Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: Sports practice and dinner?? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 12 2010 at 12:24pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

I was just thinking of this Melissa..

I think I'm going to start a pot of beans for dinner tonight.. that will give us another easy meal later in the week of bean burritos.. which can be cooked up in 30 minutes or less.

Sandwiches could be nice.. especially if you do something that you don't get often.

Hard boiled eggs can be good for snacking. You can even do deviled eggs and then put together two filled halves and wrap with plastic wraps for travel. Cold cooked chicken.. fried or grilled can be great snacks.. I like this better if I cook it in strips or slice the cooked meat into strips rather than gnawing on big chunks.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Elena
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 12 2010 at 1:20pm | IP Logged Quote Elena

The crockpot is a lifesaver for us! Also it helps to have some meals frozen that can just be thrawed, heated and served.

One Day at a Time

Back to Top View Elena's Profile Search for other posts by Elena Visit Elena's Homepage

stacykay
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 12 2010 at 1:45pm | IP Logged Quote stacykay

We are still stuck on the old stand-bys for the players-submarines, some fruit that travels well, and water/gatorade. They work well in the cooler. One of my favorite take-alongs is tuna salad and crackers or pita. I keep the tuna in a container spread on crackers or spoon some into a pita. If I take the pitas, I also try to bring some lettuce, just cause I have to have something crunchy!

We are having spaghetti tonight, with game day tomorrow. Tomorrow's dinner is subs for ds and dh, and pizza for the rest of us (Tuesday, for some reason, is our pizza night. )

God Bless,
Stacy in MI
Back to Top View stacykay's Profile Search for other posts by stacykay

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 12 2010 at 4:57pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

ok I'm gonna try and get some baking done.. that gives us some stuff like oatmeal bars or banana bread (pumpkin bread, zucchini bread) for an afternoon snack, I use whole wheat flour and add nuts or dried fruits to "beef it up".. this week I'm gonna do

stuffed baked potatoes (just needs to be early)
bean soup (can cook while I'm not here and be ready to eat when we get home)
chicken and rice (I'm home to cook this)
bean and rice burritos (uses leftovers and heats up fast so can be made after practise)
polish sausage, mashed potatoes, saurkraut, carrots (birthday dinner)
And then I'm thinking a pasta dish or somethign for the bbq on Saturday.. or both.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott

LLMom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 12 2010 at 9:47pm | IP Logged Quote LLMom

We eat away from our home a lot so I have developed my own version of something to keep food warm. I use a soft style cooler box and line that with my heating pad without the cover. I then heat our food (buritos, hamburgers, hot dogs, pizza, chicken, etc) and wrap in foil. THen I place it in the cooler and plug it into the car. It stays warm throughout practices or whatever. The other kids not involved in the sports or whatever eat during and the others on the way home. We live far from everything so sometimes we all eat in the car.

Back to Top View LLMom's Profile Search for other posts by LLMom

Mary Chris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 13 2010 at 8:44am | IP Logged Quote Mary Chris

So funny to see and read this post. I popped in for a quick visit, scrolling down the list of topics I saw this one, Sports practice and dinner.....wow that is on my mind too.....only to see it was a topic I started in the past. Food and sports....seems to be all I think about!

It was good to take a deep breathe again and tell myself it is ok to eat at 8.

MelissaClaire
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 13 2010 at 12:15pm | IP Logged Quote MelissaClaire

I think I'm going to try to do more substantial "snacks" in the late afternoon, like yogurt and a muffin or cheese and crackers and berries or your idea of hard boiled eggs with pretzles and a lighter dinner when we get home. (at least on game nights. I think we can get away with a crockpot dinner waiting for us on practice nights.)

My oldest is just 8 and they all go to bed at 8 still so trying to fit a big dinner and showers (desperately needed with spring allergies)in before (or close to a normal) bedtime is going to be too hard and make for lots of cranky people.

Thankfully the tball field is in the next neighborhood over so it's close to get to, but the drive isn't long enough to get any eating done! Sports are a family affair here (especially since everyone is so little) so everyone goes to all the practices and games together (unless they have to be on another field!)

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: April 15 2010 at 8:57pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Angie Mc wrote:
9:00 substantial breakfast
11:00 veggie snack
1:00 main meal
4:00 small meal at home or in the van
6:00 and after...snacks

Right now, we have practice M-F evenings plus tournaments on weekends. On the rare night that we don't have a week night practice, if dh is home (he works in the area 2 nights a week and often travels,) we have a sit down family evening meal and I make the lunch light. We don't do fast food because, honestly, its faster for us to do our own food...to do one more thing on the road is more worrisome to me .

There have been seasons where we have eaten late at night, but now we're hooked on our strict bedtime routine that begins at 8:30. My dh prefers us to have lights out at 10:00 to eating a sit down meal with us.

In the van we have granola bars, fruit leather, and nuts for snacks. I sure could use some travel snack/light meal ideas...

Love,

The above is last year's plan. Here's our latest plan. Our athletes eat additional snacks as needed pre and post game.

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

mamasue
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 18 2011 at 12:04pm | IP Logged Quote mamasue

Baseball season is half way over (for us!) I love the idea of subs for a quick clean dinner on the go.
Any sub suggestions?
Thanks,
Suzette
Back to Top View mamasue's Profile Search for other posts by mamasue

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 18 2011 at 12:52pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Safeway (grocery store) has been having their big subs on sale periodically.. usually just on Friday for $5 each. I haven't figured it out for sure but I can't imagine that I could make them for less than that.. these are big and easily feed 2-3 people. (someone who eats a footlong from Subway, would only eat about half of it). But we've bought them on Friday for a Saturday game and they do fine.

-Sir Walter Scott

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: May 18 2011 at 2:51pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

mamasue wrote:
Baseball season is half way over (for us!) I love the idea of subs for a quick clean dinner on the go.
Any sub suggestions?
Thanks,
Suzette

Suzette, we LOVE this method, keeping the dressed veggies in a container/cooler until we put the subs together on the scene. YUM!

Have a blast with baseball!

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 18 2011 at 2:59pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

or you can go the opposite with sandwiches that are supposed to sit and soak up the ingreadients and get smashed.. like this Italian Pressed Sandwich

-Sir Walter Scott

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version