Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Amazon Prime Questions Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
KerryK
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 28 2009 at 10:03pm | IP Logged Quote KerryK

We use it and love it. I am working on a master's thesis right now and live in the middle of nowhere. There is no academic library here, and our library system doesn't own many of the books I need. I've used Prime for those -sometimes waiting a week for the supersaver shipping really sets me back on my work, so for me, it is worth it. For the family, we have a book budget that we stick to, and the faster shipping is convenient if we need something special. Christmas shopping was another benefit.

We also use subscribe and save for some grocery items. For example, it's really tough for us to find gluten free food around here, and amazon does carry a lot of that.

Our year is up in September, and I plan to save up the money to subscribe again.

Mary (6)
New baby Samuel 2/26/07!
and 9 angels in heaven

The Eyes of My Heart
Back to Top View KerryK's Profile Search for other posts by KerryK Visit KerryK's Homepage

Mimip
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 29 2009 at 7:39am | IP Logged Quote Mimip

Prime ?

Do you still get the free two day shipping if its not to your address?

I'll give you the perfect example, our 3 godchildren live in a different state, would we be able to ship things to them?

Back to Top View Mimip's Profile Search for other posts by Mimip

KerryK
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 29 2009 at 8:38am | IP Logged Quote KerryK

Yes, you can send to any address. It's one of the things I like about it since most of my family lives far away from us.

Mary (6)
New baby Samuel 2/26/07!
and 9 angels in heaven

The Eyes of My Heart
Back to Top View KerryK's Profile Search for other posts by KerryK Visit KerryK's Homepage

LisaR
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 29 2009 at 8:47am | IP Logged Quote LisaR

I never seem to have an order smaller than 25.00 so I just get the free slow shipping- which, for me, has never taken more than 5 business days, and has oftentimes surprised me with 3-4 days!
I also use subscribe and save, so free shipping there, too!

Paul 14
Thomas 11
Dominic 8
Maria Gianna 5
Isaac Vincent 9/21/10! and...
many little saints in heaven!
Back to Top View LisaR's Profile Search for other posts by LisaR

KerryK
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 29 2009 at 8:59am | IP Logged Quote KerryK

I think Lisa is right - if you consistently have orders that are above 25 dollars, then it probably is a better deal to just go for the free shipping.
I have small orders a lot, and in the past found myself just picking stuff to make up the 25 dollar total - not the smartest shopping method! It helps me spend less because I don't feel bad about just ordering what I need. In the past it was hard to justify ordering one book and paying 5 dollars for shipping. Now I just order the one book and get off the site! No more lingering around, thinking hmmmmm, what else do I need?

Mary (6)
New baby Samuel 2/26/07!
and 9 angels in heaven

The Eyes of My Heart

Aggie gal
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 30 2009 at 6:56am | IP Logged Quote Aggie gal

We love it. We are far away from ALL family and it totally paid for itself at Christmas, birthdays and new births this year.

Back to Top View Aggie gal's Profile Search for other posts by Aggie gal

Mimip
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 30 2009 at 7:37am | IP Logged Quote Mimip

Oh my, if it sends to any address this will totally pay for itself at Christmas time. Time to start saving up

Back to Top View Mimip's Profile Search for other posts by Mimip

Becky Le
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: April 30 2009 at 7:39am | IP Logged Quote Becky Le

We have had it since last fall and I love it! It was great for Christmas shopping last year.   Amazon had some amazing toy deals so I could buy each deal as it came up and not have to worry about shipping costs.    I also use it for buying our Catholic Mosaic books and other books we use for curriculum monthly instead of all at once. The free 2 day shipping is perfect for me since I am a born procrastinator.

Becky Le
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: April 30 2009 at 7:40am | IP Logged Quote Becky Le

Forgot to add I also love it for shipping to my out of town godchildren!

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 06 2011 at 12:59pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Bumping this to say that I signed up for Amazon Mom program and you get 3 months of free Amazon Prime....with the option of adding up to 1 year of free Prime with every $25 you spend in the "baby store" which includes diapers, food, etc.

Anyway....I'm loving my Prime membership!!!!!!!   and I think I'd consider the fee.....which I never thought I'd say!

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

amyable
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 06 2011 at 1:01pm | IP Logged Quote amyable

SuzanneG wrote:
Bumping this to say that I signed up for Amazon Mom program and you get 3 months of free Amazon Prime....with the option of adding up to 1 year of free Prime with every $25 you spend in the "baby store" which includes diapers, food, etc.

Anyway....I'm loving my Prime membership!!!!!!!   and I think I'd consider the fee.....which I never thought I'd say!

Same here! Ours expires mid-Feb and I'm thinking about asking for the membership fee for my birthday!

