Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: Hannah Montana Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Sarah M
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 14 2009 at 10:40am | IP Logged Quote Sarah M

I don't have a lot of time to be here this morning (crazy busy day ahead), but I did want to weigh in real quick.

Last night I hopped in the car to go to work... la-dee-dah... kicked myself for forgetting my Taylor Swift CD since I had a longish commute...flipped on Sacred Heart Radio (the local Catholic station)... Christine King was on Catholic Answers Live, talking about peer pressure and pop culture in the lives of 8-12 year olds. Wow, I thought, this is exactly what I need to hear right now.

Guess what she used as an example? Yup. Hannah Montana. Miley Cyrus, she says, is a good example of a "seemingly innocent" figure in pop culture who has the potential to play a very dangerous role in our children's development.

Leeann mentioned this- and Christine did too: Miley posed topless (wrapped in a blanket) on a magazine recently (what?! she's fifteen for goodness sake!). She also mentioned that Miley texts her "fan club" on a regular basis. Apparently, a recent text was supportive of gay marriage. This is just the beginning of Miley affiliating herself politically- that's a slippery slope in itself.

And she reminded me (as many of you did here-thank you) that allowing my daughter to see someone like Miley as a role model will surely cause problems as she grows older and watches Miley make all kinds of life decisions.

So thank you all, for encouraging me to stand my ground. You're all right- this is about so much more than twaddle. It's about dd nagging to see if she can push my limits. To see how strongly I will stand against the pop culture. And I want her to get the message, loud and clear- it is not welcome here. Her mind and her spirit are too precious to me.

And I can't ignore that I *happened* to flip on Catholic radio at the exact right moment to hear this conversation on Catholic Answers. And that Christine King used Hannah Montana, among all the pop culture icons, as her example. And that my radio fuzzed out a few minutes after hearing this, so I couldn't hear the rest of Catholic Answers. Just the part I needed.

I think You-Know-Who wanted me to get the message.

Message taken.
Back to Top View Sarah M's Profile Search for other posts by Sarah M

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 14 2009 at 12:23pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

That is so great, Sarah! I love when God uses "coincidences" to work--what a great story about when things are so clear! Its truly startling when it happens that way. Thank you God for 2x4s

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

Servant2theKing
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 15 2009 at 7:49am | IP Logged Quote Servant2theKing

Sarah, what a gracious gift from God that He answered your prayers for guidance and wisdom in this area in such a beautiful and profound way! Continued prayers for you and your family for God's grace to shine upon you in all such matters!

Lindsay, I had the exact same thought about spiritual 2x4's...having experienced the need for them many, many times!

Maggie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 15 2009 at 8:09am | IP Logged Quote Maggie

I LOVE spiritual 2x4s!!!   

Makes discernment so much easier...

God Bless,
Maggie

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version