Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
We Pray to the Lord
 4Real Forums : We Pray to the Lord
Subject Topic: Update on Barbara Brown Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
ladybugs
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Dec 15 2005 at 1:40pm | IP Logged Quote ladybugs

Hi Families,

I know many of you know Barbara Brown who is currently battling cancer.

On another list I am on, Cindy Kelly posted this from Barbara's latest journal entry from her Caring Bridge page.

Knowing how prayerful you all are and how much we all love Barbara, I thought I'd post this here.

MONDAY, DECEMBER 12, 2005 09:37 PM, CST
We met with hospice folks at the end of last week, and have had a couple of their nurses stop by. We are trying to get Barbara's pain medication sorted out to where it is effective for her. It may take a few more days or so to get things where we are okay with them.

We have been able to make it to church on the weekends, and even made it this past Thursday for the Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary. It rained most of the way there and back, but we did also get in a stop at a Waffle House. I guess the point being that we are trying to get out and do as much as we can.

We have had people coming by to visit us too. We are trying to balance this with Barbara being able to get all the rest she needs. As has been mentioned in the guestbook, you never know who will show up. We have been getting wonderful cards, letters and emails from friends we haven't seen in years. And we have heard from many whom we have not even met in person.

I was finally going to break down and get a digital camera, since film tends to stay undeveloped for so long. I wish to thank my brother Rick and his wife Helen for getting us one for Christmas this year, and encouraging us to use it now. I put one new pic in the photos section, to show all of our old freinds that our living room is still pretty 'cozy'. We will try to get more pics taken over this Advent Season.

I know this is short, but just wanted to let everyone know that we are taking everything a day at a time. We have had some good laughs this past week. Trying to rest in His arms isn't always easy, but we are trying. As you pray for us, we look through the guestbook and pray for you as well.

Zachary has two more exams tomorrow, and will be coming home Thursday. We can hardly wait.

Bruce

My etsy store - all proceeds go to help my fencing daughters!
Back to Top View ladybugs's Profile Search for other posts by ladybugs Visit ladybugs's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 15 2005 at 1:46pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Thanks, Maria, for the update. We continue to pray.

BTW, the link didn't work for her blog. Could you help, please? I'd like to keep checking on it.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

ladybugs
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 15 2005 at 1:48pm | IP Logged Quote ladybugs

Try this, Jenn

Hopefully, that will work. You might have to register to have access to her page.

Back to Top View ladybugs's Profile Search for other posts by ladybugs Visit ladybugs's Homepage

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Dec 15 2005 at 1:59pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

If you go to caringbridge.org and click on "visit a caring bridge site" and then type in barbarabrown--all one word in lower case, you'll get there. That'll work until the geeks see this thread and someone far brighter than I am figures out the direct link.

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 15 2005 at 2:00pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Elizabeth wrote:
If you go to caringbridge.org and click on "visit a caring bridge site" and then type in barbarabrown--all one word in lower case, you'll get there. That'll work until the geeks see this thread and someone far brighter than I am figures out the direct link.

Thanks...that was going to be my next question. What is the name of her site!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 15 2005 at 2:05pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

How beautiful! Barbara is an inspirtation! Her husband's faith is impressive...what a wonderful support she has in him!

ladybugs
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 15 2005 at 2:34pm | IP Logged Quote ladybugs

Elizabeth wrote:

I don't know whether to laugh or cry...I know...
Maybe I should write a new lyric to Amazing Grace...

I once was a geek but someone far brighter than I needs to figure out this link...

It's so funny, when you're younger, you're a geek and when you're older, you wanna be one....

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 15 2005 at 7:36pm | IP Logged Quote momwise

Thanks very much for the update Maria!

PDyer
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 15 2005 at 10:06pm | IP Logged Quote PDyer

Maybe this will work.

Barbara Brown Caringbridge site

Back to Top View PDyer's Profile Search for other posts by PDyer Visit PDyer's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 15 2005 at 10:11pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

PDyer wrote:
Maybe this will work.

Barbara Brown Caringbridge site

Thanks, Patty!

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Dec 16 2005 at 11:03am | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Thank you, Maria. Our prayers continue.

