Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Summer entertainment on a budget Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Natalia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 21 2009 at 8:31pm | IP Logged Quote Natalia

This summer is going to be challenging for us. We are adding on to our house which means that the backyard is going to be unavailable for several weeks. This means no pool in the backyard. Also, because the addition, our funds are limited right now. In July we are going to be going to the Dominican Republic but June and August we are going to be here.

I am hoping that you ladies would share with me what you do to keep the kids busy during the summer, especially ideas that do not involve a lot of money.

Thanks a lot,

Back to Top View Natalia's Profile Search for other posts by Natalia

Kathryn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 21 2009 at 9:09pm | IP Logged Quote Kathryn

Water balloon fights
Lots of library trips
Lots of park days
Lots of afternoon movies at home w/ microwave popcorn

:-)

Back to Top View Kathryn's Profile Search for other posts by Kathryn

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 21 2009 at 9:20pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

any sort of free movie or concert at the park type things in your area?

sprinklers on the front lawn?

would you use the public pool? check into a pass.. costs money but might be fairly reasonable when you consider the number of people.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

anitamarie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 21 2009 at 9:45pm | IP Logged Quote anitamarie

Long walks or bike rides. Hikes in local (or not so local) parks. Fruit picking trips (can get pricey, though). Our local movie theater shows morning shows of older movies for free or low cost ($1 or $2 per person). Scrabble tourneys. Get a few families together for an afternoon of board games on a rainy day, or really hot ones!!. Library programs. Ours has a kid's movie a week for most of the summer, as well as themed programs. Crafts, lots of crafts. We are blessed here with a free Zoo, free Art Museum, free History Museum and nearly free Botanical garden.
Good luck. We lost our basement due to finishing for about 8 weeks now and it has been tough to have one less play space. I feel for you. But it is almost done and I can tell you, you will survive renovation!! I wasn't so sure I would.
Anita
Back to Top View anitamarie's Profile Search for other posts by anitamarie

KackyK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 21 2009 at 9:55pm | IP Logged Quote KackyK

Did you catch Ruth's thread about free bowling? Maybe there is a center near you participating.

And there are free movies at Regal Cinemas. Check here for participating places.

At least they are free and indoors with the A/C!

Mom to 8 - 3 dd, 5ds & 4 babes in heaven

Beginning With the Assumption
Back to Top View KackyK's Profile Search for other posts by KackyK Visit KackyK's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 21 2009 at 9:59pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

oh yes, a/c any malls with a play area indoors? I used to take my then 3yr, 2yr and infant to a mall just to window shop but it got us into the true a/c.. we were in Tucson AZ and only had a evap cooler for the house we rented.. it would keep it cooler.. but every once in a while the heat would just drive me nuts and we'd go running for the grocery store or the mall just to wander about in real a/c and chill

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott

Natalia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 22 2009 at 10:03am | IP Logged Quote Natalia

Thanks for the ideas.

I am sure you guys must think it is a silly question but I am really a boring person. I would be happy to just stay home and read. It helps me to have some activities planned so that the kids don't resort to playing wii and watching TV all the time. I don't mind them play Wii or watching TV but I want a nice balance of outside and inside activities.
When trying to plan ideas, I always run into the problem that my kids are very far apart in age (5 years). That makes it a little tricky. Also some activities are more fun with a lot of people which means that we have to join with other family(ies) which can be tricky also.

Anyhow,I think I am going to take the calendar and schedule some of the activities based on some of your ideas. If you have any other ideas keep them coming.

Thanks,

Natalia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 22 2009 at 10:07am | IP Logged Quote Natalia

Oh I forgot to ask for:
-movie recommendations
-favorite board games (I am always on the look out for new games)or any other kind of games for inside.

Thanks,

MelissaClaire
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 22 2009 at 10:10am | IP Logged Quote MelissaClaire

Our recent favorite board game is Blokus (my kids are 7, 5, 3, and 1--but the 2 big can play by themselves or with us and the 3 year old can play too with a little help. Sometimes my husband and I play it too after everyone goes to sleep.)

