Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Black Friday Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Sarah M
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Nov 26 2008 at 6:10pm | IP Logged Quote Sarah M

I'd rather get my teeth pulled than go anywhere near a store on Black Friday. Shopping on the busiest day of the year amidst thousands of frantic power-shoppers? Pure misery.
Back to Top View Sarah M's Profile Search for other posts by Sarah M

Anneof 5
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 26 2008 at 8:37pm | IP Logged Quote Anneof 5

I have done it some years, other years not. It depends on what I am looking for and I am not usually that organized! It has really driven me crazy to see the groups of ladies wearing matching Christmas themed sweatshirts carrying their clipboards, moving through the stores in an orderly fashion. Yikes!!!
It really depends how I feel as I am hosting Thanksgiving once again and I am usually exhausted.I would rather pay more than have to deal with the crowds and craziness.
Anne
Back to Top View Anneof 5's Profile Search for other posts by Anneof 5

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 26 2008 at 10:38pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Anneof 5 wrote:
It has really driven me crazy to see the groups of ladies wearing matching Christmas themed sweatshirts carrying their clipboards, moving through the stores in an orderly fashion. Yikes!!!

I've never witnessed anything like that. Makes me want to get up and go shopping to see the spectacle.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

missionfamily
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 26 2008 at 11:06pm | IP Logged Quote missionfamily

I don't go out on Black Friday...but I will sit beside the fire with my tea and laptop and shop for a few clothing items for the boys and dh...it's the same sales on-line but without the Christmas Sweater Crazies .

Footprints on the Fridge
Back to Top View missionfamily's Profile Search for other posts by missionfamily Visit missionfamily's Homepage

LisaD
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 27 2008 at 10:30am | IP Logged Quote LisaD

I don't even look at the ads--they go straight into the recycling bin! I may do some online shopping if I have some quiet time, otherwise I will be visiting with my parents and enjoying my family.

Nedra in So. CA
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Nov 27 2008 at 11:09am | IP Logged Quote Nedra in So. CA

n/a
Back to Top View Nedra in So. CA's Profile Search for other posts by Nedra in So. CA

Dawnie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 27 2008 at 10:12pm | IP Logged Quote Dawnie

I went one year and I don't think I'll ever do it again.

I kinda think my sleep is worth more than saving some $$$$.

I talked about this with some family members this afternoon, and I think that our Christmas budget isn't really big enough to make fighting the crowds worthwhile (for me, anyway). If we were spending more money and buying bigger ticket items, it might be a better investment of my time.

The best Black Friday I've ever had was the one 2 years ago, which I spent in the hospital nursing my brand new baby.    She was born at 12:44am that morning. Ah, now that was a GREAT Black Friday!!!

Dawn

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 28 2008 at 7:03am | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

Nedra in So. CA wrote:
Definitely do. Absolutely love all of the crowds.

My husband has a definite agenda when we go. Not me. I just love the people.

Nedra in So. CA
HSing mom of 5; 18, 14, 10, and 3 yr. old twins

I was just thinking of you while reading this thread. My mom and her dh are venturing out on Black Friday for the first time ever. I am looking forward to hearing what its like. I've never been before. Have fun today!

~Books

mothering ds'93 dd'97 dd'99 dd'02 ds'05 ds'07 and due 9/10
Back to Top View Bookswithtea's Profile Search for other posts by Bookswithtea

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 28 2008 at 7:05am | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

JennGM wrote:
Anneof 5 wrote:
It has really driven me crazy to see the groups of ladies wearing matching Christmas themed sweatshirts carrying their clipboards, moving through the stores in an orderly fashion. Yikes!!!

I've never witnessed anything like that. Makes me want to get up and go shopping to see the spectacle.

Jenn, thats exactly what I was thinking after reading Anne's comment! Do they really do this???

~Books

Cheryl
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 28 2008 at 7:42am | IP Logged Quote Cheryl

I went two years ago to Kohl's to look for a coat to wear with skirts. I had my dd, who was under one at the time with me. When I saw the check-out line wrapping around the store, I went home right away. I finally bought a coat this year ONLINE.

My father goes out every year around 5 or 6 a.m. One year, he and my brother were in the local paper (with a nice picture) in a Black Friday shopping article. I think he really likes the money savings and he enjoys shopping in general.

Back to Top View Cheryl's Profile Search for other posts by Cheryl Visit Cheryl's Homepage

Anneof 5
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 28 2008 at 12:39pm | IP Logged Quote Anneof 5

Hey, I went out for a while this morning (8 am) and this year the ladies I saw shopping at Target were wearing matching black bowling shirts embroidered with "It's a Girl Thing" on the back. I didn't see the Christmas themed ones this time. Maybe they are cutting back and making them "all purpose" for any time of year! Or maybe I just wasn't early enough for some of them. No great deals but I had fun going out for coffee with my big kids.
Anne
Back to Top View Anneof 5's Profile Search for other posts by Anneof 5

donnalynn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 28 2008 at 1:54pm | IP Logged Quote donnalynn

My dh told me about this - so senseless.   

