Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: Thanksgiving, what's on your menu? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Nov 26 2008 at 2:19pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Carole N. wrote:
My ds loves the pie, my dd the cheesecake, so he gets his choice this year!

Here's a combo for you - our guests are bringing a pumpkin cheesecake pie. It sounds yummy and I'm excited to try it.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

missionfamily
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 26 2008 at 8:10pm | IP Logged Quote missionfamily

Shrimp and Acorn Squash Casserole:

Halve and seed 3 large acron squash.
Bake facedown in shallow pan with a bit of water for about 30 minutes, until tender.

Sautee 1 lb. peeled and deveined shrimp with 1 medium onion and 2 cloves garlic minced and 1 stick butter.

Remove squash from thick shell and add to sauteed shrimp. Mix thoroughly. Mix in bread crumbs or crumbled Ritz crackers until mixture is stuffing consistency.

Place back in acron squash shells or in 9 X 13 baking dish. Top with bread crumbs or crumbled Ritz, pats of butter and bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes.

I use this recipe all the time, with eggplant, mirleton, and any squash. Sometimes I double up the thickener (bread crumbs) and serve it as a dip. It always gets rave reviews, and is really quite simple.

AND--My nausea is waning and I'm so enjoying being a diva in my kitchen tonight. Gosh, I missed cooking.

Footprints on the Fridge
Back to Top View missionfamily's Profile Search for other posts by missionfamily Visit missionfamily's Homepage

MarieA
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 26 2008 at 9:21pm | IP Logged Quote MarieA

Turkey
Stuffing
sweet potatoes
roasted potatoes
spinach with garlic and olive oil
baked beans
home made cranberry orange relish
gnocchi
rolls
apple pie
pumpkin pie
homemade cookies

Happy Thanksgiving!

Marie
Back to Top View MarieA's Profile Search for other posts by MarieA

Tina
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 26 2008 at 10:34pm | IP Logged Quote Tina

My dd12 is helping me this year so I let her choose what she wants to make:

turkey breast
gravy ~from a jar
stuffing ~from a box
scalloped potatoes ~my grandma's recipe (dd12)
crescent rolls (dd9 or dd6 will probably want to help make these)
corn
green side salad (dd12 or me)

appetizer ~ velveeta and salsa dip with chips (dd12)

pumpkin pie ~Mrs. Smith's
chocolate pie ~ I will actually make this homemade .

Soda (which we rarely have in the house, so the children are excited)

Now that I look at it, our menu is a bit of a hodgepodge of items, but it's what we like.

Hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Back to Top View Tina's Profile Search for other posts by Tina Visit Tina's Homepage

LeeAnn
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 26 2008 at 11:51pm | IP Logged Quote LeeAnn

Well, I've ended up with quite a list of things to bring, considering we're eating at my mom's. We didn't consult enough and nothing, other than the mashed potatoes (I hope!), that she's making is gluten-free, which means half my family can't eat it. I'm considering just making up our plates at home and bringing them to re-heat at her house, since it would be a heck of a lot less trouble!

Anyhow, tomorrow morning I'm making....

Turkey (probably just a breast)
Gravy
Yams with Pecan topping
Green Beans with Bacon
Rolls (maybe, if I have time)
Pumpkin Cheesecake
Apple Crisp
...all gluten-free.

Happy Thanksgiving all!

I am especially thankful that I remembered today to ask my mom whether she was stuffing her turkey--she is--otherwise I would have arrived tomorrow with no turkey to my plate!

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 27 2008 at 12:29pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

LeeAnn wrote:
Well, I've ended up with quite a list of things to bring, considering we're eating at my mom's. We didn't consult enough and nothing, other than the mashed potatoes (I hope!), that she's making is gluten-free, which means half my family can't eat it. I'm considering just making up our plates at home and bringing them to re-heat at her house, since it would be a heck of a lot less trouble!

Anyhow, tomorrow morning I'm making....

Turkey (probably just a breast)
Gravy
Yams with Pecan topping
Green Beans with Bacon
Rolls (maybe, if I have time)
Pumpkin Cheesecake
Apple Crisp
...all gluten-free.

Happy Thanksgiving all!

I am especially thankful that I remembered today to ask my mom whether she was stuffing her turkey--she is--otherwise I would have arrived tomorrow with no turkey to my plate!

I'm so sorry! But your menu sounds delicious!

I remember my first Thanksgiving with food allergy diagnosis with my son (and I was nursing). There was nothing I could eat at my mil's and I just cried and cried. There were mistaken ideas that if the food wasn't "touching" (like the breast isn't touching the stuffing) then there's no problem.

