Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
We Pray to the Lord
 4Real Forums : We Pray to the Lord
Subject Topic: Urgent prayers for Robynn's dh 2nd UPDATE Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Ruth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 17 2009 at 4:44pm | IP Logged Quote Ruth

(Medieval Mama from this forum) Robynn's husband has just been rushed to the hospital. He is being take to the ICU right now because a tree fell on him while cutting wood. He has broken ribs, a puctured kidney and a collapsed lung. She had to hang up the phone right after she called, so I don't have any more info. I'll update as soon as I hear more.

Also, she was just told this week her father has lung cancer.

Please storm heaven for John.

Update- Jan. 19th

From Robynn:

Yesterday John was cutting down trees around the property. There is a 3 trunk tree out behind the pool (one root system), and after making some calculations and planning his escape, he made the cut in one of the trunks, all three of which are about 50 feet high and approximately 18 inches in diameter. As the tree fell in precisely the desired direction, it unexpectedly snapped about eight feet up, forcing the cut end of it backwards and sideways into one of the other trunks of this tree. John could see what was about to happen, but he was too slow. The cut trunk bounced off the other one sending it into John's right shoulder blade and rib cage. He was thrown, by the grace of God, into the only clearing he could have safely landed in without sustaining further injuries. The area he was working in is thickly covered with dead branches, logs, and brush from other fallen trees. Fortunately, as far as external injuries go, he has only a small cut on his forehead, and an abrasion down his right side where the tree struck him. Unable to call for help, and realizing the danger of hypothermia he amazingly picked himself up and walked into the house. I could see as soon as we got his jacket off that his torso was deformed, the back being significantly caved in and the front protruding noticeably. He was having severe difficulty breathing and his pain was increasing rapidly. The paramedics rushed him to the local hospital where he is presently in stable condition in ICU.

He has seven broken ribs, some of them broken in several places. His lung was collapsed, and he has a chest tube to drain the blood, fluid and air around his lung, but it is working now--it was not punctured. His right kidney, still encased in the renal capsule, is otherwise pulverized. Thankfully, it is still making urine and everything is still flowing in the right direction. The Drs. are hopeful that it will heal itself, though it's too soon to tell if it is. If it doesn't then they'll have to do surgery and he could lose it. His pain from the broken ribs was excruciating for about six hours until they got an epidural in him and he's able to breathe much more eaily, now. They're also hopeful that the ribs will heal without intervention, though there's a chance he'll need surgery for that, too--something to do with blood in or around the bones--I wasn't exactly following.

Without any complications, he should get out of ICU tomorrow and be in the hospital at least until Friday. He'll need another week or two on bed rest at home for the kidney to finish healing. Somewhere around 10 days from the injury there's a chance of latent bleeding, which they'll need to do another scan to check for. The ribs will take many weeks to heal, and his activity will be determined by his ability to endure the pain. Having to sit still for that long will be at least as painful for him as the broken ribs, I'm sure!

From all of us at Schamelot, thank you for your prayers, your calls and e-mails and offers to help us through this time. I'm sure it is all your prayers that are carrying John through all the dangers surrounding him right now and insulating him and the kids and me from realizing the full impact of this accident--especially in light of what could have been--until there's time for those kinds of thoughts. God is good in the good times and He is good in the bad times. Thanks be to God!

Robynn

For some reason Robynn is not able to log in, so she asked me to post this update here.

Thank you all again for all your amazingly powerful prayers! Today John had a second CT scan and we've got all good news. Dr. Goodwin, who, by the way sounds (and even sort of looks) exactly like Billy Bob Thornton, showed me the scans, and even my untrained eye could see the improvement in his kidney. It's working as it should and the damage is healing just as we'd hoped. His right lung still has some blood and space around it keeping it from fully re-adhering to the inside of his rib cage, and there's a little bit of separation in his left lung (from going 6 hours without really being able to get a good deep breath in), but there's no cause for worry, the lungs look good and he's blowing full steam on what he refers to as his "party bong"--although John asks that you keep up the prayers (as do I!). He should be out of ICU this evening or tomorrow morning at the latest. His ribs appear to be doing what they're supposed to without any further assistance. His pain is tolerable, due to the epidural, I'm sure, and he'll be able to keep it that way at least until he comes home, hopefully still Friday. I talked to his boss this morning and his disability insurance is good to go so no worries there. The kids and I are holding up fine and we really appreciate all the offers for meals and especially help with the fire wood situation. Those of you who have ever been to Schamelot in the dead of winter know how "warm and cozy" (blistering hot!) John is accustomed to keeping it inside so if we had to revert to the heat pump, especially while he can't move about as much as he likes, he might just freeze to death after all! Thanks so much to all you guys who have already been out to help with that.

