Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: what are you making for christmas? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
hereinantwerp
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Nov 29 2008 at 1:47pm | IP Logged Quote hereinantwerp

It seems this year I'm really indicisive, or overwhelmed by options! I had glorious plans a month ago, but--! I had planned to do a doorway puppet theater and hand puppets for my kids, but I haven't had a second to sew without them around, so I don't think that is going to work this year

I have started knitting a scarf for my husband in Cal Bears colors, and--being a very new knitter, this is my 3rd project--I'm afraid this might take a lot of time. But I am loving knitting, and how I can do it while we watch a family movie, or while talking with others, etc.

I have also been collecting wool sweaters from thrift shops and felting them, and I hope to do something with those. I just have to lay them out and see how much I've got and where the colors lead . . . I found this wonderful book from the library, warm fuzzies. But my little girl asked for a teddy bear last night, so maybe I'll try and make a simple one!

With the kids I'm tentatively planning: little walnut baby Jesus ornaments, making some kind of "christmas village" out of little milk cartons, pine cones, etc., and maybe the kind of magnets out of glass circles like Dawn had on her website last year for grandparents.

Mother to Simon (13), Calvin (9), and Lyddie Rose (3)

my blog: live and learn
Back to Top View hereinantwerp's Profile Search for other posts by hereinantwerp Visit hereinantwerp's Homepage

LucyP
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 29 2008 at 2:11pm | IP Logged Quote LucyP

I'm making a doorway puppet theatre too! It is probably going to end up being an ephiphany giftthough,to spread the excitement. And...wrist warmers for my mil, sil and niece, and slate "black boards" for my sisters, and a hat for dh, and a yarnholder for my mum, assuming I can create the pattern that I have been dreaming up. And hopefully knitting some dolly clothes too. Time permitting!
Back to Top View LucyP's Profile Search for other posts by LucyP

Tina
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 29 2008 at 3:30pm | IP Logged Quote Tina

I had/have such high hopes for a handmade Christmas this year. I'm going to do what I can, but I know I won't get to everything, and I really don't want it to stress me out. Here's the only thing I've even started. It's felt play food, and actually most of what I've created so far is for my niece's birthday. So I am way behind. I laid out my plans here. But like you said, Angela, I'm a bit overwhelmed, too.

I love the idea of a doorway puppet theater! I'd love to jump on that one, but my list is already so long (and unrealistic), that anything else will have to wait until next year. Maybe for once I'll create Christmas gifts all year long. I've always admired people who do that.

Anyone here create Christmas gifts all year?

Back to Top View Tina's Profile Search for other posts by Tina Visit Tina's Homepage

mellyrose
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 29 2008 at 3:37pm | IP Logged Quote mellyrose

I'm making rice packs for my kids. My boys like to sleep with ice packs (don't ask . . . I don't know why) so I'm going to make some larger rice packs (the ones I have now are small and meant for small bumps/bruises) and cases for them in fun fabrics.

I also have a cloth book to sew for L. I bought the fabric for Colin . . . and it's been sitting in a box ever since. I really need to sew it up this year.

Pictures of our Life
Back to Top View mellyrose's Profile Search for other posts by mellyrose

mathmama
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 29 2008 at 6:16pm | IP Logged Quote mathmama

I am making nightgowns for my girls. And some tablecloths and napkins. My nephew will be getting some playsilks for his birthday which is 2 weeks after Christmas.

Beth
Back to Top View mathmama's Profile Search for other posts by mathmama

KackyK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 29 2008 at 9:21pm | IP Logged Quote KackyK

Questions -
1-Tina...You are Tina...I just got that...I'm so excited! I'm so slow. Anyways, where are you getting your food ideas/designs, they are WAY cool. I love that you sew them by hand (I'm terrible with a machine).

2-Melanie, again I'm slow...what is a rice pack? Sounds intriguing!

Mom to 8 - 3 dd, 5ds & 4 babes in heaven

Beginning With the Assumption
Back to Top View KackyK's Profile Search for other posts by KackyK Visit KackyK's Homepage

Tina
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 30 2008 at 11:57pm | IP Logged Quote Tina

Hi, Kacky! I figured out it was you a little while ago, but never seem to see you in person to ask you about it .

I got most of my ideas for the felt food from Etsy. There are some amazingly talented women selling felt food on there. Some of it looks so intricate and difficult for an amateur like me, but some of it looked pretty basic.

It seemed to me, too, that an important part of it, is choosing realistic colors for the food you are creating. I also decided to try it for myself since felt is so inexpensive. I figured, if I mess up, it's only 20 cents a sheet .

I also got ideas from just searching "felt food" on google and google blogsearch. Lots of inspiring pictures out there.

Many people on Etsy sell patterns, too. If I were taking on some of the more detailed stuff, I would have to use a pattern. But, frankly, I don't like patterns. I like to "wing it". My girls aren't picky and so far they have liked what I've made, especially dd6 who is getting some for Christmas.

And, Melanie, I too, am curious. What is a rice pack?

