Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: can we talk dishwashers? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Anne McD
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 06 2009 at 11:22am | IP Logged Quote Anne McD

I only have a second, so I'll get to it.

I hate my dishwasher.    It is forever leaving little shards of food on the insides of the glasses on the top rack. We've had it for five years now, and its been doing it since day one.

Here's my thing-- call me crazy, but I think its the job of the dishwasher to clean the dishes. I shouldn't have to wash everything before I wash the dishes. Large chunks, dried on food, sure. But washing the dishes so the dishwasher can wash the dishes? uh-uh!

I just had a "guy" out to do something about the standing water at the bottom of the unit. That's done. However, he said the motor is slow, and could be gunked over with food junk, which is making those glasses all gunky. The cost of replacing the motor (he says there's no point in cleaning it-- same price) is comprable to getting a new unit entirely.

(this is getting long!)

So--my question to you-- do you wash the dishes before your dishwasher washes the dishes? What I want to hear is "I send the most vile and disgusting things through the dishwasher and they come out sparkling clean," and then I want the make and model

Any thoughts? Anyone else want to vent?

James 8
Katie 6
William 3 1/2
Benedict Joseph 1
and baby on the way! 10/14
Back to Top View Anne McD's Profile Search for other posts by Anne McD

Lavenderfields
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 06 2009 at 12:44pm | IP Logged Quote Lavenderfields

I have the same problem with mine and this is the second dishwasher I have had this problem with.

Our dishwasher broke down about 6 weeks ago. We started washing them by hand and I decided I liked having them done by hand because they actually come out cleaner than with the diswasher.

But, we have had several dishes get broken.

I would love to hear of a great machine.

God Bless
Back to Top View Lavenderfields's Profile Search for other posts by Lavenderfields

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 06 2009 at 2:03pm | IP Logged Quote Maryan

I won't say this is a beloved topic of mine, but it's definitely a preoccupation. And I wish I had the perfect suggestion of a new dishwasher.

I totally feel that I should be able to:
AnneMcD wrote:
send the most vile and disgusting things through the dishwasher and they come out sparkling clean

But that doesn't happen. And our machine is only 4 years old. So I do rinse. But it's just that --rinsing.

But even rinsing dishes, I have issues. So I've been sleuthing the problems.

While I'm compounded by hard water (calcium deposits), I wouldn't imagine you would be. So that solves me blaming it all on my calcium laden water. But I did discover that my well water is cold, so if I just turn on the machine... it fills with cold water. So I have to run the kitchen water until hot, and then run the dishwasher. It totally reduces the amount of gunk in the glasses.

it may not help you -- but just some survival stuff until you get a new machine... and tell us which one you get!

And yep, my dishes totally come out cleaner if I do them by hand as well. I'm just lazy.

Back to Top View Maryan's Profile Search for other posts by Maryan

SaraP
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 06 2009 at 2:09pm | IP Logged Quote SaraP

I send the most vile and disgusting things through the dishwasher and they come out sparkling clean!

Really. I scrape the dishes, but the only thing I actually prewash is dried on oatmeal.

It's a Kenmore Elite 8575286 and while it was NOT cheap it has been well worth it. We've had it almost 4 years, it has worked wonderfully and only needed one small repair. We had a low-end Kenmore before this and I hated it for exactly the reason you mention: in order to have clean dishes I had to wash the dishes before I ran them through the dishwasher.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 06 2009 at 2:16pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

When we replaced out dishwasher in the last house, I asked the repairman his opinion about these dishwashers that didn't require rinsing. You know, the one that put a whole cake into the d/w and it came out sparkling? He explained those require their own disposals or something to filter the food out without clogging. And even so, he wouldn't recommend it, because the filter clogs easily. That's just what I remember, and of course, it was his opinion. So I rinse our dishes unless they are only lightly soiled. No chunks allowed.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

SaraP
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 06 2009 at 2:54pm | IP Logged Quote SaraP

JennGM wrote:
He explained those require their own disposals or something to filter the food out without clogging.

I think this is true and ours does have a built in disposal, but we haven't ever had the filter clog. We're also on septic and haven't had any problems with that either. Now I don't put entire cakes through, but it handles the odd spaghetti noodle or blob of whatever without a problem.

mom2mpr
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 06 2009 at 3:52pm | IP Logged Quote mom2mpr

FWIW
I also have to run the sink to hot water to get clean dishes.
I have also found putting vinegar in the jet dry cup helps some.
I also, just did it today, run a wash cycle with vinegar in the soap cup. I usually do it once or twice a year.
Each time I unload I also reach in to the strainer type thing-a-ma-jig in the bottom and clean out the few big food particles there.
Anne
Back to Top View mom2mpr's Profile Search for other posts by mom2mpr

Matilda
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 06 2009 at 5:19pm | IP Logged Quote Matilda

Do NOT get a GE Triton XL. I doesn't clean well and both the top and bottom baskets started to rust after the 1st year. I wish it would die so I could justify replacing it.

Waltzing Matilda
Back to Top View Matilda's Profile Search for other posts by Matilda

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 06 2009 at 5:32pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

I like my Bosch. I have to run the disposal before hand or I have issues, and I have to rinse oatmeal well or it coats the glasses and gets glued on in the mega heat, but overall, its a great dishwasher.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

Red Cardigan
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 06 2009 at 5:39pm | IP Logged Quote Red Cardigan

I'm looking for a new dishwasher, too--will be following this thread closely!

My MIL has a Kenmore too that she loves (don't know the model). However, she's the kind of person who washes every dish with soap and water *before* loading them into the dishwasher--hers are probably cleaner before they go in than most people's are when they come out!

