Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: real food routines? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Milehimama
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 29 2009 at 10:57am | IP Logged Quote Milehimama

I tried to include some of my shortcut methods in my menu planning post today, if it helps anyone. Not that I'm an organizational expert, or anything, I'm just lazy!

http://www.milehimama.com/2009/06/29/food-stamp-challenge-we ek-26/

Back to Top View Milehimama's Profile Search for other posts by Milehimama Visit Milehimama's Homepage

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 29 2009 at 6:15pm | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

KackyK wrote:

How do you, or do you even, sweeten the yogurt? It's so "plain" I can't get the kids to eat it.

I've been fooling with this, as my kids are used to pre sweetened yogurts. I am trying to make a recipe that tempts my kids.

I am making 2 quarts at a time, and I am adding 1/2 c. sugar to that (when the milk is cold) and 2 T real vanilla to it (when its cooled, right before adding the starter). 3/4 c. was too sweet. My kids are adding a dollop of jam and some homemade granola (that's also sweetened ) to the top before eating it and no one is complaining that its too tart. My plan is to slowly decrease the sugar in the yogurt since they are adding jam and granola to already, but for now, this seems to be the minimum I can get by with.

The bigger issue I'm having is getting a yogurt that is gelled enough for their commercial yogurt tastes. I'm currently using 2% milk, and I've added in 1T gelatin with 1/2 cup dry milk powder (not enough) and 1T gelatin with 1c dry milk powder (still not enough). I am trying 2T gelatin with 1 c milk powder tonight and if that doesn't work, I'm going to try it with whole milk.

As for finding the time, I set myself up with having everything close by and by keeping my yogurt maker on the counter where its convenient (I bought one years ago...I would probably try a cheaper method if I didn't have one already). And I'm just watching for snatches of time where I can do it fairly easily. I'm also chilling it down with iced water in the sink because, well...I'm impatient with the waiting process for cooling!

If I had not been out of brown sugar, millet and chocolate chips, I would have been able to make a batch of granola at the same time I was heating the milk, as long as the baby wasn't under foot.

For those of you who make yogurt regularly, is it normal to get a skin of burned milk on the bottom of the pan and just "do not disturb" it? It doesn't taste burned. Or am I being too impatient by cooking on too high a temperature?

~Books

mothering ds'93 dd'97 dd'99 dd'02 ds'05 ds'07 and due 9/10
Back to Top View Bookswithtea's Profile Search for other posts by Bookswithtea

Karen T
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 14 2009 at 8:25am | IP Logged Quote Karen T

Bookswithtea wrote:

If I had not been out of brown sugar, millet and chocolate chips, I would have been able to make a batch of granola at the same time I was heating the milk, as long as the baby wasn't under foot.

Books, could you post your granola recipe for me? I've just finished reading Real Food and am going to start getting raw milk soon and making my yogurt, etc but would also like to do granola at home for the kids.
Karen T
Back to Top View Karen T's Profile Search for other posts by Karen T

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 14 2009 at 2:47pm | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

Karen, I posted it somewhere here in the last few months. I am not the best at running searches, though, and couldn't find it. If you can't find it either, let me know and I'll type it out again.

~Books

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 16 2009 at 6:06pm | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

http://4real.thenetsmith.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=28179&PN=1

I found it! Sorry it took me so long. I re-read what I wrote and realized I should have clarified that if I make this whole recipe, only 1/2 of it will fit in my big turkey roaster at a time. I don't have another pan big enough to fit the other half so that I can cook the whole batch at the same time.

My bulk foods store sells other kinds of rolled grains. I don't use any of the wheat bran or germ because I figure we get enough wheat in our diet already. I'm going to try rolled barley next time for some of it.

BTW, I keep a small portion of this out before adding the chocolate chips and freeze it as is so that my kids can top their yogurt with it. They love it, and I love that my kids are eating oats in the summer (since oatmeal is a hard sell here when the weather is hot).

~Books

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version