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 22 2009 at 10:13am | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

Natalia wrote:
Thanks for the ideas.

I am sure you guys must think it is a silly question but I am really a boring person. I would be happy to just stay home and read. It helps me to have some activities planned so that the kids don't resort to playing wii and watching TV all the time. I don't mind them play Wii or watching TV but I want a nice balance of outside and inside activities.

Oh, honey, I understand and I'm right there w/ you. This is what would happen at my house too.

What I usually do is have the children make a list of things they'd like to do during the summer. The ideas have to be local and cheap.

We haven't done that yet but my autumn and winter b-day girls are already planning a water party here at home. The planning is keeping them quite busy.

There will be more staying home this summer. Staying home and reading. Sounds just dandy to me.

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 22 2009 at 10:14am | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

I meant to add that even though I have my children do lists each summer, this thread is exactly what I need.

Exactly!

It motivates me to hear your ideas.

Keep sharing!

mom to 5
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

Natalia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 22 2009 at 10:16am | IP Logged Quote Natalia

Cay,

Could you share what they are planning? That sounds like fun!
I could have a multi age water party... in the front yard?!

Jody
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 22 2009 at 4:59pm | IP Logged Quote Jody

Here are some inexpensive ideas:

1) waterslide- we set up the little plastic slide on the edge of a large sheet of plastic. Then we have the sprinkler spraying wataer on the whole thing. The kids run through the sprinkler, zip down the slide and zoom across the plastic. They love it! We have done it without the plastic slide and that was fun too.

2) campfire- we plan this for the evening-night time as its cooler. The keds have fun planning and collecting sticks and wood for the fire. Plus gathering sticks for the hotdog, marshmallow roast.

3)campout in the backyard--They have fun all day deciding where to set up their tent, putting the tent up, collecting all the supplies like sleeping bag, stuiffed animals, snacks etc...

4) picnic

5)rollerblading at the park or local grade school
6)swimming at the beach (we really enjoy going to the lake in the summer)
7) playground
8) sandbox fun
9)bubbles
10)pinwheels/kites
11)water balloons/ hose/water fight very fun with a group of kids

12)creek day - ou local state parks have a few creeks that we enjoy ewploring by walking through them with water shoes or old sneakers. (We did this last year with another family and the kids are still talking about it)

Jody

sewcrazy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 22 2009 at 5:33pm | IP Logged Quote sewcrazy

Check your park district and forest preserve district, many offer free or low cost activities. Ours have ongoing service projects that you can help with that are fun and educational! We work at a local nature center pulling noxious weeds and collecting seeds from endangered native plants. Another activity in our forest preserve district is animal counting. You go out with a pair of binoculars and a clip board and keep track of every animal you see/hear within a certain area. You also log any dead animals you find. Also a local CSA farm happily near us accepts volunteers and they pay in food!

We also volunteer at our church a lot. This summer on days we can't be outside, we are going to work at sorting out the church's lending library. Finally, we will have a room to put everything in, so we are going to catalog the books and arrange them on shelves.

My children do not do well with idle time.    So I try to keep them purposefully busy.

anitamarie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 22 2009 at 7:01pm | IP Logged Quote anitamarie

Let's see - board games: Qwirkle, Quartile, Plext, Walk the Dogs, You've Been Sentenced, Heart of Africa, Mastermind, Spy Trackdown, Penguin Rescue, Red Letter, Quiddler, Fill or Bust, Set - we do Set for hours around here - are our current favorites. Oh yeah, Qwirkle Cubes just came out by the makers of Qwirkle and Crosswise. Rings and Gobblet have both been popular, too.
We have others if you need more suggestions.

Anita

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 22 2009 at 9:09pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

I don't know how old your kids are.. but we love Hullabaloo.. it has an electronic "caller" and these little mats for the floor.. different shapes, colors, items on them.. and then you have to follow the directions and move to this or that shape or color or whatever... kids can share mats.. and then it will randomly call out the "winner" mat and the "winner" gets to do a jump or a dance or something the machine comes up with.

