Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: Frustration free sewing machine? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
hylabrook1
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Dec 10 2008 at 4:41pm | IP Logged Quote hylabrook1

Oh, Marilyn, I feel your pain! I think sewing machines (at least the ones I've had) were invented to refine us and make us worthy of Heaven! And Heaven might just be the only place where there are frustration free sewing machines.

Peace,
Nancy
Back to Top View hylabrook1's Profile Search for other posts by hylabrook1

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 10 2008 at 5:15pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

JennGM wrote:
How old is your Singer, Marilyn? I was in the local Costco and they had a Singer for $150 (rebate reduction).

Now I had been putting out feelers, and some tried and true seamstresses said to get a Singer, even the newer ones are reliable.

But if yours is relatively new, that throws up my theory. I was contemplating asking dh for that one. I'd so like a luxurious one, but....

Jenn - I got it for dd for Christmas 2 years ago - so it is not old.

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

violingirl
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 10 2008 at 10:41pm | IP Logged Quote violingirl

I have a Janome also, that I was given this past June. It is such a lovely machine to sew on.

My mother sews all the time now that we're all out of the house (mostly quilts) and she switched from a Bernina to a Janome a few years ago and says she will never use another machine. In fact, I think she also has a Janome serger.
Back to Top View violingirl's Profile Search for other posts by violingirl Visit violingirl's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 11 2008 at 10:30am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

From the CMSewing list I had the recommendation of signing on to Pattern Review to get reviews of Sewing machines.

The Singer 7436 from Costco had mostly fair reviews, stating that it's not a workhorse, but gets the job done when you're looking for a budget friendly machine.

I didn't look up the Janome or Brother ones.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 20 2008 at 2:57pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

What did you decide, Marilyn? I think I'm waiting to buy a better machine...birthday present for me. Advice I've received is don't go too cheap on machines, or it's just money in the trash.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 20 2008 at 6:03pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Jenn - I have not had the energy to make any decisions (I still have to get the new dishwasher and range first - we desperately need them, but I have not had the energy to go appliance shopping yet - I am hoping to go tomorrow, even though my policy is usually not to shop on a Sunday ) - I still have my blanket for ds to finish off, but we are going to try and muddle through with the Singer. Dd's friend's grandma comes and does a sewing class with dd and her friend in Jan/Feb (they are going to make a dress this year!) - I spoke to Nancy (the grandma) last week, and she told me to hold on until she could check out the machine.

The Costco Brother looks good - but if you can go for a more expensive one, save up for a Janome or a Husquie Viking - this is what I have heard anyway.

I refuse to spend hundreds of dollars unless I am sure that dd and I are actually going to use the machine regularly.

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 29 2008 at 7:43am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

MarilynW wrote:
The Costco Brother looks good - but if you can go for a more expensive one, save up for a Janome or a Husquie Viking - this is what I have heard anyway.

I refuse to spend hundreds of dollars unless I am sure that dd and I are actually going to use the machine regularly.

I've been looking at Elna, as I also heard they are good machines.

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version