Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: Organic food - which items are essential? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
St. Ann
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 03 2009 at 12:16pm | IP Logged Quote St. Ann

Since being back here in FL, I have been buying MacArthur Farms milk at CVS. I know it isn't organic but the label states No Artificial Growth Hormone. Is this enough? Or are there other additives I should be aware of? In Germany I have a raw milk source from a local farmer. Once again, it is not organic, but I know the conditions of the farm.

When I get back, I would love to try making my own butter. Molly, maybe you could share how you do it?

Wife and mother to Hannah '96, Maria '99, Dorothea '01, Helena '03
Back to Top View St. Ann's Profile Search for other posts by St. Ann Visit St. Ann's Homepage

hmbress
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 03 2009 at 12:22pm | IP Logged Quote hmbress

I asked my nutritionist about this a few years ago and she pointed me to this resource:

Shopper's Guide to Pesticides in Produce

If you click on the printable version you get a handy dandy wallet guide. It helps me when shopping to know where to concentrate my efforts. Hope that's helpful!

DeAnn M
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 03 2009 at 12:58pm | IP Logged Quote DeAnn M

Marilyn, I think we belong to the same raw milk co-op.

We have belonged to it for over a year and a half and have not had any issues. This is a very well-run co-op. The farmer(s) are very reputable and the quality of products is great. They also sell grass-fed beef and great chickens and eggs. Everything they sell is compatible to the principles in Nourishing Traditions. I especially love the yogurt and kefir...we use it in smoothies. It's definitely worth looking into if you are in the NOVA area.

Also, if you hunt around on the Weston A Price website, there are some good articles and some specifically on eating well on a budget. I also just found this blog: Organic and Thrifty She gives lots of Menu Plans and info. on, well, being organic and thrifty. I think her family is Greek Orthodox so she has some good Lenten suggestions too.

Hope that helps.

DeAnn
Back to Top View DeAnn M's Profile Search for other posts by DeAnn M

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 03 2009 at 1:29pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

TracyFD wrote:
I agree, Sarah! I think I spend way too much on organic food. Just think of organic food as "honestly priced". After reading The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan my perspective of the agriculture industry was broadened. I realize more fully that conventionally grown food does not reflect the price of the ill effects on health and environment, government crop subsidies, etc.

Pollan visited the Polyface Farm and much of the book is about the responsible and sensible farming practices used there. I highly recommend this book to anyone interested in organic food.

There is a great documentary, King Corn, which I think is excellent as well. I think the makers of it were inspired by The Omnivore's Dilemma.

I think that one of the benefits of buying local and paying a bit more is also developing the relationship with the farmer that helps you become aware of opportunities to save. I get my chicken, eggs, beef, and pork from a local farmer, and I just inquired and got 6 laying hens for $5 a piece! They are large birds, maybe 6-7 lbs; though, I didn't weigh them. But, I do a lot of stocks and such, and while an old hen isn't good for roasting or eating that way, its plenty tasty for making a bunch of stock (I was able to make good stock 2-3 times with the same bird with the ones I got last year) and have some meat for a batch of chicken soup.

Also, after finding local sources for produce and such, I can get good quality stuff that is better than the conventional stuff at the store but is from farmers that can't afford the expensive process to become "certified organic" which, to be honest, isn't the biggest thing I look for anymore.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

LucyP
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 03 2009 at 2:25pm | IP Logged Quote LucyP

Well, I usually buy organic milk, because it has higher omegas in it, and my babies' brains need all the help they can get after rocky starts in life. The rest? I just simply can't afford it. We do desserts only on Sunday/birthdays etc, and meat only once (sometimes twice) a week. We don't do junk food. But I cannot afford organic. All I do is pray and just ask God to protect us. That's all I can do. And most of my friends, too.
Back to Top View LucyP's Profile Search for other posts by LucyP

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version