Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
We Pray to the Lord
 4Real Forums : We Pray to the Lord
Subject Topic: for my son - my family ***UPDATE Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
insegnante
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 02 2009 at 11:51am | IP Logged Quote insegnante

Mackfam wrote:
Michaela - this situation troubles my heart deeply, and I offer you my prayers.

Michaela wrote:
Tonight, he gave away all of his beloved toys to his brother. He told his brother that he won't be needing them anymore.

My conscience will not allow me to go to sleep without telling you how concerned I am about your Nicholas.

That concerned me too, especially since he's 12. Praying for you, Nicholas and everyone involved, Michaela!

Matilda
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 02 2009 at 12:12pm | IP Logged Quote Matilda

OK, other women above, more courageous than I, have inspired me to say that I too am seriously concerned for your son's emotional and mental health right now. This is an intolerable situation and I hope you have the strength and support you need to rectify it quickly for your family's sake! Your family must come first! If there is anything we can do, please let us know.

Waltzing Matilda
Back to Top View Matilda's Profile Search for other posts by Matilda

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 02 2009 at 12:34pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Matilda wrote:
OK, other women above, more courageous than I, have inspired me to say that I too am seriously concerned for your son's emotional and mental health right now. This is an intolerable situation and I hope you have the strength and support you need to rectify it quickly for your family's sake! Your family must come first! If there is anything we can do, please let us know.

Micheala - I feel the same. This has been worrying me all morning. I would talk to your pastor if you can. I have never been in the terrible situation you are - but I have had problems with extended family - and I have finally got to where I do what is best for my children, my family and me - I will not put my children in situations that are damaging to them in any way. I get criticized a lot - but I know I have to safeguard my husband and children and marriage.

Hugs my friend. Continuing to pray

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 02 2009 at 12:40pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

Michaela-

How hard this is... when home is no longer a haven. It is heartbreaking to see your dc suffer. At times like this I always ask God to bring some good out of a bad situation. He never fails... I have been surprised many times how He can bring good things out if even the worst situations.

I will be keeping your family in my prayers.

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

trish
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 02 2009 at 2:25pm | IP Logged Quote trish

Praying Michaela.

+AMDG+
Saintly Soaps

Back to Top View trish's Profile Search for other posts by trish

Marybeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 02 2009 at 2:37pm | IP Logged Quote Marybeth

Michaela,

What Nathan did is a sign of depression and quite honestly a huge warning sign of suicide. I taught for many years at the middle school level and this what was always told to us. Sorry, I must be frank out of my desperate anxiety about your poor son.

I will channel my worry and upset into praying for all of you and for a peaceful resolution to this situation.

God bless,

Marybeth

SaraP
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 02 2009 at 3:50pm | IP Logged Quote SaraP

Quote:
The situation you face in your home has exceeded a normal level of "merging two families" stress

I have to agree. We opened our home to a family of 7 for 6 months last year and it while it was definitely difficult and stressful at times - and my children definitely complained about it - it never came anywhere near the level of unhappiness you describe.

My prayers will be with you!

Philothea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 02 2009 at 4:28pm | IP Logged Quote Philothea

Mackfam wrote:
Michaela - this situation troubles my heart deeply, and I offer you my prayers.

Michaela wrote:
Tonight, he gave away all of his beloved toys to his brother. He told his brother that he won't be needing them anymore.

My conscience will not allow me to go to sleep without telling you how concerned I am about your Nicholas. The situation you face in your home has exceeded a normal level of "merging two families" stress and is offering some unsafe and troubling circumstances. I think Leonie's suggestion to talk with your family priest is very good and would offer some healthy, outside perspective.

I am imploring the saints, and especially St. Michael to offer his protection to your Nicholas and to extend it to your entire family. And, I am begging dear St. Joseph to offer you and your husband guidance and wisdom in this situation, that you might be able to protect your family and keep them close to Jesus just as he protected the Holy Family on the Flight to Egypt.

May Our Lady wrap her mantle of protection around your family, and especially Nicholas.

Sacred Heart of Jesus, have mercy.

This. Completely.

ETA: Your first obligation is to the children God has entrusted to you.
Back to Top View Philothea's Profile Search for other posts by Philothea

Red Cardigan
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 02 2009 at 5:46pm | IP Logged Quote Red Cardigan

Michaela, adding prayers and concern; I do join others in their worry and advice in re: your son.

One thing to remember is that you do have rights in this situation, rights within your family as well as rights legally. If your in-laws can't abide by your house rules then you have the right to ask them to leave.

I read your other post, too. A year is an unacceptably long time for another family to live with you, IMO. I would talk to your DH about giving them a deadline. If they need to arrange legal things (food stamps, WIC, unemployment benefits, children's health insurance etc.) I would suggest letting them have three months at the most.

I read about a man who went from being the CEO of his own company to delivering pizzas for $7/hr. (I think his wife has to work too.) While this is hard for his family, and they're losing their house etc., this man is not at all too proud to take what work he could find to pay rent on a modest apartment and put food on his family's table. Unless your BIL is physically incapable of doing this kind of work, he should be able to find *something* to pay the bills and support his family; nobody has the luxury right now of waiting for an ideal situation to open up.

I know times are tough for a lot of people, but that doesn't give someone else the right to turn your home into a place that is no longer a sanctuary for your children. I'll pray that you can resolve things soon.

Christine
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 02 2009 at 9:35pm | IP Logged Quote Christine

Michaela, you and your family are in my prayers.

