Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Literature
 4Real Forums : Living Literature
Subject Topic: Kolbe Lit Guides Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
rivendellmom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 30 2009 at 10:07am | IP Logged Quote rivendellmom

Does anyone know if you can buy the guides for individual books or do you have to buy the entire junior high set? I am interested in both the elementary and junior high guides but the total is $300 which is a bit much for us considering we'd have to buy the books also.

Thanks,

Jen

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 30 2009 at 6:41pm | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

When I ordered, it was $100 for the entire manual, and there were no options to order separately. I'm not sure about now...

~Books

mothering ds'93 dd'97 dd'99 dd'02 ds'05 ds'07 and due 9/10
Back to Top View Bookswithtea's Profile Search for other posts by Bookswithtea

rivendellmom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 31 2009 at 6:31am | IP Logged Quote rivendellmom

Thanks! The prices have gone up and are going up again in April- so I may just take the plunge.

Shari in NY
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 01 2009 at 6:53pm | IP Logged Quote Shari in NY

Books,
Was it worth the money? Do you like it? Do you use it?? I like the look of this too but really don't want another unused resource on the shelf.
Back to Top View Shari in NY's Profile Search for other posts by Shari in NY

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 02 2009 at 7:08am | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

I love it, and I used it extensively the first time I taught 9th grade. I don't know what the new version looks like as I have the first version they published. The notes are Catholic without being overbearingly so, it is clearly laid out in a daily format if you want to use it that way, there are answer keys and the notes are written so clearly that its possible to have a lit. discussion with your child without having read the book alongside them.

I never used the saints component as I didn't consider it high school level, but they would be excellent used through the middle school years, a book here and there. There are also some novels that are definitely jr. high level that could be used before high school as well. You could probably add in grammar and find enough books to create an entire jr. high year, maybe 2 if you have a strong English student who is ready for high school level in the 8th grade. There are a few books that I wouldn't tackle with a jr. high student (Oliver Twist, Uncle Tom's Cabin, Pride and Prejudice) but there are several that cross that 8th/9th level so could be used either year.

We used the higher level more boyish books for my high school (read: no Jane Austen ) along with Shakespeare et al, and the short story and poetry components with a few additions to the short story unit that are commonly read in the 9th grade (I used Sparknotes to have discussions on those). I used their tests, but tweaked them slightly to focus a bit more on what my own ds needed to focus on, and then just re-typed them.

Does this help?

Are you the same Shari in NY from the SL Cath. list?

~Books

Shari in NY
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 02 2009 at 7:20am | IP Logged Quote Shari in NY

Thanks, Books, this is very helpful! And yes, I am the same Shari in NY from SL Cath although I haven't visited in a while.
Back to Top View Shari in NY's Profile Search for other posts by Shari in NY

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 02 2009 at 7:52am | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

The elementary guides are fairly new. I am sitting here getting all excited about them - they are for 3 years but still - aagh I don't think I can manage the $150.

The Junior High guides are awesome.

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 02 2009 at 8:03am | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

Shari in NY wrote:
Thanks, Books, this is very helpful! And yes, I am the same Shari in NY from SL Cath although I haven't visited in a while.

I haven't been a member for years, but it sure is nice to see you!

~Books

ALmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 02 2009 at 10:46am | IP Logged Quote ALmom

The cost of the literature guides is just a tiny bit less than enrollment. I really think that if you want the lit guides, it is almost worth enrolling and just not sending in quarter reports unless you want them to take a look at something. (You have sample forms or use them for paper airplanes).

One thing to keep in mind with Kolbe is that they are very flexible in terms of lesson plans so you are not restricted to one set level just # of plans (double check with them to make sure this is still the same). But, for instance, I enrolled my 6th grader but got the elementary lit plans since I already had the older group (plus they sent me the updates to the revised middle school plans), I substituted physical science plans for their 6th grade science plans and I could have requested any number of the history plans (I don't even remember which grade or version we actually decided to go with). I really like the theology plans - not because I follow them exactly but because they have already done the legwork to weave Faith and Life with Balt. Catechism. I don't do a lot of answer the questions and substitute liturgical year stuff for a lot of the stuff - but in the end, I do have a quick spot check to make sure the material has sunk in with the quarter tests. I use them to give me an idea where to focus greater discussion and attention and hands on not so much for a grade though for some of mine that helps them remain accountable.