I am home - staying that way all weekend (except for Mass)- smelling the turkey stock bubble away!

chrisv664
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 28 2008 at 5:43pm | IP Logged Quote chrisv664

donnalynn wrote:
My dh told me about this - so senseless.   

That horrific incident took place in the mall I frequented in my younger days! I was shocked to read about it. I can only hope that incidents such as this give us, as a country , pause to reflect on our consumerism and lack of respect for human life!

Burning The Candle At Both Ends
Back to Top View chrisv664's Profile Search for other posts by chrisv664 Visit chrisv664's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 28 2008 at 11:01pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

So sad..

I cam to tell about my Black Friday shopping..

My sister got here at 6:30am and we went to the driveup coffee shop and she got a shot of espresso to boost her homemade coffee and I got a cup of hot chocolate. Then we drove to the store and parked right by the door, first ones there, and sat and drank our hot drinks and chatted until the store opened at 7.. actually it opened about 7 minutes early We got out of the car when we saw her unlocking the door.. and calmly walked with the the other 8 people there. Got my sis's dvd player on sale and then went and looked at the remote control dragonflies. Did a bit more shopping around and then went to the register.. the only person I had to wait in line behind was my sister

Then we quickly went another store and quickly got my window weather stripping (fun huh?) and a replacment roaster oven.. my died just before Thanksgiving.

And then she brought me home and went on to work.

It was pretty nice except for losing the hour and a half of sleep I would normally get otherwise.

I love teeny tiny towns

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

LeeAnn
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 29 2008 at 12:17am | IP Logged Quote LeeAnn

I went once, two years ago, with my aunt and cousins who are famous (in the family, at least) for ALWAYS going. I think we went to Fred Meyer's first (at 4:30 or 5 am) for 50% off socks and then some place called Sav-A-Lot and one other. Finally we hit a Starbuck's and went home for breakfast by 8 a.m. or so. I only ended up buying some baby boy clothes since I was expecting our first son back then. I usually buy my gifts for our kids online.

Today I went out to Target around 2 pm to buy gifts for our parish's giving tree, jeans and tops for my 8yo's birthday next week and some trinkets and chocolates for St. Nicholas Day and Christmas eve. Target has these really adorable little Lindt chocolate angels, five to a package for $3, each about as big as your little finger.

My brother in San Diego went to Kohl's today and said the line wrapped around the store! I did see some crazy ladies at Target today, wearing Christmas sweatshirts no less, but the check lines were short and speedy.

I am pretty much done shopping.

Nedra in So. CA
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Nov 29 2008 at 9:03am | IP Logged Quote Nedra in So. CA

n/a
Back to Top View Nedra in So. CA's Profile Search for other posts by Nedra in So. CA

mellyrose
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 29 2008 at 1:12pm | IP Logged Quote mellyrose

My sister and I usually go out, and we did again yesterday. We don't head out until around 11AM, though.

Hit K-Mart and got a raincheck for the Rock Em Sock Em Robots. I knew they'd go quick, but I also knew they offer rainchecks.

Hit Big Lots and missed out on the giggling Cookie Monster. Oh, well!

Hit Wal-Mart and got a hand mixer for my sister.

Hit Mervyn's and bought toys for extended family members on discount bc they're going out of business, not because it was Black Friday. And, if you have one in your area that is going out of business, WATCH the prices carefully. It is very obvious that they've marked things up in order to mark them back down, which I think is such a scam. I was looking for the items I did purchase, and know I got a good deal -- but was annoyed by the number of things obviously inflated before their "mark downs"

Hit Target and bought a few things, but nothing that was on the ad I think -- just things I had on my list anyway.

We didn't wait in a line with more than 2 people ahead of us all day. It was fun hanging out with my sister and shopping w/o the kids!

Pictures of our Life
Back to Top View mellyrose's Profile Search for other posts by mellyrose

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 29 2008 at 5:35pm | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

OK, so you all who do black Friday regularly, was it as busy as usual in your area? I'm just curious, with the economy and all...

~Books

Nedra in So. CA
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Nov 29 2008 at 7:44pm | IP Logged Quote Nedra in So. CA

n/a

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 29 2008 at 7:51pm | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

Nedra in So. CA wrote:

I am curious if it looks different in other areas of the country.

I made a quick run into Michael's around 6:30pm of Black Friday and it didn't look much different than a normal Friday evening, to me. I looked into most of the parking on the way and there were a few more cars than normal, but I wouldn't have called it swamped. Does Black Friday wind down at night???

~Books

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version