO WAY, NO WAY, NO WAY I would let mine go w/o an adult.   Even my very responsible 10 yo DD w/ her very responsible almost 12 yo next door neighbor friend. And I know that mother wouldn't allow it either. We live in a cul de sac and I JUST starting allowing them out front together last Summer when no one else is around and they still have to stay where I can see them at all times from the front window. They are allowed to ride their scooters on the sidewalk and can play on the front porch, yard, driveway...assuming no other kids and/or adults are out and then the boundary is extended.

Sometimes it's best to just smile and say uh huh and let the subject drop as opposed to trying to defend yourself and getting into a debate. I'm finding I need to do this more and more and it's not easy for me at all!!

Red Cardigan
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 24 2009 at 12:11am | IP Logged Quote Red Cardigan

Agreeing with everybody here. I won't let mine walk to a little playground area at the end of our street--and they're 13, 12, and 11!

One reason why I won't can be found at this website(sorry, it has lots of ads). You can enter your address and see how many people in your area have s*x offender convictions. Some in our area include people convicted recently of assaulting kids our children's ages, and one elderly man recently convicted for having kiddie p*rn on his computer!

My girls would have the sense to watch out for most adult males--but I honestly don't know if a grandfatherly-like older man approached them, if they would have that same "radar" go off.

So I'm with them for now, and maybe next year I'll do what Jennifer in TX does and let my oldest have a cell phone--but I'd rather just go with her places!

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 24 2009 at 8:25am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Red Cardigan wrote:
Agreeing with everybody here. I won't let mine walk to a little playground area at the end of our street--and they're 13, 12, and 11!

One reason why I won't can be found at this website(sorry, it has lots of ads).

I keep forgetting about this site, so thanks for the reminder. And we have some offenders very close by.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

stacykay
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 24 2009 at 9:23am | IP Logged Quote stacykay

My neighborhood is pretty safe. I don't have any qualms going for walks alone, at night, for instance.
But, I do err on the side of caution when it comes to the kids. No one can stay home alone, unless they are 12. When it comes to leaving the younger boys (youngest is 5,) with an older, the older has to be at least 13.
So, in my reasoning, if I don't let them stay "home alone" within the locked home until they are 12, I don't let them go off unsupervised until they are 12. It isn't just that someone could hurt them, but what would happen if they, themselves were hurt.

And, of course, there is always the issue of legally, what your state would deem as prudent care and not neglect.

Golly, life was way more simpler when I was growing up in the '60's and '70's! But I lived in a little town in the country then, too.

God Bless,
Stacy in MI
Back to Top View stacykay's Profile Search for other posts by stacykay

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version