Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Would You Wear This? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
RamFam
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 24 2009 at 3:08pm | IP Logged Quote RamFam

Lisa,
I'm kinda chuckling because, of all people, I could never picture YOU as being self conscious about how you look in public. You seem to be such a strong individual. If having many little ones, a big vehicle, a child in a wrap, and a very pregnant tummy didn't turn heads, I don't think a head scarf will. [I hope that didn't sound offensive. It wasn't intended to...]
Do what feels good!

Back to Top View RamFam's Profile Search for other posts by RamFam Visit RamFam's Homepage

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 24 2009 at 3:31pm | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

Leah - you made me giggle!    Yes, I can be very self conscious about how I look - sometimes to a fault even.   

Those headbands won't work for me b/c my hair is cropped close to my head in the back - so a headband would look weird in the back. I ordered two headscarves from coveryouhead.com, a pale pink and a pale blue one. I do think I'll just go for it. Susan, you encouraged me. I've always veiled for church, and this will work for that too! YaY!

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet

hylabrook1
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 24 2009 at 3:32pm | IP Logged Quote hylabrook1

Lisa - I think it would look really cute on you, in an off-beat sort of way. Maybe some of the other wrapping techniques on those webpages would look a bit less chemo-ish or less Chabad-ish. Or, as someone else mentioned, if you placed it so that a bit of your hair showed. I'd also think about barrettes, headbands, maybe a pixie scarf or bandana (they come in some really cute prints) tied at the back of your head. Weren't you using a baseball cap a couple of summers ago? That looked cute too, although by this summer Greta might be really into pulling it off your head. I think if you just wore whatever and didn't act self-conscious about it, you could pull it off and it would be a lovely form of self-expression.

Peace,
Nancy
Back to Top View hylabrook1's Profile Search for other posts by hylabrook1

happymama
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 24 2009 at 3:50pm | IP Logged Quote happymama

I think this has been asked in threads about chapel veils, but I still don't get how you keep the little kids from pulling it off?!
Back to Top View happymama's Profile Search for other posts by happymama

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 24 2009 at 4:05pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Happymama, it would be the same as anything else.. at first you end up fixing it often.. but they learn. My 8 month old rarely grabs my glasses because they've always been a "no".

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 24 2009 at 4:47pm | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

funny story - I was playing around with a scarf on my head (waaayyyy to vivid to wear out, but good for practice) when my almost 3yo dd walked in the room and asked "Are we going to church mama?"

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12

CathinCoffeland
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 24 2009 at 9:45pm | IP Logged Quote CathinCoffeland

I love that site!

I have worn my hair up like that though mine is longer.

but we have , mennonites, muslims, hippies and a cancer center in the area so no one even blinks.

mostly though i go bandana cause frankly it is faster.

Maggie
Back to Top View CathinCoffeland's Profile Search for other posts by CathinCoffeland Visit CathinCoffeland's Homepage

missionfamily
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 24 2009 at 10:01pm | IP Logged Quote missionfamily

I use bandanas a lot tied kerchief style when my hair is making me crazy..they've kind of been my own funky fashion trend since high school...I also like wide printed scarved wrapped around a few times so they cover a lot of hair, but leave long tails...sort of 70s chic, you know?

Happymama, I've been tying my chapel veil ends under my hair in back lately so it is less distracting to my little ones and I don't have to fidget with it to keep it in place...probably not the best etiquette for its lovely style, but it makes me more confident that I am not being a distraction to others in Mass.

Footprints on the Fridge
Back to Top View missionfamily's Profile Search for other posts by missionfamily Visit missionfamily's Homepage

Servant2theKing
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 25 2009 at 7:05am | IP Logged Quote Servant2theKing

Lisbet, you would look lovely in that style of headcovering! Hope you will wear it with confidence and enjoy making your own personal fashion statement. If you find it awkward at first, you could offer up your feelings as a prayer for the sake of those with cancer, who might be feeling even more conspicuous. You'll probably have ladies asking you where you found your lovely scarves. I've always valued those women whose style is feminine and uniquely their own, as opposed to those who follow whatever cookie-cutter "uniform" the fashion industry is touting at the time.

I went through the hair growing out stage several years ago, using headbands...I wish I had thought of something chic like those scarves at the time. If the bun scarf doesn't want to stay put in the front, you could add a nice beaded or metal headband, or a twisted bandana as Elizabeth mentions in a separate post, over the top to help it stay in place...I mention this because when your hair is shorter, a scarf sometimes want to slide off.

It's so cute that your little one thought you were going to Church! How precious!

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 25 2009 at 8:18am | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

Colleen - I'm so glad you piped in - I know you are a fashion diva at heart!    

I have never developed my own 'style' - I have aways wore whatever was trendy - and quite honestly I'm tired of it, but I don't want to look silly either, but I probably do anyway...ah well, who cares - right?

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12

Christine
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 25 2009 at 8:36am | IP Logged Quote Christine

I stumbled upon this website while searching for a chapel veil, and thought of this post. It has links to some cute (and some not so cute) headcoverings.

Pretty Lilla Rose
Back to Top View Christine's Profile Search for other posts by Christine Visit Christine's Homepage

vmalott
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 26 2009 at 8:24am | IP Logged Quote vmalott

When I was growing out of my "punk" stage in college and working in a cafeteria, I wore scarves every day to cover the semi-mohawk I had and try to appear a little less like the high school kids I was serving lunch to!

I also wore scarves in high school, to do exactly as you'd like to do...get my hair through the awkward stage. My hair is very curly, so it goes through a very bushy awkward stage before it is long enough for gravity to pull it down and look decent.

My hair has been the same way since we've been married, with a brief time of it being uber-short right after our first was born. I've been toying with the idea of growing it out and had forgotten about using scarves until I read this thread. Maybe I'll do it after all.

Valerie

Back to Top View vmalott's Profile Search for other posts by vmalott Visit vmalott's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version