Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: Grocery Shopping Post ReplyPost New Topic
Poll Question: Which part of the week do you do your major grocery shopping?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
47 [62.67%]
15 [20.00%]
13 [17.33%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 11 2009 at 10:47am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

dawn2006 was hoping you'd respond to her poll question. Please do comment below in the thread if you have something else to add.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

LisaR
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 11 2009 at 10:56am | IP Logged Quote LisaR

dh is out of town on Sat.'s and Sat. is spent with lots of sports activities. Sun is tempting, but we try not to exchange money on Sun. I wish I had one set weekday to do a major shop, but it tends to be a different day each week, around our schedules...

Paul 14
Thomas 11
Dominic 8
Maria Gianna 5
Isaac Vincent 9/21/10! and...
many little saints in heaven!
Back to Top View LisaR's Profile Search for other posts by LisaR

Betsy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 11 2009 at 11:03am | IP Logged Quote Betsy

I absolutely try to avoid grocery stores on Friday night and Saturday because of the crows and chaos! We try to not shop anywhere on Sundays.

I don't like to go on Mondays because the store can be a bit ransacked from the weekend.

Tuesday is the best day for us....actually my dh. He does almost all the grocery shopping!!!!

Betsy
Back to Top View Betsy's Profile Search for other posts by Betsy

LisaD
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 11 2009 at 11:04am | IP Logged Quote LisaD

I try to shop early on Saturday morning. I'm much more efficient when I can shop without the kids with me. If Saturday is impossible, I will try to go one weekday evening if dh is home from work in time.

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Feb 11 2009 at 11:11am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

LisaD wrote:
I try to shop early on Saturday morning. I'm much more efficient when I can shop without the kids with me. If Saturday is impossible, I will try to go one weekday evening if dh is home from work in time.

This is what I do...though I don't like it at all. It's just how it has worked out lately. I'm not sure when I got off my rhythm of weekday shopping, but I miss it and I think I'll make a resolution to get back to it. I used to shop on Friday mornings and then stop at the Farmer's Market across the street on the way home. It was a good routine, but it does require me to have my menu and shopping plan in place on Thursday.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 11 2009 at 11:17am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

I'm the "other" ... I've just started taking advantage of Giant's Peapod ... grocery delivery! After my first order, I have free delivery for 60 days (but even with that it's only 6.95 for delivery).

I can order online and change the order up to 12 hours before a pre-scheduled delivery (which is a 4 hour or so window). The groceries are the same I'd get if I went to the store, but I can actually check if I already have an unopened 12-pack of paper towels BEFORE buying them again !

I really like the service so far ... since I can ask for a certain time, I can be sure we're home and I don't have to go with the kiddoes in tow (always an ugly event )

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

mellyrose
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 11 2009 at 11:21am | IP Logged Quote mellyrose

I responded weekday bc that's what I've been doing lately, but when my sister isn't sick I try to shop with her on the weekend. DH works erratic hours, so I shop with the 3 kids and it's easier if I go with my sister.

We have a grocery store here that offers child care for pottytrained kids and up which is handy, but their prices are higher so I have to be careful to shop the ads only when I shop there.

Pictures of our Life
Back to Top View mellyrose's Profile Search for other posts by mellyrose

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Feb 11 2009 at 12:26pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Mary G wrote:
I've just started taking advantage of Giant's Peapod ... grocery delivery!

This is me being green with envy!

Booksnbabes
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 11 2009 at 12:26pm | IP Logged Quote Booksnbabes

Had to go other simply because there is no consistency. It happens whenever we need to do it and the travel fits in our schedule (we drive and hour and a half to Whole Foods for our major shopping). We shop locally only if we really must to make it to the next big shopping trip, or if there is a specific craving in the house.    I would say lately it's been mostly weekdays as I tend to fit it in when I go for my prenatal appointments. Some times Sunday is the only day that works, and we make it a family outing with a treat (they have gelato...yum!), but we try to avoid this.

Weekdays are easier with the kids--the store is not so crowded and they can roam a little more freely.   

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Feb 11 2009 at 12:33pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

I clicked "other" as well. As soon as my teenagers are old enough to drive, I make a detailed list and walk them carefully through Costco, Trader Joe's and Giant. Then, they go grocery shopping for me forever more.I consider this a valuable life skill for them and a serious sanity saver for me. Keeps the wee ones out of the germy store, too. Now if only I could train them to go to the craft store. Christian gets overwhelmed in there and Michael gets way too happy...

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 11 2009 at 12:39pm | IP Logged Quote Maryan

I did other:

If my dh can do it, he shops a weekday night after practice. If I'm going to do it, then I usually do it on a Saturday morning by myself. But I'm usualy just picking up a few items -- we've moved towards him doing the bulk of the grocery shopping.

I have *occasionally* shopped the big trip during the week with all the kiddoes... but only when I'm desperate and there's no way for me to do Saturday or him to do weeknight.

I do send dh with a good list... but he's better than I am now at grocery shopping. At least he doesn't come home with OJ full of pulp like I do fromy my inability to read the labels...

Although I did put in a request for frozen meals (but didn't specify what -- I meant quickie toquitoes or ravioli to survive the b-ball season) and he came home with meat... to stick in the freezer.