I have not sent a single thing in to Kolbe for this child and am never harrassed by them. I know a lot depends on whether or not there are any other plans you can use or whether they'll just sit in the pile cluttering your house. If you are going for the Lit guide, I think I'd look and see if there are other plans you'd like and then see if they'd let you enroll and substitute the way you want. Just an idea - and they are not at all taken back by me being honest that I really don't plan to send any kind of quarter reporting back - though I do sign highschoolers up for EES (extra cost). The plans come with enrollment though.

Janet
Back to Top View ALmom's Profile Search for other posts by ALmom

Martha in VA
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 02 2009 at 11:03am | IP Logged Quote Martha in VA

ALmom wrote:
The cost of the literature guides is just a tiny bit less than enrollment. I really think that if you want the lit guides, it is almost worth enrolling and just not sending in quarter reports unless you want them to take a look at something.

Janet,
Can you clarify what you do get with enrollment? I've been pouring over their catalog and am still not understanding. If I enroll my dd for 8th grade, what will I receive as part of the enrollment? What will I have to still purchase? I'm guessing I'll have to still buy all the books but what about the lesson plans?

Thanks!
Martha in VA

Our Family Blog
Back to Top View Martha in VA's Profile Search for other posts by Martha in VA Visit Martha in VA's Homepage

Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 02 2009 at 11:57am | IP Logged Quote Martha

yeah. ditto that question from me.
kolbe is very complicated to figure out their different option and exactly what you can get with each option.

so let's say I want to register my 6th grader for $240, which gives me 10 course plans, plus 1 more if I want it?

I could get the elementary lit AND junior high lit, which purchased sep. is $300
plus I could get the course plans for:
4th grade greek history
5th grade saxon 6/5
7th grade science
and 6th grade religion, reading, word study, comp/vocab, geography, and english

is this correct?

Back to Top View Martha's Profile Search for other posts by Martha Visit Martha's Homepage

Martha in VA
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 02 2009 at 1:53pm | IP Logged Quote Martha in VA

Martha wrote:
yeah. ditto that question from me.
kolbe is very complicated to figure out their different option and exactly what you can get with each option.

so let's say I want to register my 6th grader for $240, which gives me 10 course plans, plus 1 more if I want it?

I could get the elementary lit AND junior high lit, which purchased sep. is $300
plus I could get the course plans for:
4th grade greek history
5th grade saxon 6/5
7th grade science
and 6th grade religion, reading, word study, comp/vocab, geography, and english

is this correct?

I'm impressed you have figured out so much. You're waaaayyy ahead of me! Maybe I need a course in catalog reading for me?!   

Our Family Blog
Back to Top View Martha in VA's Profile Search for other posts by Martha in VA Visit Martha in VA's Homepage

Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 02 2009 at 3:07pm | IP Logged Quote Martha

hey, don't be impressed yet! I don't know if I got it right!

I think I'll call and ask...
I remember thinking that it wasn't worth it pay for registering for my 9th grader because I only wanted 3 or 4 course plans. But if it is cheaper to get the elem and jr high lit plans by enrolling ... I could do that under my 6th graders name and since there's a 2 grade level spread to the courses I pick, get some courses for him, plus his 5th and 8th grade brothers...
and that would be nice....

if I am reading any of this correctly...

Back to Top View Martha's Profile Search for other posts by Martha Visit Martha's Homepage

Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 02 2009 at 3:55pm | IP Logged Quote Martha

okay I'm really upset that the stupid computer went kerplunk on me instead of sending my post through but I'll type it in again.

no, you cannot get both the elem and jr high lit plans with ONE registration. altho Mike in registration agreed that woudl be an awesome deal, too awesome for them to afford to do!

HOWEVER you can get them both if you register two children.

So the elem and jr lit plans are a total of $300
If I register my 6th grader and some other younger child, that cost is $380 and I could get one elem guide for one and the jr high lit guide for the other.