Unless there are any unexpected complications I think it's safe to assume that John's out of the woods and will be home by the weekend, and that this is the last e-mail you'll get from me on this subject. Again, thank you most of all for all the prayers--and while you're at it, please remember by Dad who was diagnosed with lung cancer last Monday. He'll be needing prayers for a much longer time than John.

May God bless all of you for your thoughtfulness and kindness. We are truly blessed to have so many loving friends and family.

Yours in Christ,
Robynn, John, Rachel, John Michael, Caroline, Robert, Justin, Caeli, McGregor and Marian

mom to 7 miracles

My family blog

Loreto Rosaries
Back to Top View Ruth's Profile Search for other posts by Ruth Visit Ruth's Homepage

trish
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 17 2009 at 4:46pm | IP Logged Quote trish

Praying for John!

+AMDG+
Saintly Soaps

Back to Top View trish's Profile Search for other posts by trish

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Jan 17 2009 at 4:49pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Oh my goodness, Ruth!! I'm praying for John and Robynn!

Lord, have mercy!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

hylabrook1
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 17 2009 at 4:54pm | IP Logged Quote hylabrook1

Praying! Ruth, please keep us updated if you could.

Peace,
Nancy
Back to Top View hylabrook1's Profile Search for other posts by hylabrook1

Hallie
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Jan 17 2009 at 5:18pm | IP Logged Quote Hallie

Praying for John, Robynn, her father, and their families!

http://hallie.wordpress.com/
Back to Top View Hallie's Profile Search for other posts by Hallie Visit Hallie's Homepage

joann10
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 17 2009 at 6:26pm | IP Logged Quote joann10

sending prayers...
Back to Top View joann10's Profile Search for other posts by joann10

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 17 2009 at 7:05pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

Praying right now.

mariB
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 17 2009 at 7:08pm | IP Logged Quote mariB

Praying for John...this is so scarey! I will keep him my intentions throughout the evening...

Back to Top View mariB's Profile Search for other posts by mariB Visit mariB's Homepage

kingvozzo
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 17 2009 at 7:20pm | IP Logged Quote kingvozzo

Oh my, praying right now!

Back to Top View kingvozzo's Profile Search for other posts by kingvozzo

Maddie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 17 2009 at 8:09pm | IP Logged Quote Maddie

O St. Joseph! Pray for this daddy!

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Jan 17 2009 at 8:27pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Praying!

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 17 2009 at 9:20pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

Praying for John!!

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

insegnante
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 17 2009 at 9:27pm | IP Logged Quote insegnante

Praying!

St. Ann
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 17 2009 at 9:43pm | IP Logged Quote St. Ann

Praying for John and Robynn and their family.

Wife and mother to Hannah '96, Maria '99, Dorothea '01, Helena '03
Back to Top View St. Ann's Profile Search for other posts by St. Ann Visit St. Ann's Homepage

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 18 2009 at 11:17pm | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

Ruth, this is awful news! We have been praying for John and will continue to do so!

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

Ruth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 19 2009 at 6:24am | IP Logged Quote Ruth

Update on original post from Robynn

mom to 7 miracles

My family blog

Loreto Rosaries
Back to Top View Ruth's Profile Search for other posts by Ruth Visit Ruth's Homepage

4 lads mom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 19 2009 at 6:51am | IP Logged Quote 4 lads mom

Unreal, I feel so bad for all of them...praying for a quick recovery!!!

crusermom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 19 2009 at 7:58am | IP Logged Quote crusermom

Praying for him here!

Mary

Army wife and Crusermom to 8 wonderful children!
Back to Top View crusermom's Profile Search for other posts by crusermom

KC in TX
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 19 2009 at 8:30am | IP Logged Quote KC in TX

Oh, my! Praying for continued recovery.

Michaela ('01)
Emma ('03)
Jordan ('05)
And, my 2 angels, Rose ('08) and Mark ('09)

The Cabbage Patch
Back to Top View KC in TX's Profile Search for other posts by KC in TX

Booksnbabes
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 19 2009 at 8:45am | IP Logged Quote Booksnbabes

A very blessed update! Continuing to pray for his recovery.

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version