Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Literature
 4Real Forums : Living Literature
Subject Topic: Which Little House book set would you buy Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 12 2009 at 4:52pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

I have my old paperback set that I read when I was a little girl. They have the Garth Williams illustrations, but the pages are all yellowing and some are quite brown. I'm considering purchasing a newer set that would be easier to read. My oldest dd has read my old set twice and complains that it hurts her eyes to read them.

So...would you prefer the full color paperback boxed set which only appears to include the first 5 books of the set. I'd have to see if I can find the last 4 in color. Does anyone know if they are available? I confess I'm really drawn to the color illustrations!

Or...the 9 book boxed set - paperback??

If I don't buy the color books, I'm leaning towards collecting all the books in hardcover.

What would you do? Are the color illustrations worth having? Have these newer paperbacks been abridged? I hate buying books I already have, but my old paperbacks are so yucky!

I'd love to hear from you if you know anything about the color illustrations or if these more recently published books have been abridged at all! Thanks ladies!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: March 12 2009 at 5:00pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

I just answered many of my own questions...see what a few more minutes of google-ing would have done - I could have spared you my ridiculous questions!

In case anyone's interested (though likely you all already knew)...

The Little House books are all still unabridged - whew! The Garth Williams illustrations are only in those Little House books with a Garth Williams cover (one that is an illustration, not a photograph).

And, it appears all 9 of the paperback books are available with color illustrations - just not as a part of the set.

So...I'd love to hear from you if you have the full color illustrated books and what you think of them!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

SusanJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 12 2009 at 5:03pm | IP Logged Quote SusanJ

We've been collecting the hardcover ones for the same reason as you--mine from when I was a kid are falling apart. The hardcover is nice and sturdy but I will say that my illustrations in Plum Creek are not as clear, for some reason. So if illustrations are really important to you, that one book seems to be worse in the hardcover edition.

Back to Top View SusanJ's Profile Search for other posts by SusanJ Visit SusanJ's Homepage

kozimom
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: March 12 2009 at 6:54pm | IP Logged Quote kozimom

Hard cover is probably the best way to go......we have been through 3 paper back sets so far..........
Back to Top View kozimom's Profile Search for other posts by kozimom

Kristin
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 13 2009 at 10:12am | IP Logged Quote Kristin

It's funny you ask this. I just purchased a used set on Amazon and prior to buying them, I came here to figure out what I should look for (I remembered the discussion of recent changes to "modernize" the books).

I'm still actually very confused. I bought a set which I believe has the Garth Williams illustrations, but I'm not sure what the difference is between the cover being an actual illustration or a photograph! I didn't even know that books with color illustrations were available ...

I'm a little bummed out, because as soon as I opened the box I got a strong smell of smoke!

KerryK
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 13 2009 at 7:03pm | IP Logged Quote KerryK

We bought the color-illustration set and have been adding to it as we go along. We love them!

Mary (6)
New baby Samuel 2/26/07!
and 9 angels in heaven

The Eyes of My Heart
Back to Top View KerryK's Profile Search for other posts by KerryK Visit KerryK's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: March 14 2009 at 7:38am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Kristin wrote:
I'm a little bummed out, because as soon as I opened the box I got a strong smell of smoke!

I'm sorry, Kristin! That is a huge bummer! I buy probably 80% of my books used - mostly from Amazon - and it is a concern I have, too. Totally OT - but I have learned that when buying used, ex-library copies are usually in great condition (hardcover, mylar dust jacket) even if they have been around the block a few times, AND...totally smoke free! Of course, that wouldn't have helped on the box set of Little House books...

I'm still on the fence...color or hardcover????

Thank you all for chiming in!!! Anybody else got an opinion?

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: March 14 2009 at 7:42am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

I'm going to see if Lissa can weigh in and clear up confusion. She's the Little House expert.

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

Lissa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 14 2009 at 2:08pm | IP Logged Quote Lissa

Elizabeth wrote:
I'm going to see if Lissa can weigh in and clear up confusion. She's the Little House expert.

Thanks, Elizabeth!

Kristin wrote:
I'm still actually very confused. I bought a set which I believe has the Garth Williams illustrations, but I'm not sure what the difference is between the cover being an actual illustration or a photograph! I didn't even know that books with color illustrations were available ...

The illustrated covers are the famous Garth Williams art, as well, so you'll know easily by looking at them. The newer editions with no interior illustrations have covers that are photographs of a girl in costume.

The text of Laura's books has not been abridged and I doubt it ever will be. The photo cover editions differ inside only in the absence of illustrations.

All the other series (Rose, Caroline, Martha, and Charlotte) WERE abridged in the photo-cover edition. So you'll want to avoid photo covers for those series. In some cases over half the book was chopped out. (Wince.)

And as for Jennifer's question about Laura's books--color paperbacks vs. hardcover: it's really hard to say! I'm a purist about the art & much prefer it in the original black & white. But the colorized versions are very nice quality books--better paper & binding than the usual paperback quality. Harper tried to make them a step up from regular paperbacks, so they shouldn't fall apart as quickly. They sent me a whole set and I must admit those are the copies my kids seem to choose for their own--not the hardcovers. Garth Williams's art does look lovely in watercolor (same style as the covers); I just like it the way it was when I was a kid.

Hope that helps!

Lissa

Lissa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 14 2009 at 2:21pm | IP Logged Quote Lissa

Oh, and I think I read somewhere that if you put smoke-scented books in a bag with a dryer sheet like Bounce for a while, that can reduce the odor. Is that true? Am I making it up? I can't remember where I read it.