Now, this is $80 more than buyign the guides alone, BUT that $80 woudl also get me assessement tests and advisors for each student (which I probably wouldn't use, buth other moms might want) and the real bonus is that for $80 more I'd get 24! other subject course plans, which are normaly $35 each.

So if you want the lit plans and even 1 other subjects course plans, it's totally worth it to register the student even if you never use their services.

Thank you Mike in Kolbe registration for repeatedly answering the phone to verify my thought process on this!

Now, I have some contemplation of future funds to ponder...

rivendellmom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 02 2009 at 4:58pm | IP Logged Quote rivendellmom

Martha,

Thanks exactly what I had figured out after poring over the website. I'm registering a 8th grader and a 5th grader. So I'm going to get all the plans and just see what I like and what I don't. Thanks for the suggestions!

ALmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 02 2009 at 10:01pm | IP Logged Quote ALmom

Also ask about older plans if those are more appealing - they generally have those archived and will give those instead with enrollment. So, for instance, if you use the Famous Men, they have plans somewhere for those even though the current text plans are using the Land of Our Lady Series. In 8th they have plans somewhere for Quest of a Hemisphere, either of the Anne Carrol Books or whatever the current thing for 8th is. If you have a highschooler enrolled, I think you could get the Middle School Lit Guide.

The newer plans are more detailed, but if they have something you are using anyways - that helps a lot.

One of the reasons that their web and catelogue are so hard to follow is the immense flexibility. That is why you should spend time on the phone asking. When you know what you want to use for a spine - ask, they may have a plan for it somewhere!

Look at the catelogue and see what is the current offering. You may be able to decide you'd like the plans for a different grade's science or some such thing. The more you communicate, the more they are able to help.

They give some decent comments back if you ask for it on quarter report stuff - but generally don't say unless you ask, cause they respect your role as primary teacher. However, if you are enrolled and need more help with writing input (the biggest timesaver for me), they will give really great feedback on papers (12 per quarter is what I have now). This does not come with the standard enrollment but costs extra - but you can sign up later a quarter at a time if you need that support. In that case, they will review any writing assignment - whether it is in their lesson plans or not. I've sent all kinds of stuff in from RChistory topics, Hillside. It has really benefited my highschoolers.

Sorry I couldn't get back with you sooner to clarify the lit guide question and exactly what came with enrollment but it seems you got your answer. I have 3 children enrolled - a 6th, 8th and highschooler. I use enhanced evaluation for the highschooler but otherwise have not sent a single thing in to them - and I use the plans when and how I want. I have called for general questions in subject areas to save time (ie think chemistry) and even for talking through the discernment process of what we are dealing with. I have gotten wonderful e-mails with detailed explanations of things I needed to help my dc in science and so on. I know it has been a bit of a stretch for us to afford - but it has been worth it for us.   I love their Sadlier Oxford composition books. They may be a bit workbooky for some - but for my science minded, writing hating boys -they have been a real blessing.

I may not have to enroll my younger two for a long time cause now I have all the lesson plans and I don't use much in the really early years anyway - but just for the EES I will probably enroll my highschoolers.

Janet

Martha in VA
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 03 2009 at 8:33am | IP Logged Quote Martha in VA

Would someone please tell me how many weeks Kolbe schedules into their school year?

Our Family Blog

ALmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 03 2009 at 11:08am | IP Logged Quote ALmom

Each quarter is 8 weeks long - giving 180 days per year.

Janet

DianaC
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 19 2013 at 12:57pm | IP Logged Quote DianaC

I'm looking for some good literature guides with a Catholic perspective. I found this old thread about Kolbe literature guides. Would you recommend this, still? Are there others to consider?

I would like to pursue some good literature with my 13 year old and discuss the elements from a Catholic worldview. My caveats are: I have next to no experience with literature criticism and discussion. I have not read many of the "good books" myself.

I see that Ignatius has several critical editions that I think will be helpful in later years, but I think they are mostly too mature for our needs now.

Any guidance is appreciated!!
Back to Top View DianaC's Profile Search for other posts by DianaC

kristinannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 20 2013 at 2:25pm | IP Logged Quote kristinannie

This has a really good description of the middle school lit guide. HTH.

Katherine Elizabeth 8 months
Back to Top View kristinannie's Profile Search for other posts by kristinannie

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version