Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: A peek into your Christmas stockings... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Dec 02 2008 at 8:10pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

mary theresa wrote:

Aww! This is so cute!    And sounds so lovely too!

Ditto. This just touched my heart, Laura -- thanks for sharing. I think I'd like to start this tradition with hubby -- sounds sooo romantic -- first we have to get stockings :D -- we only have stockings for the kids!

And I had to google those -- Nyokki, smencils, Flatsy... wow, I'm so clueless.   

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 03 2008 at 10:50am | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

That does sound like such a neat idea. My dh would be flabbergasted if I brought out a special stocking for him after all the festivities.

I could fill his up with special food treats and he'd be thrilled.

Any other ideas for hubby stocking stuffers?

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

Tina
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 03 2008 at 1:12pm | IP Logged Quote Tina

We had smencils in all of our dd's shoes on St. Nicholaus day last year along with gum and gold coins and few other little things. They used them all school year and they're still around here somewhere.

One word of caution on dollar store silly string. We bought some for dd12's 11th bd party. It was awful. It stained the walls and was sporatically runny. It also smelled bad, too. A strong chemical smell. It might have just been a bad batch or maybe it was old, but I won't chance it anymore. It was too hard to clean up, and I've never had a problem with the real Silly String.

For St. Nicholas Day, we do the shoes....gold chocolate coins, cozy slipper socks, gum and one or two other small items. Then usually something big together like a DVD or somthing similar. One year we gave them a Playmobil Nativity set and they still look forward to it being brought out every year.

BTW, I'm still looking for the Little People Nativity for my two year old. Anyone know where I can find one?

In the stockings my children will get any combination of candy, gum, a beanie baby, hair accessories for the girls, little cars for my son, gum, hairbrush and toothbrush, new pencils and crayons, socks and little plastic sets (I think they are called toobs?) I used to love getting a stocking as a child. I saved it for the end, so I could take my time going through it.

I love the idea of exchanging stockings alone with my hubby. What a great idea!

Back to Top View Tina's Profile Search for other posts by Tina Visit Tina's Homepage

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: Dec 06 2008 at 1:09am | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

Tina wrote:
BTW, I'm still looking for the Little People Nativity for my two year old. Anyone know where I can find one?

Tina,
I absolutely love our Little People Nativity set. I just took ours out this morning and my 2yo is so happy to play with it. She is noticing all the Christmas decorations out at stores and in the neighborhood. And has been asking questions about it all, since she has no memory of last Christmas. It's wonderful when it's all so new. Anyway, I love the way the toy nativity allows her to learn about and focus on the real meaning of Christmas amidst all the rest of the showy stuff.

I saw one the other day at Walmart. It even had a few extra pieces that my set does not have.

I just put it together today that you are in my area. If you cannot find a set, pm me because we actually have an extra one (new in the box) that was given to one of the girls a year or two ago. I'd be willing to sell it.

mary theresa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 06 2008 at 3:01pm | IP Logged Quote mary theresa

SeaStar wrote:

Maybe "coupons" for certain things that he likes -- like a 20 minute back rub, or a favorite meal that you never cook, or a movie that HE picks, or . . . there are lots of other fun things you could make coupons for . . .

I think I'm going to put a paperback book in my husband's stocking too (he wants the Bourne Identity)

hmmmm . . . I'm hoping someone else will have some ideas too.

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 08 2008 at 9:34am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

mary theresa wrote:
SeaStar wrote:

Maybe "coupons" for certain things that he likes -- like a 20 minute back rub, or a favorite meal that you never cook, or a movie that HE picks, or . . . there are lots of other fun things you could make coupons for . . .

I think I'm going to put a paperback book in my husband's stocking too (he wants the Bourne Identity)

hmmmm . . . I'm hoping someone else will have some ideas too.

I found fresh olives at the local farm and bought some for dh's stocking and then forgot to do it and gave them to him yesterday. Anyway, my dh loves olives and making things like sauerkraut; so, I thought he would like to try his hand at marinating olives. Not really universal, I guess, but it was a nice thought for us.

My mother gave my dh a real nutcracker years ago--so, I've also considered whole, mixed nuts to crack and eat. We used to get those a lot in our stockings. The nutcracker with the nuts could be fun if you don't already have one. Its kind of like a tool. I wish I understood the tools and things dh needs/wants better. Bits for drills, routers, etc... would make wonderful stocking stuffers.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

asplendidtime
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 08 2008 at 11:25am | IP Logged Quote asplendidtime

We do "shoes" on St Nicholas Day, stockings at Christmas.

For stockings we do give Candy, action type figures, socks, underpants, etc.... Besides books, and toys which I crochet, I can't sneak any pics on here, maybe I could sneak them on my blog after the dc are in bed. If anyone cared to see them.

For dh's stocking I bought:

-- 2 Ravi Zaccharias Books(He is a Christian Apologist who answers atheists in universities--We love his program-Let My People Think),
--3 "Pick Jesus" guitar pics,
--3 kinds of chocolate,
--5 packs of socks--(good ones-his socks are awful),
--sonic toothbrush (braun),
--a Detroit Red Wings thingy you stick in the place you put your trailer hitch,
--a field guide for Alberta (for hunting/fishing)

For under the tree:
--binoculars he can use for hunting or astronomy ( I chickened out of getting him a telescope)
--Fishermen's Jacket
--Braun electric shaver
--a handsome man sweater

Mary 14,
Tim 13,
Jonah 12,
Josh 10,
Zoe 9,
Will 7,
Peter 6,
Laura-Mae 4,
Emily-Joy 2,
Genevieve & Gabriella 1
Back to Top View asplendidtime's Profile Search for other posts by asplendidtime Visit asplendidtime's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version