Pretty Lilla Rose
Back to Top View Christine's Profile Search for other posts by Christine Visit Christine's Homepage

Chari
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 03 2009 at 11:57am | IP Logged Quote Chari

I am joining Willa in saying that Saint Joseph prayer for you!

insegnante
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 23 2009 at 3:47am | IP Logged Quote insegnante

Any updates, Michaela? Praying!

Jen L.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 23 2009 at 8:16pm | IP Logged Quote Jen L.

Just seeing this and i am praying right now for your son and you and the rest of the family.

I am not a professional, but after reading your other post and this one I think that even another month is too long. Is there anyone that YOU can go visit for a month? I see that you have very graciously opened your home but the situation is just not acceptable.

Please do update us.

Back to Top View Jen L.'s Profile Search for other posts by Jen L.

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 12 2009 at 9:52pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

insegnante wrote:
Any updates, Michaela? Praying!

Anyone hear from Michaela? I am still praying Michaela - please check in with us and let us know how things are

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

MarieA
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 12 2009 at 10:35pm | IP Logged Quote MarieA

You are all in my prayers.

Marie

Carole N.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 13 2009 at 3:13am | IP Logged Quote Carole N.

Seeing this and praying for you and your family!

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: May 13 2009 at 9:12pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

My prayers continue, Michaela. I too would love to hear how you're doing, how Nicholas and the children are doing.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

jdostalik
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 13 2009 at 9:14pm | IP Logged Quote jdostalik

Michaela,
Offering prayers for you, Nicholas and your precious family.

Let the Little Ones Come

Back to Top View jdostalik's Profile Search for other posts by jdostalik Visit jdostalik's Homepage

Michaela
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 18 2009 at 1:24am | IP Logged Quote Michaela

Thank you all for your support through your prayers, phone calls, and letting my children come to your home for playdates to get away from what has been going on in our home for the past 2 1/2 months.

We haven't been the same....from "jokes" w/ knives on Nicholas, accidents with bats, restricting our children from interacting with their cousins even though they live in the same home, to constant belittling when we did cross paths. I have certainly failed Nicholas by constantly trying to smooth things over.

Finally, after being unable to change them and unable to protect my children, it came down to telling my husband that I planned to take our children and move out or in-laws had to get out. It isn't something I did flippantly. In our 20+ years of marriage, I have never done anything like that, but our life in our home was horrible. Especially with learning they planned to live with us until they had enough money for a down payment to purchase a home. I knew we couldn't make it one more month, not even one week....we'd never make it at least one or two years. We stayed out of the house most days, filled our days with classes and friends who had time for extra playdates.

My husband finally told SIL that they had to get out. It took two weeks for them to find a place, BUT

Last night, our in-laws moved into a rental home!!!!!!   

Thanks be to God!   I know it's not very Christ-like, but I don't know what else to do but thank God that I can now focus on repairing my children, especially Nicholas. This was so confusing to me. I didn't understand how to love them and be Christ like when they were breaking my son. I failed. I just didn't understand. He was the one they couldn't stand. The one all of their garbage was directed towards. He couldn't say a word without getting shot down and I failed more than once to stop it because of the way those boys did it. Nicholas literally lived in his room! It was where he felt safe. So, I have a child who I am begging to come out now and spend time with us.

To give you an idea of what we are dealing with......last night, when they loaded up to leave, Nicholas was told by the youngest that he would ride his bike the 3 miles over here to break in the back door and come to get him in the night. The older boy told Nicholas that another cousin will be coming up from CA to kick his butt.   I feel like I failed by not protecting him from it, but I had no idea until they left and we all were going to bed. Nicholas just started crying and told me all of this. He'd take it all and withdrew from us. They decided to pick on one child ---- the one child who would never ever do anything -- who would take it and try very hard to be kind back to them only to be shot down.

I failed. Only your prayers and my friends saved us. There is no other way to explain how my tenderhearted child hasn't gone off the deep end. He shows signs of being deeply hurt, changed, but I'm hoping to repair it. All of our hearts are broken. Nicholas has told both DH and I that we did this to him by letting them move in and not standing up for him. (We did, but.....all I can say is that we failed often. The way the boys did it and many times Nicholas wouldn't tell us right away.)

Again....thank you all so much for your prayers. I ask for your forgiveness in not coming back to update. I see my IM box and email are quite full with wonderful 4Real friends. My life really turned upside down. The most important part of this update is they are OUT. Forgive me for taking so much joy in that. I just don't know how else to feel right now.

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 18 2009 at 2:31am | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

Michaela, you acted out of supreme charity towards your in-laws and unfortunately things unravelled once they were already there, not an easy situation to pull out of at that point, well certainly not quickly.

I can't imagine your pain and trauma while watching your children's..particularly Nicholas' trauma unfolding, being enveloped in it. I will be praying that they will heal completely, with God's grace and with you and your dear husband's love and care.

IMO you have have been Christ-like in a way that most would not..you acted out of love for your in-laws not dreaming that something horrible was about to happen. You came here for prayer and would have turned to prayer to be freed from what was hurting your children so deeply. I can only see a very blessed mother doing her best under very complicated circumstances.

I admire your goodness and charity greatly Michaela, very sincerely so, you have my prayers in the weeks to come. Your family and particularly your children will be in my morning offering each day.

Welcome back, it SO GOOD to see you here again!

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version