Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: Declutter Missions #1-4 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 05 2009 at 12:09pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

I got the boys room cleared out last night.. working on girls room today..

my dh will be going to the town we can get totes much more inexpensively than here.. so I want those done so that i can see what we need to store things nicely.

So I'm getting rid of trash, and putting away extra shoes and clothes.. not as much "decluttering" as in getting rid of things that are still in good condition but it's still organizing and reducing.

We've decided that we're ready to be looking at moving to a larger house locally.. so I'm trying to get stuff done so that we can clear things out of rooms, refinish floors.. things we are planning on doing if we stay here or not.. but things that have to be done if we want to sell this place.. so I'll be doing a lot of whole rooms and packing up extra things that we don't want to get rid of.. and getting rid of some stuff.

My sister is letting us use some of her basement so that I can move stuff out of the house to store it while refinishing the floors and/or while trying to sell the house so that things are more open.. or as open as they can be with 10 people living in a small house

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 05 2009 at 12:46pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

I cleaned out my refrigerator earlier this week.

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

missionfamily
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 05 2009 at 3:01pm | IP Logged Quote missionfamily

My big boys are on their way home...while they were gone I got through all the laundry hot spots and tweaked the system a bit, rearranged and purged clothing in storage and laundered and stored all winter coats. And washed the baby clothes to get ready for the wee one. It feels great!

I also got through the junk collecting counter in the kitchen and made some preventative measures to keep it from becoming that again.

The next two priorities for me are the pantry and fridges and a complete purge of upstairs ( I have no idea what the kids have stashed up there over the last six months ).

Footprints on the Fridge
Back to Top View missionfamily's Profile Search for other posts by missionfamily Visit missionfamily's Homepage

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 07 2009 at 11:21am | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

I've been cleaning out the younger girls' room this morning.

I'm on a Dr. pepper break right now.

Really...it's a horrifying experience and I need to thank my poor tolerant husband for never saying a word about when or "if" I was ever going to get to it.

I am...today...hopefully finished by nightfall.

mom to 5
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

Sarah
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 07 2009 at 11:34am | IP Logged Quote Sarah

I'm sitting right now, Cay, after a mass cleaning of the boys' room. They tried to help, but it needed a mother's touch. Wow! I now know why my oldest was begging for me to buy more socks! I'm so glad I told him no at the store the other day. I found 13 pairs, yes, pairs under the bed! I guess I need to address this little habit! Lol.

This week I also cleared a special spot for neatly stacked books instead of chaotic piles.

Back to Top View Sarah's Profile Search for other posts by Sarah

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 07 2009 at 11:44am | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

Sarah wrote:
I'm sitting right now, Cay, after a mass cleaning of the boys' room. They tried to help, but it needed a mother's touch.

Oh, no, no! that won't do around here.
When I do a massive cleaning of bedrooms (which I do not do for my three older children anymore---I just shut the door ), I have to be by myself. That way I can toss at will. If they help me, lost toys are found and it's like Christmas morning all over again.

I found a lost paddle-ball in the closet and that is keeping Annie happy and occupied right now.

My dh did pass the door earlier and said, "you aren't throwing away near enough."

Well, I had just started.

The sad thing is I do this about every three months! I know I cleaned it right before Christmas.

Basically we're down to just a large red bin of webkinz and dolls, a basket of dress-up clothing, and their dollhouse in the corner w/ baskets holding all the small items.

Bookshelves hold their books and tea sets.

But the clutter "seems" to be ever present.

mom to 5

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 07 2009 at 11:46am | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

Annie just walked into her sister's room and said, "Mom, you need to get back to work."

How lame is that?!

Let's rethink child-labor.

mom to 5

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 07 2009 at 11:56am | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

ah.. girlie bedroom clutter.. that's because they get out the teasets with the dress up ANd the dolls and they borrow the legos from the boys to make snacks to have with their tea, and probably grab a few extra animals from there as well and then nothing get put back and the room looks like a mess even with only what belongs there

I got both kids rooms cleared out.. I'm about to head back in and make sure things are picked up again and get all the laundry out once again.

and then I think I'll tackle my room it's the "I don't know what to do with so I'll just stick it in here until later" dumping ground

But there's nothing on my calender for today or tomorrow after Church. I may not get such a large block of uncommitted time again for a while

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott

Sarah
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 07 2009 at 1:12pm | IP Logged Quote Sarah

Oh Cay, ROFL!

And Jodie you are so right about little girls. I don't even have the energy to go near her room today.

Why can't we just maintain? How does it get so bad? Sigh.

The boys were just lying on their beds watching me clean. Some would sneak away, others would just look distressed. When I dust mop a big pile out from under their beds, they don't even know where to begin.

I think I like the shut the door and clean alone idea better!

I just love this forum and you ladies. How fun! Its like you live next door.

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 07 2009 at 1:39pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

JodieLyn wrote:
ah.. girlie bedroom clutter.. that's because they get out the teasets with the dress up ANd the dolls and they borrow the legos from the boys to make snacks to have with their tea, and probably grab a few extra animals from there as well and then nothing get put back and the room looks like a mess even with only what belongs there

Exactly!!!

And of course don't forget Daddy's big shoeboxes that are cut-up and converted into automobiles to drive all the dolls and animals to the tea party.