Back to Top View amyable's Profile Search for other posts by amyable

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 06 2011 at 1:58pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

I can't remember if I posted in this thread before, but I LOVE my Prime membership. I think it pays for itself in convenience. I RARELY RARELY ever feel compelled to run out to a store and search for something, dragging kiddos, getting stuff I don't really need because I'm distracted and its there, and buying lunch or dinner out because we are stuck and hungry. I'd only have to have a day like that once to pay for the fee, lol. The two day shipping means that's true even when I've procrastinated. There just isn't much I buy that I can't get from Amazon for a reasonable price.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Jan 06 2011 at 2:09pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

I'm still enjoying our Prime Membership very much here! I've found a number of ways to make use of Amazon Prime that saves us money in other areas.

I thought I'd share another tip Rob and I have developed -- we purchase a monthly Amazon gift certificate that reflects our Amazon budget! This helps us in 2 ways:

** It helps me stay within our family spending budget. Rob sets up an Amazon envelope for me each month (are you all familiar with the envelope system? you set aside a certain amount in envelopes [real or virtual] each month for known expenses and for household budget.) My Amazon budget is a set figure which takes into account monthly home education expenditures as well as household expenses. At the beginning of the month, Rob lets me know that I have my Amazon budget, and I go to Amazon and purchase a gift certificate for that amount and have it emailed to myself. I apply the gift certificate amount to my account and - voila! I have "x" amount to work with for the month.

** The second benefit from this is in keeping accurate book-keeping records for our account. If you've ever done Amazon shopping you know what a pain it can be to keep up with all of it on your bank statement when reconciling your account. I could forward receipts to Rob (who does our book-keeping) reflecting Amazon purchases...but invariably, when we would get the statement, purchases would be split up or not yet reflected on the statement. It was a book-keeping nightmare around Christmas. Now, there is but one entry each month for us - the $xx.xx Amazon gift certificate.

With Amazon prime and a certain $$ figure applied to my account with our monthly gift certificate, I just click on the free-two-day shipping one-click-order button and I'm done! Very convenient! I'm pleased with the number of items available through Amazon Prime now as well!

Thought I'd share that tip in case anyone else wants to try sending Amazon gift certificates to themselves.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 06 2011 at 2:19pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

One thing I do to keep track of the Amazon spending.. is add the expenditures to my account from the emails that say something is shipped. That's when they charge your card and it lets me put in the amounts that will show up on my statement.. I can alway stick in the full amount as having been spent with a future date to keep it at the bottom of my register and subtract from it as items ship.

It sounds like a bit of a hassle but it works rather well.

Or just keep all the emails.. the order email and the shipping emails.. and put the order amount in your account.. and when you go to reconcile you can check the shipping amounts against the emails for the order and adjust it then.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 06 2011 at 3:30pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

JodieLyn wrote:
One thing I do to keep track of the Amazon spending.. is add the expenditures to my account from the emails that say something is shipped. That's when they charge your card and it lets me put in the amounts that will show up on my statement.. I can alway stick in the full amount as having been spent with a future date to keep it at the bottom of my register and subtract from it as items ship.

It sounds like a bit of a hassle but it works rather well.

Or just keep all the emails.. the order email and the shipping emails.. and put the order amount in your account.. and when you go to reconcile you can check the shipping amounts against the emails for the order and adjust it then.

Ah, but Jodie, the joy of Prime is that you have no shipping amounts unless you overnight it!

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

amyable
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 06 2011 at 3:52pm | IP Logged Quote amyable

Mackfam wrote:

I thought I'd share another tip Rob and I have developed -- we purchase a monthly Amazon gift certificate that reflects our Amazon budget! This helps us in 2 ways:

BRILLIANT!!     I'm going to talk to dh about this. Might work with other things too... hmmmmmm....

Back to Top View amyable's Profile Search for other posts by amyable

Maggie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 06 2011 at 5:29pm | IP Logged Quote Maggie

We belong to Freeshipping.com

The membership is $75 per year. The great thing is that it has dozens of merchants that we use--INCLUDING AMAZON!

The variety of merchants is wonderful...and definitely saves us money.

I think one caveat is that you cannot exceed somewhere between $500-1000 of shipping per year? And you cannot order from the same merchant twice in one day...AND (this is a big one), it only reimburses up to $10 per time used...so if shipping cost $14.95, you would submit your $10 to be reimbursed (it is a reimbursement program), and you would have paid $4.95 for the shipping.

The reimbursements have to be mailed in and you receive the money back in the form of a check...so if you don't stay on top of it, you can easily miss out on reimbursements.

Make sense?

Just another option...

We have used it for 2 years now.

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 06 2011 at 5:39pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Oh Lindsay.. I should have said shipment amounts.. meaning the charges are by the shipment.. not by the order. They charge when things are shipped.. that way the charges I see on my statement will match if I use the amount on the shipping notices..

So an order of 3 $10 items with free shipping..

one shipment might be $10 and the other $20.. but the shipping email will give that vs the order confirmation email.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version