Back to Top View Tina's Profile Search for other posts by Tina Visit Tina's Homepage

mellyrose
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 01 2008 at 12:04am | IP Logged Quote mellyrose

Tina wrote:

And, Melanie, I too, am curious. What is a rice pack?

I make a cloth bag and fill it with rice and seal it up. I usually use plain cotton and make them different sizes, sew that up tight, and then make a case in a "fun" fabric or fleece that can be removed and washed if needed. I make them different shapes and sizes -- some are square and good for a bumped knee, others are rectangle and are good for putting over eyes or forehead.

I throw them in the freezer and we use them for bumps/bruises/headaches and also for cooling off in bed. You can also warm them up in the microwave, but we use ours almost exclusively from the freezer.

The ones we have are getting old, though, so I need to make up some new ones.

Pictures of our Life
Back to Top View mellyrose's Profile Search for other posts by mellyrose

DominaCaeli
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 01 2008 at 3:25pm | IP Logged Quote DominaCaeli

I'm trying to do a mostly handmade Christmas too...

For my two 2yo's: I've already made them both toddler-sized messenger bags, a set of bean bags, and some letter and number tiles out of foam board squares. I'm working on felt lap boards and shapes for them to share. I'm also making them each a stuffed monkey (my son's is done, my daughter's isn't yet). They're getting wooden bead chaplets in their Saint Nicholas stockings too.

I made purses/tote bags for my mom, grandma, SILs, and MIL.

I'm doing homemade energy bars for my parents and BIL (they're all runners), and photo calendars for my both sets of my grandparents.

And I'm hoping to make some fingerless gloves for my iPhone-loving younger brother.

There are some really great ideas already in this post for future gifts--I need to add them to a list for next year!

Mommy to six: three boys (8, 4, newborn) and four girls (7, 5, 2, and 1)
Back to Top View DominaCaeli's Profile Search for other posts by DominaCaeli

Cici
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 01 2008 at 3:35pm | IP Logged Quote Cici

Tina wrote:
... since felt is so inexpensive. I figured, if I mess up, it's only 20 cents a sheet

While the 20 cent/sheet felt might work out - most of what you see on etsy is made from wool felt. or a 60/40 70/30 blen of wool rayon.

if you're not allergic, its wonderful, and you'll never want to touch the acrylic stuff again.

it can be purchased at Paper Scissors Stone and Magic Cabin carries 100% wool felt.

I'm sure others carry it as well, but that's what a quick search found.

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 01 2008 at 5:07pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

DD-17 has made 5 aprons so far. This will go to my closest friends who like to cook. I'm making a bunch (15 or so oven mitts and/or potholders) -- don't know yet who these are going to. For everyone else on our list we're making baked goodies and other food items (hot choc mix with homemade marshmallows, green papaya chutney, a super-hot vinegar) as usual. And then I'm going to try and finish up a doll for the soon-to-be-7-yo that we started in the summer.

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

Kristie 4
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 01 2008 at 6:05pm | IP Logged Quote Kristie 4

Too many things

A robe for my ds's 6 and 13
Duvet covers for ds8 and dd11
Slippers for hubbie
Marker rollups for nieces
Pillowcase for nephew
Granola for other relatives
Calenders for parents and brother
Mitts for all kids for St. Nicholos day stockings

Done so far....
mitts (all but final touches and last pair)
calenders (went off to the printers today)
the beginnings of a rollup

Lots still to do....

Stef: How do you make you hot. choc. mix and vinegar?

A Walk in the Woods

Back to Top View Kristie 4's Profile Search for other posts by Kristie 4 Visit Kristie 4's Homepage

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 01 2008 at 6:49pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

Kristie 4 wrote:

Stef: How do you make you hot. choc. mix and vinegar?

This is embarrassing.   

Last year, I made it a Math problem for the kids to figure out. The bad news is I didn't keep a copy of the final figures, so now we have to do it all over again! When we get to it, I'll post the recipe here.

The vinegar is simple, but takes time. It's actually Filipino "sinamak": apple cider vinegar + peeled and halved garlic cloves + lots of hot peppers. Some people like adding salt and/or gingerroot, but I didn't. I actually made these last year, but the garlic first takes on a blue hue and then browns (more info on blue garlic). I bottle them in French soda bottles -- we buy the cheap $1+ French soda (we don't normally store soda in the house, so this was a treat for the kids) that comes in the pretty bottle with the hermetic seal. (If I bought the bottles they'd be $4 or so each.) I use a combination of finger peppers and Thai hot peppers.

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

Courtney
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 01 2008 at 7:22pm | IP Logged Quote Courtney

This year I'm making them each a pillow case (a friend made them each a satin pillow case years ago...I'm replacing it now). I'm also painting each of them a canvas to hang in their room (similar to the ones in Pottery Barn, but much cheaper!). My dd's will have a big flower on it and her name and will be the colors of her room. Ds's will have the boy scout symbol.