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

ladybugs
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 26 2005 at 12:37pm | IP Logged Quote ladybugs

Hi Ladies,

Here's the latest on dear Barbara and family...

MONDAY, DECEMBER 26, 2005 12:12 AM, EST
'Look, the virgin shall conceive and bear a son,
and they shall name him Emmanuel',
which means, 'God is with us.' (Matthew 1:23)

Christmas Day. Barbara is still with us, although not able to communicate in ways that we can easily understand. What pain this causes us, as she has always been such a great and caring writer. Her spoken words were always so well chosen as well.

We had a great amount of trouble getting her awake for her afternoon medicine, and thought she was leaving us, but the Hospice nurse came and checked her and we found that her heart rate and BP are good. She is eating almost nothing, and isn't hungry. We know that her body is beginning to shut itself down. How hard this has been to see this on this great day we celebrate the birth of our Lord and Savior. The first coming of Jesus, and how we so eagerly await His second coming!

We have received so many encouraging cards and letters. Some are very hard to read at the moment, but we cherish them and will keep them for the great memories they will provide. I read some of them to Barbara this evening, but can only assume she is cognizant of what I have said to her. Although we put our trust in God, I believe it would be nice to know you have accomplished something worthwhile in life. I pray she can understand what is being read to her and is encouraged. She has poured her life into what she has believed and that has been love. And love never fails.

The Lord is my chosen portion and my cup;
you hold my lot.
The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places;
I have a goodly heritage.

I bless the Lord who gives me counsel;
in the night also my heart instructs me.
I keep the Lord always before me;
because he is at my right hand, I shall not be moved.

Therefore my heart is glad, and my soul rejoices;
my body also rests secure.
For you do not give me up to Sheol,
or let your faithful one see the Pit.

You show me the path of life.
In your presence there is fullness of joy;
in your right hand are pleasures forevermore. (Psalm 16:5-11)

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 26 2005 at 1:33pm | IP Logged Quote momwise

I love the Litany to St. Joseph for the dying. I'll pray it today.

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: Dec 28 2005 at 3:37pm | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

Praying for Barbara and her family. Thanks for the link.

Leonie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 28 2005 at 6:30pm | IP Logged Quote Leonie

From another list -

<<,Barbara passed away after 3 this afternoon.
I just spoke with our friend Ralph, he said Bruce said she passed as if
going to sleep.>>>>>

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Dec 28 2005 at 6:37pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

I'm bumping this up and making it announcement. Give me a few moments to collect myself and we'll begin a novena.

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)

Leonie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 28 2005 at 6:44pm | IP Logged Quote Leonie

Thanks, Elizabeth. I couldn't think straight.

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Dec 28 2005 at 6:48pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Divine Mercy Novena for the soul of Barbara Brown

First Day
"Today bring to Me all mankind, especially all sinners,

and immerse them in the ocean of My mercy. In this way you will console Me in the bitter grief into which the loss of souls plunges Me."

Most Merciful Jesus, whose very nature it is to have compassion on us and to forgive us, do not look upon our sins but upon our trust which we place in Your infinite goodness. Receive us all into the abode of Your Most Compassionate Heart, and never let us escape from It. We beg this of You by Your love which unites You to the Father and the Holy Spirit.

Eternal Father, turn Your merciful gaze upon all mankind and especially upon poor sinners, all enfolded in the Most Compassionate Heart of Jesus. For the sake of His sorrowful Passion show us Your mercy, that we may praise the omnipotence of Your mercy for ever and ever. Amen.

Cindy
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 28 2005 at 7:05pm | IP Logged Quote Cindy

Thank you for posting. Praying here. What a beautiful soul and how much she has given to us all.
Cindy

It Is About The Journey
Back to Top View Cindy's Profile Search for other posts by Cindy

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Dec 28 2005 at 9:24pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

We're praying the Novena. Thank you, Elizabeth.

My heart just aches for Barbara's close family and friends. I'm just an online admirer of Barbara's and I'm so sad and disoriented. Thank God for prayer and for the communion of saints.

Back to praying.

Love,   

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version