Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: Would you let your dd7... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Maggie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 20 2009 at 7:22am | IP Logged Quote Maggie

Not a chance. A very firm "over my dead body."
Back to Top View Maggie's Profile Search for other posts by Maggie

anitamarie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 20 2009 at 7:44am | IP Logged Quote anitamarie

No here, as well. My ds 11 hasn't even camped with Cub/Boy Scouts without us, yet. And all those have been local (Within 30 minute drive). So, it's not you. It's apparently all of us!

Anita
Back to Top View anitamarie's Profile Search for other posts by anitamarie

folklaur
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 20 2009 at 9:23am | IP Logged Quote folklaur

Wow, not one yes so far. (Really, if anyone would say yes, speak up! I want to hear from you, too - and I know how hard it can be to be the only dissenting voice (trust me) but really, I would love to hear your opinion too. So PM me if that would make it easier.

Thank you, ladies, for all your comments.

I had DH read the thread last night too.

Back to Top View folklaur's Profile Search for other posts by folklaur

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 20 2009 at 9:49am | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

Having camped with Brownies in two different troops, I would not do this. I wouldn't even let my 7 yo dd camp in the next door neighbor's back yard without me...not for my sake but for hers. Brownies are still young enough to wet their sleeping bags, be frightened by strange noises (hey, their mommies are still scared of screech owls!) and get homesick.

Sea World is nice but not worth risking her safety and emotional well-being.

KC in TX
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 20 2009 at 11:10am | IP Logged Quote KC in TX

Martha wrote:
at age 7?
no.
trust, location, group, and so forth wouldn't matter
to me 7 yrs old is too young to travel anywhere sans a parent, esp over night and out of state,imho.
for my kids anyways.
i know many people wouldn't have a problem with it
i know many people would also probably think I'm a paranoid, isolating, helicopter parent.
and my dd who just turned 8 would probably scream and whine and cry and say how unfair it is

and I'd still say no
but that's just me.

No here for the same above reasons.

Michaela ('01)
Emma ('03)
Jordan ('05)
And, my 2 angels, Rose ('08) and Mark ('09)

The Cabbage Patch
Back to Top View KC in TX's Profile Search for other posts by KC in TX

Stephanie_Q
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 20 2009 at 1:13pm | IP Logged Quote Stephanie_Q

I'm going to add another "No way". My oldest will be 7 this summer and I can't even imagine sending her to a sleepover! Fortunately, her friends' moms don't do sleepovers this young (based on experience with their older kids).

Baby boy due 10.13
Back to Top View Stephanie_Q's Profile Search for other posts by Stephanie_Q Visit Stephanie_Q's Homepage

Mimip
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 20 2009 at 2:32pm | IP Logged Quote Mimip

Sorry, but wanted to add another NO WAY! I actually asked my dd almost age 7 what she thought of this and she laughed in my face She said I would not even let her stay at Isabella's (her best friend's house and my son's godmother's house).

I will pray for you in this situation since I know that it is really tough to be the only one that says no

Back to Top View Mimip's Profile Search for other posts by Mimip

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 20 2009 at 3:33pm | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

I used to be a brownie leader for an all homeschooled girls troop where the moms all knew each other well already. We did one sleep over...it was in my back yard. 7 yr olds get scared easily. Definitely a no.

~Books

mothering ds'93 dd'97 dd'99 dd'02 ds'05 ds'07 and due 9/10
Back to Top View Bookswithtea's Profile Search for other posts by Bookswithtea

Servant2theKing
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 20 2009 at 3:37pm | IP Logged Quote Servant2theKing

I just happened to have an experience over the weekend, at a small rural grocery store, where several girls in the age range you are describing, came inside the store, while the rest of their group were still outside selling Girl Scout cookies. They were exhibiting very rowdy behavior and engaging in a very animated discussion of kissing a boy on the mouth (the boy in question just happened to be there and also was taking part in the discussion)...the entire situation was highly inappropriate.

Your daughter will probably survive being told "no" much better than she would survive being thrown into the midst of a group such as the one I witnessed. As a grown woman I was very uncomfortable being exposed to the kind of behavior I encountered this weekend.....you're dealing with a 7 year old who would be facing this on a much larger scale. For what it's worth...the mothers of some of the children were right outside the store, manning the tables of Girl Scout cookies...totally oblivious to the goings-on inside the store. The leaders of your daughter's group may be quite trustworthy, but they also most likely will not be able to be aware of the kind of activity that goes on 24/7, while your precious daughter would be in their care. It's unlikely that all the children attending this event will share the same values you're trying to instill in your daughter. You've gotten solid advice from the rest of the moms here and based on my recent experience I highly agree with them.

folklaur
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 20 2009 at 3:39pm | IP Logged Quote folklaur

Well, thanks, Ladies, can I say just how much I appreciate how open and honest - and blunt! - you have been. I am on another Christian homeschool list where I asked this also, and there the parents were split about 50-50. Here is seems more like 100% no. I really, really appreciate all your feedback, opinions, etc. Thank you so much!!!!!
Back to Top View folklaur's Profile Search for other posts by folklaur

Natalia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 20 2009 at 6:08pm | IP Logged Quote Natalia

No that you need any more reassurance but here goes another
no.

Back to Top View Natalia's Profile Search for other posts by Natalia

Sarah in SC
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 20 2009 at 7:05pm | IP Logged Quote Sarah in SC

Not in this lifetime nor any other.

Jen L.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 20 2009 at 8:38pm | IP Logged Quote Jen L.

Nope.

Back to Top View Jen L.'s Profile Search for other posts by Jen L.

4 lads mom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 21 2009 at 8:41am | IP Logged Quote 4 lads mom

No Way, Sister!!! Hit us with another easy one!!! I am glad you asked, though, I do know how it feels to be weary and spent over one dc, but then feel like you are over-responding to another.....it is a constant juggling act, exhausting I tell you!!!

Jody
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 21 2009 at 5:56pm | IP Logged Quote Jody

Here is another no.

My daughter is eight and has had sleep-overs with her best friend, another catholic homeschooler from a very trusted family. (They live 10 minutes away). And both girls have been home-sick one time each. We simply drove them home and it was no big deal. But a 2 day stay, a state away is something else.

Peace,
Jody

LisaD
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 22 2009 at 10:04am | IP Logged Quote LisaD

Absolutely not.

Fwiw, Cub Scouts in our area never do overnights without a parent. That is not allowed until they are Boy Scouts at 10 or 11. Even then, I'd have a hard time allowing that, unless I was one of the chaperones.

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version