And of course there's all the fancy-smancy scarves and jewelry and make-up gotten out of teenage sissy's room so they'll all be properly in style.

Oh, dear! It's been a long day.

JodieLyn wrote:
... it's the "I don't know what to do with so I'll just stick it in here until later" dumping ground

Oh, heavens! You did see my room before I cleaned it.

But I DID clean it.

JodieLyn wrote:
But there's nothing on my calender for today or tomorrow after Church. I may not get such a large block of uncommitted time again for a while

That's what I'm dealing w/. Lots of travel time is coming and this is the one weekend where the only plans are a pizza party at my aunt's house when the cousins get there later today.

It'll be a nice break from cleaning.

mom to 5

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 07 2009 at 1:44pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

Sarah wrote:

Why can't we just maintain? How does it get so bad? Sigh.

I keep asking myself...and the girls...that. In just two short months!

Sarah wrote:

I just love this forum and you ladies. How fun! Its like you live next door.

Oh, me too! me too!
You ladies have made my cleaning actually FUN!

Sarah, I'll be honest. When you posted this thread I wasn't planning on any kind of mission anytime soon. My heavens! hadn't I just super cleaned the whole house before Christmas??? I thought I was set for another year.

And I haven't even been consistent on Monday. Perhaps it's the spring weather blowing through the open windows today. I don't know. But each week I have done something and I'm so proud of myself, and my house.

And I want to thank you for being here and just praising us and supporting us in our little endeavors. It has meant the world to me.

Oh, and one last thing. I didn't realize how perfectly smart I was.

Dh sanded our bathroom last night and started painting today. So...see...because I was CLEANING, I got out of having to help PAINT!!!

Oh, happy-ME.

mom to 5

Sarah
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 07 2009 at 2:06pm | IP Logged Quote Sarah

thanks Cay.

Ugh. Painting. I agree, organizing is better.

I forgot to mention the half dozen cereal boxes under another son's bed. Luckily they were empty. He told me they are for projects and I can't throw them out! Oh dear, it feels like clutter to me to be putting "garbage" BACK under his bed. But I guess if he feels that strongly ...

He even thought he was missing a cereal box from the collection and went looking for it!

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 07 2009 at 8:24pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Well, I haven't gotten to my room yet.. I got highjacked by the hall closet.. didn't I post before about how I'm sure to find something that is different than what I post I want to do. Usually, it needs work just as much but it's like there's something about saying I'm going to do something that makes me want to avoid it.. but I never learn

-Sir Walter Scott

Kyra
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 09 2009 at 1:36pm | IP Logged Quote Kyra

I've gone through lots of old papers and binders. That's my Monday decluttering for this week. If my little one will let me, I'll organize the canned goods a little later. Does it count as decluttering if you don't throw much out? :)
Back to Top View Kyra's Profile Search for other posts by Kyra

Sarah
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 09 2009 at 2:20pm | IP Logged Quote Sarah

Keep going ladies!

This week 3 I am focusing on a kitchen hotspot.

KerryK
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 09 2009 at 3:39pm | IP Logged Quote KerryK

This week I focus on the master bedroom. It's really bad in there - we end up shoving all kinds of things in there to get them out of the way. Not exactly a restful place right now, so I hope to at least make some headway this week!

Mary (6)
New baby Samuel 2/26/07!
and 9 angels in heaven

The Eyes of My Heart
Back to Top View KerryK's Profile Search for other posts by KerryK Visit KerryK's Homepage

CatholicMommy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 09 2009 at 8:06pm | IP Logged Quote CatholicMommy

Thank for this further inspiration! I spent December and January really purging and cleaning and organizing - and finally got all my tall bookshelves so I could finally get all unpacked too! And even get rid of really beat-up boxes that have held some of my books for over 10 years!

I thought I was set, and while I want Lent to also be a time of purging, I just thought I'd take it easy... but this thread has inspired me to look again.

I'm starting on the scrapbook stuff as soon as my son gets to sleep... He's got his piles of stuff from the part-time preschool he goes to - and we've got 3 huge boxes of things to just get through and organized into albums. I'm not talking fancy (like "real" scrapbooking) - just insert pictures and momentos into those "magnetic" photo album pages and other assorted empty photo albums just sitting on a shelf. But it all just builds!

Wish me luck!

Back to Top View CatholicMommy's Profile Search for other posts by CatholicMommy Visit CatholicMommy's Homepage

Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 09 2009 at 8:49pm | IP Logged Quote Willa

I went through the winter closet and the entry room -- and got rid of two full trash bags.

Take Up and Read
Back to Top View Willa's Profile Search for other posts by Willa

Sarah
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 16 2009 at 9:25pm | IP Logged Quote Sarah

Oh Willa that is great! I need that!

Last week I tackled the baking cupboard.

This week is dedicated to clothing. Washing every piece and pulling out of circulation those items that are unneccessary. Slowly switching over from winter attire, too. Culling misfits and give away

Natalia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 16 2009 at 9:43pm | IP Logged Quote Natalia

Last week I tackled the boys dressers, got rid of clothes that didn't fit, boxed up the ones I am saving for my youngest and separated the ones I am mailing to my nephew, switched the winter clothes for summer ones (and of course the next day the temperatures dropped significantly).

Tomorrow I'll tackle one of the homeschooling shelves.

Back to Top View Natalia's Profile Search for other posts by Natalia

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version