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: March 14 2009 at 2:32pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Lissa wrote:
I just like it the way it was when I was a kid.

Me too, .

This is a thread from a few years back on tips for removing odors from used books.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Lissa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 14 2009 at 2:44pm | IP Logged Quote Lissa

MaryM wrote:
Lissa wrote:
I just like it the way it was when I was a kid.

Me too, .

One argument Harper made in defense of the decision to publish editions with photo covers and no Garth art was that the Garth art itself was added to the books many years after their initial publication. The REAL original editions didn't have illustrations at all. But a whole generation of us grew up with that art and feel almost as strongly attached to it as we do to the books themselves. When people raised an outcry of "Little House isn't the same without Garth Williams's art,"Harper was like: What are you talking about? WE added that art in 1953, and some people objected to it then!"

But I still want that art to be there.

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: March 14 2009 at 5:48pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Lissa wrote:
And as for Jennifer's question about Laura's books--color paperbacks vs. hardcover: it's really hard to say! I'm a purist about the art & much prefer it in the original black & white. But the colorized versions are very nice quality books--better paper & binding than the usual paperback quality. Harper tried to make them a step up from regular paperbacks, so they shouldn't fall apart as quickly. They sent me a whole set and I must admit those are the copies my kids seem to choose for their own--not the hardcovers. Garth Williams's art does look lovely in watercolor (same style as the covers); I just like it the way it was when I was a kid.

Thanks so much for weighing in, Lissa!!! I confess, I love the black and whites as well...and I just love the feel of the hardback in your hands!! But, those color illustrations sound lovely. I think I may splurge and get the color set for the kids to enjoy...and watch the used bookstores for hardcover copies to collect a little at a time...for me.    I do remember seeing them in my favorite used bookstore in Nashville.

I'm thrilled to have all the inside info about paper and binding because that really was one of my biggest concerns with the paperback sets. These books get a lot of reading time!

And, Kristin...I was hunting around and found something that offered more advice on removing smoke smell from books! And then, there's just a plethora of advice here. Maybe you can freshen your set over the summer and have them ready to go!! HTH!

Thanks again, Lissa! (BTW, we're just starting the Martha books...and are in love! What a wonderful series!)

Kristin
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 14 2009 at 5:52pm | IP Logged Quote Kristin

Thanks, Lissa, for the detailed explanation!

Mary, thank you for linking the thread about removing odors from used books! Amazing I think I will try the newspaper idea first, but I must admit it is a little daunting because we're talking about the whole set and the box as well!

helene
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 17 2009 at 9:49pm | IP Logged Quote helene

I bought those color paperbacks on sale just after Christmas and we have been enjoying them very much. I think they didn't detract at all from the originals but simply enhanced them beautifully. The books are very weighty as you hold them in your hand, you can feel the quality. The newer color pictures are attention grabbers for younger kids and help keep them focused throught the chapter.

Carmie
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: March 19 2009 at 12:06am | IP Logged Quote Carmie

We have the set of paperback collector's editions. The Garth Williams illustrations have been colorized and the paper is very nice, thick and sturdy. I love this set although hardcover would be nice too.

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: May 01 2009 at 8:57pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

I just wanted to update this thread since I made a decision and the children have been delighting in the new Little House books.

Lissa wrote:
the colorized versions are very nice quality books--better paper & binding than the usual paperback quality. Harper tried to make them a step up from regular paperbacks, so they shouldn't fall apart as quickly.

After hearing what Lissa said about the color books with the nice paper, good binding, lovely watercolors, I decided that's what I'd get. I'm not disappointed.   The paper is a nice, heavy, smooth paper. It is delightful to touch - if one could say that about paper. The watercolors are indeed lovely. The watercolor illustrations coupled with the heavy-weight, smooth paper make for a very attractive book.

When the books came in, I set them out in the learning room on the table so I could take a look at them.   I came back later in the afternoon to find two books missing. My two older children had gotten to them before me. They've been devouring them ever since. My oldest dd is the only one who has read from my old (rather yellowed) set and now this one. She commented that she much preferred the new set and loved the color illustrations. My son, who is very visual, is captivated by the illustrations.

Just wanted to come back and say thank-you, Lissa, for the insight.

I've decided I will collect the hardcovers for myself a little at a time using a favorite used book store that specializes in children's literature and classics.

Kathryn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 02 2009 at 3:35pm | IP Logged Quote Kathryn

Hi,

I'm new but I also have my original Little House books that my older daughter has read and re-read (and me too!) Therefore, I found this topic of interest but was wanting clarification if the 5 book paperback set is the only one with full color illustrations inside? Is that the one referred to as the nicer paper etc? Do they have the additional 4 books available with full color? Hopefully I didn't miss this info in another post.

Thank you,

Kathryn
Back to Top View Kathryn's Profile Search for other posts by Kathryn

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: May 04 2009 at 11:04am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Kathryn wrote:
I found this topic of interest but was wanting clarification if the 5 book paperback set is the only one with full color illustrations inside?

Yes. This is the full color set - it's the same one linked to in the original post. I don't know why they only made the set with the first 5 books of the series and not all 9???

Kathryn wrote:
Is that the one referred to as the nicer paper etc?

Yes.

Kathryn wrote:
Do they have the additional 4 books available with full color?

Yes. You can buy them individually. I did.

Kathryn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 05 2009 at 12:48pm | IP Logged Quote Kathryn

Thank you for the info!

By the way, I looked at your blog and I sure wish I had a school room set up like yours!! You must be super organized.
Back to Top View Kathryn's Profile Search for other posts by Kathryn

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version