Martha in VA
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 06 2009 at 6:49pm | IP Logged Quote Martha in VA

Not much to add to this conversation except do NOT get an LG dishwasher. We've regretted it ever since...

Our Family Blog
Back to Top View Martha in VA's Profile Search for other posts by Martha in VA Visit Martha in VA's Homepage

Anne McD
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 06 2009 at 7:04pm | IP Logged Quote Anne McD

Matilda wrote:
Do NOT get a GE Triton XL. I doesn't clean well and both the top and bottom baskets started to rust after the 1st year. I wish it would die so I could justify replacing it.

I'll add more in few, but I'm cracking up here--That's exactly what we have!!!!

James 8
Katie 6
William 3 1/2
Benedict Joseph 1
and baby on the way! 10/14
Back to Top View Anne McD's Profile Search for other posts by Anne McD

Matilda
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 06 2009 at 7:18pm | IP Logged Quote Matilda

Anne McD wrote:

I'll add more in few, but I'm cracking up here--That's exactly what we have!!!!

Good to know! Now I don't have to call a guy out to tell me why the glasses on the top rack are still gunky!

Waltzing Matilda

chrisv664
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 07 2009 at 1:50pm | IP Logged Quote chrisv664

Helpful hint:
The last time we had the serviceman here he cautioned us against those little dishwasher cleaning capsules that supposedly dissolve... sometime the plastic casing around the detergent doesn't actually dissolve and they can be the problem with clogging up the works! I went back to the big clunky bottle of gel... but I really liked the idea of those small capsules

Burning The Candle At Both Ends
Back to Top View chrisv664's Profile Search for other posts by chrisv664 Visit chrisv664's Homepage

jdostalik
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 21 2009 at 10:01am | IP Logged Quote jdostalik

Bumping this thread...we seem to be cursed in the dishwasher department. We bought a Kenmore mid-level priced dishwasher six years ago--it lasted four years--and we replaced the control panel twice.   

We bought a Maytag Legacy series (mid-priced, too) two years ago and we have replaced a number of parts, it never, ever cleaned well and half of the bottom wrack has broken--the silver ware holder is being held together with wire and the touch pad has gone out twice. My dh (the engineer) says there is a flaw in the design--water can get into the the front panel and short out the touch pad--this has happened twice.    It is now "officially dead" and I've been handwashing for a few weeks.

Dh seems to think our problem is with the electronic touchpads that all the dishwashers have nowadays. He wants to buy the cheapest model at Home Depot that has the old-fashioned "push-in" buttons.    I just know that is not the solution, either, as I think we would kill that dishwasher in about two months.   

I googled the Kenmore that SaraP recommended in this thread and all I got were hits with complaints on different appliance repair message boards. I don't doubt her recommendation, but dh won't even look at Kenmore after our Kenmore experience with new dishwasher #1...

So, the Bosch's look good--but I don't think I can convince my frugal husband to spend $1,000 on their "cheapie" model...maybe, but probably not..

Any other good recommendations out there? We run our dishwasher at least twice a day but really, we aren't that tough on them!

(Oh, and if you read through this whole post, you deserve a medal!).

ETA: Anne, what did you end up getting?

Let the Little Ones Come

Back to Top View jdostalik's Profile Search for other posts by jdostalik Visit jdostalik's Homepage

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 21 2009 at 10:07am | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

jdostalik wrote:
So, the Bosch's look good--but I don't think I can convince my frugal husband to spend $1,000 on their "cheapie" model...maybe, but probably not..

Our best dishwasher ever was a Bosch, and it cost us $600 5 years ago (in another house -- I'm now *tolerating* a Maytag
)

but they don't have to cost $1000:

Bosch at Sears

As soon as this one croaks, I'm getting another Bosch (unless I can afford a Miele, which is unlikely). My mechanical engineer dh was really impressed with it and was loath to leave it in our previous home.

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

Matilda
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 21 2009 at 10:23am | IP Logged Quote Matilda

We ended up getting a Bosch and love it!!! It took me a while to get used to not having a heated dry option but I'm over it. I know we spent less than $1000 but I don't remember how much exactly. We bought ours from Lowes.

Waltzing Matilda

Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 21 2009 at 11:06am | IP Logged Quote Martha

ARRRGGGGGGHHHHH!

Pretty much sums my opinions on any appliance built in the last 6 years.

We have replaced washer and dryer and stove TWICE in 2 years and just bought a dishwasher which I adamently felt was a waste o money but dh insisted we had to replace.

Back to Top View Martha's Profile Search for other posts by Martha Visit Martha's Homepage

jdostalik
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 21 2009 at 11:20am | IP Logged Quote jdostalik

Going to check out the Bosch's....

Let the Little Ones Come

Back to Top View jdostalik's Profile Search for other posts by jdostalik Visit jdostalik's Homepage

mom2mpr
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 21 2009 at 12:14pm | IP Logged Quote mom2mpr

mom2mpr wrote:
FWIW
I also have to run the sink to hot water to get clean dishes.
I have also found putting vinegar in the jet dry cup helps some.
I also, just did it today, run a wash cycle with vinegar in the soap cup. I usually do it once or twice a year.
Each time I unload I also reach in to the strainer type thing-a-ma-jig in the bottom and clean out the few big food particles there.
Anne

I do all this AND, I just discovered this, put Borax in the extra cup with my Palmolive, Cascade, or BioKleen in the closing cup. It seems to help.
Anne
Back to Top View mom2mpr's Profile Search for other posts by mom2mpr

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version