Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
 4Real Forums : Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
Subject Topic: California Baby/Baby Creams Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
mathmama
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Dec 04 2008 at 12:27pm | IP Logged Quote mathmama

I love their calendula cream and their aloe vera cream. My youngest dd has extremely sensitive and dry skin plus eczema and suffered alot before I started using these creams on her. I no longer have to use any steroid creams on her. You might be able to find them cheaper online somewhere. My face is always terribly dry and red and irritated and I could never find anything that helped. I recently started using these creams on my face every day. They don't sting at all and now my face is so much better. No more dry skin, no more weird acne, and no more discomfort. Plus, I love the smell! We can never use anything with any sort of smell. They aren't perfumey (which I hate), just nice, imo.

Beth
Back to Top View mathmama's Profile Search for other posts by mathmama

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Dec 04 2008 at 5:37pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

I had this brilliant idea - I put one (of my millions) of tiny tubes of lanolin on top of the warm wipes warmer. This way it will be nice and soft and runny when I need to apply it any time.

Then, I decided to use my coconut oil instead of olive oil and alternate that with the lanolin. I tried it first and it doesn't seem to bother Katie at all. I scooped some out of my *kitchen jar* and put it in a small glass jar with a lid. I put that on top of the wipes warmer as well because right now my house is cold enough for coconut oil to be solid.

I think keeping the two skin treatments near her changing area and on the warm wipes warmer will be a help. I'm not sure how it will work out with diaper changes. The wipes warmer actually holds warm water for me to dip my tushy washcloths in for diaper changes. It might be really inconvenient to keep the lanolin and coconut oil there....

I'll have to experiment a little with placement. It may be that just keeping them near the warmer will provide enough residual heat to keep the two soft/liquid.

Thank you ladies sooooooo much for the ideas. Why didn't I think of just using lanolin and coconut oil?

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 04 2008 at 6:17pm | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

Jennifer - because when we all put our heads together - brilliant ideas are completed!!    Excellent idea with the wipes warmer -- hope it works out.

I was thinking about this while I was popping corn, and I just wanted to pop in and remind you to put a the thicker barrier (probably the lanolin in this case) on her little face before going out in the elements.

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Dec 04 2008 at 6:26pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Lisbet wrote:

I was thinking about this while I was popping corn, and I just wanted to pop in and remind you to put a the thicker barrier (probably the lanolin in this case) on her little face before going out in the elements.

Yes! And I forget this all too often when we're rushing out...or attempting to...and someone else forgot to go to the bathroom and..and..and. I really need to be more attentive to putting the lanolin on before we go out!!! Thank you soooo much for the reminder, Lisa!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

LisaR
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 04 2008 at 6:32pm | IP Logged Quote LisaR

I've had issues with kids with very sensitive skin who are prone to rubbing off whatever cream or ointment I try to apply. they they have a skin irritation on top of that; making them scratch/rub at the affected areas because it "itches"
what has worked best for us is to heavily apply after the baby/child has gone to bed/sleep.
making sure it is sufficiently warmed so that the shock of the cold does not wake them up.
I even occasionally still have to apply to my 9 y/o's cheeks/eyelids/backs of hands, and nightly for the now 6 and 3 y/o!

Paul 14
Thomas 11
Dominic 8
Maria Gianna 5
Isaac Vincent 9/21/10! and...
many little saints in heaven!
Back to Top View LisaR's Profile Search for other posts by LisaR

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 04 2008 at 10:14pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Jen - some other dry cheek options

- Badger Balm does some very good salve
- make your own salve with beeswax and olive oil and herbs. i am really thinking of doing this soon - I know Elizabeth as a great rabbit trail and has made the salves. Also I think Ruth loves her homemade salves. I may make it a Spring rabbit trail for us. For me - I would feel so relieved to be able to control the ingredients.

I checked out the range you mentioned - it looks very good. Not only is it non toxic but there is actually not a single ingredient that is classed as allergenic. Cool!

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

mary theresa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 05 2008 at 10:22am | IP Logged Quote mary theresa

MarilynW wrote:
Jen - some other dry cheek options

- Badger Balm does some very good salve

I was just going to say that I like Badger Balm products!

teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 05 2008 at 12:37pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

Great thread! We suffer around here, too. My little guy has red, dry patches on his face. They go great with all of his bruises on his forehead as he is trying to walk!