The biggest thing I'm making which I need to get moving on is a book of stories for each of them. They love for me to tell them stories each night when they go to bed. I usually tell them stories from when I was young, or stories about them when they were babies. I think they each especially want their own birth story included. They made a list of all the stories they want me to type up and put into a book format. I bought two scrapbooks and lots of scrapbooking paper. I think for now, I'm going to work on getting the stories down and not worry so much about how well I enhance each of the pages. That's is so far. Boy, do I have to get busy!

Back to Top View Courtney's Profile Search for other posts by Courtney

KackyK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 01 2008 at 7:24pm | IP Logged Quote KackyK

Okay...I make nothing and I am so happy to be reading this thread!!!

I know it's too late for me this year (already bought everything ). But I am so keeping this list for next year (and will begin soon after this Christmas, ha!)

Ladies, please tell us when you have pictures on your blogs...I would love to see the finished products. You guys should so be proud of yourselves. I'm impressed and inspired!!! I hope something rubs off on to me!

Mom to 8 - 3 dd, 5ds & 4 babes in heaven

Beginning With the Assumption
Back to Top View KackyK's Profile Search for other posts by KackyK Visit KackyK's Homepage

mrsgranola
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 01 2008 at 9:41pm | IP Logged Quote mrsgranola

I would love to see what you ladies are making, too!

I was hoping to make some pillowcases for the boys with some fishing theme flannel I purchased. I must get busy! I've got some cut out but not sewn together doll gowns to work on, too. (They've been waiting to be sewn together for years! )

I also am going to make some little sewn projects for the dance teachers, CCD teachers and piano teacher gift baskets. i.e. small tissue packet holder, decorative pin cushions, hot cocoa mixes, etc. I also purchased some pretty little angel statues to include in those gift baskets, too, from a dollar store.

OH and I did make a nice family calendar for 2009 to give my folks and dh. I used some of the best photos from last year and included all the cousins and couples' birthdates. I"m pretty happy with that project although I haven't received the finished product yet.

JoAnna

mavmama
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 01 2008 at 10:23pm | IP Logged Quote mavmama

So far, I've gotten these done:
3 sets of 2 knitted dish clothes and a trivet
3 scarves

Left to do:
2 Christmas/piano recital dresses for dds
robe for dd
flannel shirts for dd
ambulance driver suit(his words)aka; scrubs, for ds
cowboy suit for ds
something??? for piano teacher, Tae Kwon Do professor
pumpkin bread for neighbors, paperboy, trash collectors

Wish I had time for:
hand knit socks for dh

But, I'm feeling good tonight since I just ordered online for family back home--only 1 shipping fee--Yippee!

Back to Top View mavmama's Profile Search for other posts by mavmama

hereinantwerp
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 05 2008 at 1:52pm | IP Logged Quote hereinantwerp

really enjoyed reading all the ideas here , thanks for sharing!

I think I've settled on knitted cotton washcloths for each family, with some nice hand soap. I'm just into knitting right now (just learning!) and this is letting me learn new stitches in a very practical way! Also the peaches and cream yarn is quite budget-friendly, which I need this year! ANyway I seem mostly motivated to do this knitting thing so, I'm going with it.

For my kids my mom just called me last night and said that despite the fact her (large) budget for each child was spent, she just bought my daughter a beautiful german made doll (!), and some extra things for the boys------so I think the kids will be well-provided for !! My dreams of a simple, handmade christmas never seem to work out, BUT I did request several things they could actually use!

PS I watched the Tasha Tudor Christmas video, "Take peace" today, and very much enjoyed myself, though my kids said, BORRRR-ING!

Mother to Simon (13), Calvin (9), and Lyddie Rose (3)

my blog: live and learn
Back to Top View hereinantwerp's Profile Search for other posts by hereinantwerp Visit hereinantwerp's Homepage

asplendidtime
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 08 2008 at 11:12am | IP Logged Quote asplendidtime

I make crocheted toys for my dc every year, stuffed animals ,Play Food , Toys I start these usually in July, and keep working until December, and I have a great stash by the time Christmas comes, my dc LOVE these!

Here is another Baby items , Children's items , How tos

Mary 14,
Tim 13,
Jonah 12,
Josh 10,
Zoe 9,
Will 7,
Peter 6,
Laura-Mae 4,
Emily-Joy 2,
Genevieve & Gabriella 1
Back to Top View asplendidtime's Profile Search for other posts by asplendidtime Visit asplendidtime's Homepage

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 08 2008 at 12:30pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

stefoodie wrote:
DD-17 has made 5 aprons so far. This will go to my closest friends who like to cook. I'm making a bunch (15 or so oven mitts and/or potholders) -- don't know yet who these are going to. For everyone else on our list we're making baked goodies and other food items (hot choc mix with homemade marshmallows, green papaya chutney, a super-hot vinegar) as usual. And then I'm going to try and finish up a doll for the soon-to-be-7-yo that we started in the summer.

Stef - please would you share your homemade marshmallow recipe?

Thanks!

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version