Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: can we talk dishwashers? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
doris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 21 2009 at 5:07pm | IP Logged Quote doris

I never, ever rinse (except I do soak porridge saucepans). My dishes (almost) always come out clean. We have a Miele -- i don't know if they're available in the US as they're a German brand. They're reputed to be built to last 20 years -- which I guess is the justification for making them eye-wateringly expensive.

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 22 2009 at 9:53am | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

Maryan wrote:
   But I did discover that my well water is cold, so if I just turn on the machine... it fills with cold water. So I have to run the kitchen water until hot, and then run the dishwasher. It totally reduces the amount of gunk in the glasses.

I have never in my life had a dishwasher till we moved into this house from the boat. I have not been overwhelmingly impressed with it overall but last night I tried your trick of rinsing the dishes with hot water so the thing would fill with hot water and presto! this morning I think the dishes are cleaner!

Thanks Maryan, I detest unloading the dishwasher and putting half of the cleaned dishes into the sink to be cleaned a second time. Sets the entire day off on the wrong foot.

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

jdostalik
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 22 2009 at 11:39am | IP Logged Quote jdostalik

Charlotte,
Which Bosch model did you get? There are tons out there....

Let the Little Ones Come

Back to Top View jdostalik's Profile Search for other posts by jdostalik Visit jdostalik's Homepage

Matilda
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 24 2009 at 6:58am | IP Logged Quote Matilda

Jennifer,
There were only three in the store when we went to see them in person. The model number is SHE45M06UC but they don't seem to have it on their website anymore. It is one of the 500 series and I think we got it on sale with free installation and delivery. Compared to our last one this one is soooooo quiet! You can't even tell that it's on sometimes and it cleans great.

Waltzing Matilda
Back to Top View Matilda's Profile Search for other posts by Matilda

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 24 2009 at 7:30am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

We like our Bosch. We got it at a local appliance store, and I think they had to order the lower model for us. So, in the store were the expensive stainless steel with the buttons hidden in the top of the door, and we got the plain white with push buttons on the front.

Anyway, I mentioned to my husband that someone said they were $1000, and I thought that was high but couldn't remember. But, I was right, we paid around $500 6 years ago. That is still pretty high, but not $1000.

One reason we got it is because of the quiet factor (that and dh is a sucker for any appliance made in Germany). Our home is small, and there is really no escaping a noisy dishwasher, and I'd just been in an apartment with the loudest dishwasher ever, and we were both extra sensitive, lol.

In between the time that my mother died and my dad remarried, he bought the same model Bosch based on our rec. My dad's new wife gave him a hard time about paying so much for a dishwasher until they moved and she had to go back to the low end washer that came with their new house. I think she secretly hopes it will die so they can replace it with the Bosch

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

Matilda
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 24 2009 at 7:38am | IP Logged Quote Matilda

Our is black with the push buttons on the front and Husband seems to think we paid around $650-700 for it. I was only convinced to pay that much when he added up the total amount we have spent on less expensive models over the last 13 years. So far, I am pleased with it.

Waltzing Matilda
Back to Top View Matilda's Profile Search for other posts by Matilda

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 24 2009 at 7:47am | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

I'd get a Miele over a Bosch if I could afford it. The Bosch we had was very quiet, stainless steel bin, everything came out clean (unless stuff was baked on which we had to soak). However, the Miele we used when we were in Italy had the additional feature of efficient spacing (the Bosch also has efficient spacing, but the Miele is even better), one major reason I've always wanted a Miele. You can fit a ton of stuff in it! (Okay, that's an exaggeration but only a bit ) My 13-yo who has been in charge of the dishwasher since last year wants one when our Maytag breaks. The other dishwasher on my list besides the Miele and the Bosch was the Fisher Paykel dishdrawers -- I like the idea that I can have "delicates" in one drawer and tough pots and pans in another and they can be on different cycles.

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

jdostalik
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 24 2009 at 8:18am | IP Logged Quote jdostalik

Stef and Elizabeth,
I really, really want a Miele. One of my dear friends has one and she even posted a little video of her Miele and all its bell and whistles on my FB page--that did it, I really would love one....But they are terribly pricey...I made dh watch the video--it has almost sold him!
But, the Bosch's are more reasonable and Lindsay's and Charlotte's recommendations as well as my dear friend, Mary's carry weight...What will we choose? Check back next week after Bill's next job interview!   

Let the Little Ones Come

Back to Top View jdostalik's Profile Search for other posts by jdostalik Visit jdostalik's Homepage

Kristie 4
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 24 2009 at 12:23pm | IP Logged Quote Kristie 4

Our dishwasher was so useless I wasn't even using it. I just handwashed everything.

But then I tried a new powder, Seventh Generation (the natural kind of powder), and VOILA, clean, sparkling dishes (and I only do a quick rinse or scrape!). When I ran out of it and used Cascade a bit I ended up with the grimy dishes again- so the Seventh Generation fit the bill here! May be worth a try as it is much cheaper than a new machine (and doesn't let off that gross chemical smell into the kitchen!)>

A Walk in the Woods

Back to Top View Kristie 4's Profile Search for other posts by Kristie 4 Visit Kristie 4's Homepage

doris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 24 2009 at 4:19pm | IP Logged Quote doris

I can't speak for the other brands but we had an AEG before -- one notch down from the Miele in terms of price, but still a reputable German brand. It was *useless* -- the motor died after 3 years of moderate use. Whereas, from what I hear (and I hope is true), Mieles are just more sturdy -- so you really do save in the end.

Hope you manage to snag one, Jennifer!

jdostalik
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 24 2009 at 7:11pm | IP Logged Quote jdostalik

Kristie,
This is good to hear--I like Seventh Generation liquid handwashing soap--in fact that is what I've been doing all my handwashing with!   
Elizabeth,
I agree that we will really save in the end by getting a Miele (God-willing). Over the last six years, we have spent $1200 on dishwashers--and have a dead dishwasher to show for it). The Miele is less than that and I the reviews are certainly favorable for it lasting 10 years and beyond!   

Let the Little Ones Come

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version