Anyway, what I have been using is Jason Vitamin E oil. It is very gentle.

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

LeeAnn
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 06 2008 at 5:40pm | IP Logged Quote LeeAnn

Another fan of Vaseline and coconut oil here! We mainly use petroleum jelly to fight eczema and chapped skin. I get terrible painful cracked skin on my fingers and vaseline is the ONLY thing that helps. I've tried Eucerin, prescription creams and organic beauty stuff, but cheap old vaseline (from the dollar store even) is what works. My 5yo who licks her lips constantly and ends up with a chapped face now has her own jar that she applies as needed. Sticky and shiny, yes, but it works.

As an aside, a friend of mine is living and working as a missionary in Mali and came to visit a couple years ago, bringing us Malian "beauty baskets." These consisted of a basket, a pouf made of tangled fishing nets and a jar of a very popular petroleum jelly scented with some kind of perfume called "Bebe et Maman."

I don't use this on my hands since they are so sensitive but my 5yo uses it on her face with no problems. In Africa, they like the shiny look, everyone uses it to give themselves beautiful skin. I use it on my face as well in the winter when my skin is very dry.

Works great and very cheap!

Coconut oil works good for general moisturizing and is pretty nonreactive, but isn't as good at providing a medium for healing. Plus, it's a lot lot lot more expensive!

Lanolin also is relatively expensive and didn't work as well for me.

Glad to find others use Vaseline liberally--I was starting to feel like that crazy dad in "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" who sprayed Windex on everything.

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Dec 06 2008 at 5:54pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

LeeAnn wrote:

Glad to find others use Vaseline liberally--I was starting to feel like that crazy dad in "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" who sprayed Windex on everything.

I absolutely love that movie!!!! You had me laughing so hard thinking of you applying vaseline everwhere!!!

So far, consistent application of the lanolin is really helping Katie, but with all you ladies singin' the praises of windex...I mean vaseline I guess I need to try that too.

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 06 2008 at 5:56pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

LeeAnn wrote:

I have to tell you my sad story - after a year of battling eczema and dry skin with every expensive and organic beauty cream - believe me - come and look at my closet - California Baby, Burts Bees, Aubrey Organics, Emu Oil, Coconut Oil, Jojoba Oil, Almond Oil, Salves, Obagi, Hylunia, Skinceuticals, Apricot Oil - as well as all the medical stuff - Eucerin, Cetaphil, Aquaphor - it has ended up that the only stuff that will work with damaged and dry skin is Vaseline!!!

My whole "healthy organic outlook" was that petroleum products were "bad for you" - but a very wise woman on this list went out on a limb and told me off - and ended up being right - when I had the patch testing, Vaseline and mineral oil were the only 2 things I was not allergic to!

I grew up in Africa - and I remember how Vaseline was the big beauty secret - used for everything from faces to hair to baby bottoms!!!

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 06 2008 at 5:59pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Mackfam wrote:
LeeAnn wrote:

I absolutely love that movie!!!! You had me laughing so hard thinking of you applying vaseline everwhere!!!

So far, consistent application of the lanolin is really helping Katie, but with all you ladies singin' the praises of windex...I mean vaseline I guess I need to try that too.

Jen - you and I are starting the "post at the same time thing again" I love that movie too - great for a good laugh.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 06 2008 at 6:13pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

MarilynW wrote:
My whole "healthy organic outlook" was that petroleum products were "bad for you" - but a very wise woman on this list went out on a limb and told me off - and ended up being right - when I had the patch testing, Vaseline and mineral oil were the only 2 things I was not allergic to!

Aw, now Marilyn, don't be too hard on me!    I'm "that woman". I'm not that wise, though. I had to learn the hard way and sometimes it takes swallowing my pride of wanting to go completely organic and natural and doing what works best for us. Families with allergies many times can't do what works for most. Hard to swallow sometimes...

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

LeeAnn
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 08 2008 at 11:41am | IP Logged Quote LeeAnn

[QUOTE=MarilynW] when I had the patch testing, Vaseline and mineral oil were the only 2 things I was not allergic to! [QUOTE]

I have to admit, I've never bought baby oil/mineral oil. What is its use? Why is it always sold as a baby product?

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version