But it gets the kids active in a fairly comfined space.. and watching it is HILARIOUS so the adults have a good time too

Even the toddlers join in but they don't follow the directions.. they just run from mat to mat cause the other kids are

-Sir Walter Scott

anitamarie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 22 2009 at 10:33pm | IP Logged Quote anitamarie

Jodie: we love Hullabaloo, too! I forgot about that one.
Natalia:
We also work on jigsaw puzzles as a group. We either leave it out and work on it as each of us gets time, work as a group, or roll it in our felt mat when we need space for other games. Can you tell we like games?

Anita

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 23 2009 at 12:57am | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

I just got our local "summer guide" , which i go through every year, and mark down stuff that we may want to do throughout the summer.....low tide days, free day at the zoo, parade, shakespeare in the park, sandcastle-building-contest, pony rides, pantomime at Walgreens, ice cream day at the grocery store, music in the park, farmer's market, car shows, festivals, etc....it's on the calendar.....

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

BrendaPeter
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 23 2009 at 9:25pm | IP Logged Quote BrendaPeter

anitamarie wrote:
Let's see - board games: Qwirkle, Quartile, Plext, Walk the Dogs, You've Been Sentenced, Heart of Africa, Mastermind, Spy Trackdown, Penguin Rescue, Red Letter, Quiddler, Fill or Bust, Set - we do Set for hours around here - are our current favorites. Oh yeah, Qwirkle Cubes just came out by the makers of Qwirkle and Crosswise. Rings and Gobblet have both been popular, too.
We have others if you need more suggestions.

Anita

Thank you for all the game suggestions! We've bought some real duds so it's nice to get recommendations. We love SET too.

Brenda (mom to 6)
Back to Top View BrendaPeter's Profile Search for other posts by BrendaPeter

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 08 2009 at 11:40pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

Natalia wrote:
Cay,

Could you share what they are planning? That sounds like fun!
I could have a multi age water party... in the front yard?!

Natalia,
Not sure if you wanted the children's lists or the water party plans so I'll share both.

First, I sit down w/ the children and make one list, then I include things I'd like to do w/ them during the summers (trips and such). This year, I decided to break down the list to see exactly what we could afford this summer. Free things are definite and I want to make sure we have enough of them.

All in all, I'm keeping the summer quiet. We haven't signed up for any camps or commitments other than library storytime and a babysitting class. We had our baseball party tonight so that is finished.

FREE
  • Spar Waterpark (our local waterpark where we have membership through dh's employer---we've been 4xs already so we're on a roll)
  • Library Storytime (free---yearly tradition)
  • Campout in backyard (free)
  • Beach (free)
  • Swimming @ aunt's/cousin's/friend's who have been dear enough to offer (free---we'll bring the watermelon)

CHEAP

• Blue Bayou Waterpark (done---4-H end-of-year paid field trip for C & G/only had to pay our tickets & Annie's)
  • Sno-cones
  • Ice Cream Parlor & trip over the crosswalk (yearly tradition)
  • Roller Skating ($10 for girls to skate---Garrett now has his own spending money)
  • Movies (the children want to see Up. I want to see Night at the Museum 2 price varies depending on popcorn and cold drinks ---we might not even get to go if they don't all agree to get the kiddie pack )
  • Shangri La Botanical Gardens (I do plan to make this a priority---if not this summer than this autumn)
  • Blueberry Picking
  • Visit Marcie, Alice, and Colleen (and see those BABIES!!!---price of gas)
  • Zoo (small area zoo)
  • 4th of July Summer Trip to Family Camp (cheap except for lots of food purchasing)

RATS! LIFE IS NOT FREE

WATER PARTY @ HOME

I have to ask Annie for her very detailed, drawn-out list.

mom to 5

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version