Since then my family on both sides are really helpful in trying to make as much allergy free as the main course. We do wild rice dressing instead of bread stuffing for the turkey, safe margarine instead of butter, and lots of other adjustments.

I made an apple crisp for my son, and then two regular apple pies. I hope the crisp turned out.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

LeeAnn
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 27 2008 at 10:37pm | IP Logged Quote LeeAnn

Well, it turned out OK. Sorry if it sounded like I was whining. (Probably was!) We ended up getting a pre-cooked turkey breast from the grocery store deli to save time. (Big "Thank You!" to my hubby for going to the store for me last night.)

My mom was really apologetic and sort of upset with me for not being proactive about modifying the menu with her. But honestly, Thanksgiving has not been the top of my priority list lately (daughter's surgery Monday). Anyhow, next year maybe I can help her make her stuffing from scratch with gf bread rather than normal stuffing from a box.

The pumpkin cheese cake turned out great (thanks Paula Deen!), the apple crisp so-so. My 8yo really liked it but I think next year I would add cranberries or craisins to it, just for some color and tartness. I mixed some oats, brown sugar and spices with butter and spooned that on top of apple pie filling. I ended up making cornbread from scratch (duh, the recipe is right on the cornmeal bag, why didn't I ever notice that before? really easy) and Gluten-Free Girl's gravy and bacon green beans (really yum!).

The weirdest thing is that we were having Thanksgiving with my family but hardly sharing our dishes with each other. I ate my mom's mashed potatoes and she ate my yams, but that was it. Guess I need to work harder on coordinating the menu with her.

However, we did have a nice time. The girls had a little piano recital for great-grandmother and auntie and they had a great time visiting. Hope you all had a great Thanksgiving!

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 28 2008 at 7:18am | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

Colleen, your shrimp recipe looks awesome!

We host Thanksgiving every year, which is why I missed this thread until the day after. 16 kids, 10 adults, 3 tables. It takes two turkeys to feed everyone so my mom and I each got free range turkeys for the first time ever. They came from a lady in my homeschool group. Totally worth it.

We made a recipe from Bon Appetit this year that was to die for, but here's the recipe I want to share (also lovely for Christmas). I make this every year. Its a slightly modified version of a recipe that appeared in Bon Appetit in the early 90's.

Apple Cranberry Pie

crust (truth be told, I cheat on this part, but you need more than 2 crusts)

1 c. fresh cranberries
1 1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp cloves
1/4 tsp allspice
5 T flour
3 lbs of a variety of baking apples that are local to you
(this year I used grannies, jonagolds, and braeburns)
1 c plus 2 T sugar
1/2 c. dried currants

Position rack in lowest third of oven and preheat to 375. Coarsely chop cranberries with sugar and spices in food processor. Transfer mixture to a large bowl. Add apples, currants, flour and toss well. Add to a deep dish pie shell. Here's the cool part. For Tgiving, I take a leaf shaped cookie cutter to 1 1/2 sheets of pie crust and quickly score stems on them. Then they get scattered on the top of the pie in lieu of a lattice top. You could use a star cookie cutter for Christmas. Brush with egg. Bake for 45 minutes, then cover with foil and bake again for 35 minutes or until done. Let cool for awhile and then eat with vanilla ice cream.

Soooooooooooo good.

~Books

mothering ds'93 dd'97 dd'99 dd'02 ds'05 ds'07 and due 9/10
Back to Top View Bookswithtea's Profile Search for other posts by Bookswithtea

donnalynn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 28 2008 at 1:11pm | IP Logged Quote donnalynn

Our Thanksgiving went very well.

Our only trouble spot was dh's gravy scorched a bit in the pan - he also tried a roasting method where you start the turkey breast down and then you flip it part way through. But what he didn't know is this was assuming you are using a "V" shaped rack - he didn't and the skin of the breast stuck to the bottom of the pan.    He was not happy. But it still tasted good and we never present the whole bird at the table anyway.

Very thankful this year for many things but all of you are way up on my list!

missionfamily
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 28 2008 at 1:50pm | IP Logged Quote missionfamily

Just in case you were tempted by that recipe, Shrimp and Acorn Squash casserole was the hit of the Thanksgiving feast....so rich and buttery with the crumbled Ritz crackers...my dh refused to share the leftovers with the children .

Footprints on the Fridge
Back to Top View missionfamily's Profile Search for other posts by missionfamily Visit missionfamily's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version