Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: Kitchen Gifts Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
anniemm
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Dec 18 2008 at 2:03pm | IP Logged Quote anniemm

Angie Mc wrote:
anniemm wrote:
She can whip out 40-50 French crepes in no time and we eat them with Nutella, lime and sugar, or rum after setting it on fire! !

Tell me more, Andrea...especially about the lime and sugar, please .

Oh the lime and sugar is the best! She sprinkles the crepe with sugar and then just squeezes a bit of lime over the top and folds it into quarters. As far as the rum, she fills a spoon with rum and then holds it over a large candle until the liquor catches fire. She spreads it over the crepe while it's still on fire and then it goes out on its own. It's very dramatic, but it also tastes really good! She made us a huge batch of them when she first got here and I had NO idea what to do with them! The one thing she says that the French never do (which cracks me up!) is put fruit in them. She thought that was so strange!

Mama to four little girls (04), (05), (07), (09),& my 1st little guy 11/11
www.hiswillmypeace.com
Back to Top View anniemm's Profile Search for other posts by anniemm Visit anniemm's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Dec 22 2008 at 11:05am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

I'm chiming in so late here...and I know I'm too late for the Christmas wish list for your daughter, Cay...but we make crepes in a cast iron skillet (the large one with low sides). It has to be nicely seasoned, but it has always worked great for them. Use a long metal cake spatula (the kind used for spreading icing - Wilton makes one and you can find it in the cake decorating section in Walmart) for flipping.

They're traditional in my family and were always called "flap jacks". They're not pancakes at all though - they're crepes. We butter them lightly and sprinkle them with sugar. YUM. I make them with half whole wheat flour, half white flour. In the spring and summer we slice fresh strawberries or other fresh fruit to roll up inside. We always make flap jacks/crepes for Christmas morning breakfast!!! So yummy!

Hope you found something delightful, Cay!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version