ETA: We don't geographically qualify for Peapod.

Back to Top View Maryan's Profile Search for other posts by Maryan

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 11 2009 at 1:21pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

I've made a habit of shopping when my dh is at work. Mainly because there have been times when he's gone so much that I have to go when he's out of town anyway at least for fresh stuff. And for the same reason.. he's gone so much, I don't want to spend the little time he's home doing things like grocery shopping.. or any other chores for that matter.

Right now my favorite shopping day is Wednesday. That's the first day of the new sales ad week. So it works well.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Red Cardigan
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 11 2009 at 1:37pm | IP Logged Quote Red Cardigan

I'm an "other."

My dh has the car during the week, so we used to shop on weekends. I hated to shop on Sunday but when gas was expensive sometimes Sunday was the only day we'd be out; in addition there are NO good stores in our area, and we had to drive about 20 minutes (not that far, really, but not convenient) to shop.

Our new parish is in a town (again, only 20 minutes away) with a great Super Wal-Mart: clean, friendly, helpful employees (I sometimes can't believe it's a Wal-Mart!) So now I try to do the big shopping, or as much of it as I can, after choir practice on Thursday nights. I take a list, the store is usually almost empty (about 9:30 p.m.), and it takes me under an hour to get everything.

The one drawback is that the deli counter is closed by the time we get there, so if we need lunch meat or cheese we have to stop in on Sunday after Mass.

But...living in Texas with terrible tasting tap water we buy bottled water, so that's a Sam's Club run, usually on Saturday sometime; if there are grocery items I need at Sam's I'll pick them up then (though many weeks we only need the water). So I probably do my "major" shopping at Sam's on a weekend once a month, and the other weeks I'm doing the "major" shopping on Thursday nights.

Sarah M
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 11 2009 at 1:39pm | IP Logged Quote Sarah M

Betsy wrote:
my dh... does almost all the grocery shopping!!!!

Mine too! Bless his heart- he doesn't mind grocery shopping a bit and I can't stand it. If it's a really busy weekend, I'll do it on a weekday morning, but it sure feels like that takes 1/2 a day with the littles in tow. So dh does it at his convenience over the weekend, usually. I just send him with a detailed list and a kiss.
Back to Top View Sarah M's Profile Search for other posts by Sarah M

trish
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 11 2009 at 1:44pm | IP Logged Quote trish

I'm an other too.

We do an organic produce and dairy coop every two weeks and I buy my bulk stuff (grains, pasta etc) once a month through another online supplier who doesn't charge me shipping because I and my friend happen to live in between his drop off points.    . My husband or my daughter pick up the few things we need during the week on their way home from work. Every once in awhile when the shopping urge takes over we go into the big city (big for me) and I go shopping.

I can't wait to get our dairy cow. I've been praying for her for 2 years. I hope she comes this year!   Then we won't have to worry about the dairy part.   

+AMDG+
Saintly Soaps

Back to Top View trish's Profile Search for other posts by trish

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 11 2009 at 2:19pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

I picked weekday--because that's when my dh does most of the shopping--every Wednesday he has a milk pickup at the local hfs. I also have a co-op pickup once a month (most drygoods, tuna, and yogurt, meat and eggs from a farm, and I get coffee and cheese delivered for it once every two months), and we got to Costco about once every two months or so. I will go to the local farm or TJs when I'm in the area for something else (or make special trips to the farm during apple season or such for a half bushel at a time).

So, I'm a super unconventional grocery shopper, but my dh doing the weekly pickup really helps!

I also had a box delivery of veggies once a week for a while. It was nice but got too expensive.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

hylabrook1
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 11 2009 at 2:22pm | IP Logged Quote hylabrook1

Now that my dc aren't littles, dh and I shop together every other Friday evening, hitting Costco and the natural foods market. Sometimes while we're out we include other brief, targeted errands -- going into WalMart with a list, for example. Otherwise we fill in with a monthly co-op order and quick trips into a variety of other grocery stores, depending which one has certain sales or which one we are near to in the course of the week.

Peace,
Nancy
Back to Top View hylabrook1's Profile Search for other posts by hylabrook1

sewcrazy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 11 2009 at 2:29pm | IP Logged Quote sewcrazy

My dh does ours also. 6 years ago I broke my leg badly, so he started doing the shopping. Then we realized that we saved money with him shopping sans children -- almost no "impulse" purchases. My dh found that he enjoys hunting for good deals. He is in Chicago twice a week and has found several organic markets that are quite reasonable.

I will run to Aldi or Walmart in a pinch during the week.

Mare
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 11 2009 at 2:42pm | IP Logged Quote Mare

I put other.

My dh usually does the grocery shopping at nights after the children are in bed.

Back to Top View Mare's Profile Search for other posts by Mare

anitamarie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 11 2009 at 4:04pm | IP Logged Quote anitamarie

I put other because I'm on a 10 day cycle for planning/shopping. So, I'll go on a Tuesday or Wednesday, then a Friday or Saturday 10 days later. Almost always without the kids, sometimes I bring one or two. DH is great about picking up something we run out of prematurely. I definitely prefer during the week to weekends though.
Back to Top View anitamarie's Profile Search for other posts by anitamarie

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version