Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: Sports Challenged ds. Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
LisaR
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Nov 18 2008 at 9:45pm | IP Logged Quote LisaR

Matilda wrote:

Let me also just say that my husband has taken over this aspect of our son's education and we have seen so many wonderful fruits of this endeavor.

yes!

Paul 14
Thomas 11
Dominic 8
Maria Gianna 5
Isaac Vincent 9/21/10! and...
many little saints in heaven!
Back to Top View LisaR's Profile Search for other posts by LisaR

Betsy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 19 2008 at 7:35am | IP Logged Quote Betsy

Here is another idea that might not be available everywhere or very cost prohibitive, but I will throw it out anyway.

I took up rock climbing during college until I got married. It was a old boyfriend that got my into it. He also hadn't had a lot of success in team athletics, however when he discovered rock climbing it really changed his athletic mentality.

I know were I use to live (MI) their were clubs. I climbed in doors and out doors...but I never made it to CO or the likes to do some really neat climbs.

I guess my only point to this is keep him involved enough to that when the "right" activity comes along he will have enough background/ability to pursue it. Also, think outside the box...with this same friend he took up mountain biking/back packing/winter camping/cross country skiing in college too. I wouldn't consider these sports in the strict sense, but you do need athletic stamina and strength. As was mentioned before, any of these would be great for Dad to spear head and do with your son or even as a family.

Betsy
Back to Top View Betsy's Profile Search for other posts by Betsy

LisaR
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 19 2008 at 7:37am | IP Logged Quote LisaR

Everyone's a climber here but mom!! But in flat IL, the boys and dad travel to a friend's converted silo, or to a climbing gym, about 45 mi. away. so it is not practical on a regular basis for us, but really enjoyable for all!
they have been able to borrow most equipment when they do a climb, and three of them have been trained as belayers through Scouts.
great suggestion Betsy!!

Paul 14
Thomas 11
Dominic 8
Maria Gianna 5

Betsy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 19 2008 at 7:41am | IP Logged Quote Betsy

Another comment about Dad helping...

I like for my kids to wait for teams sports until they are 7 or 8. However, my DH has been "practicing" with them since they were 3. My children love sports but they love this time with my DH as well. I guess for me it's similar to me wanting to read picture books to my kids for good quality time....my DH wants to throw the ball around or go to a batting cage. This time together has really developed a love of sports AND close relationship with my boys.

Betsy
Back to Top View Betsy's Profile Search for other posts by Betsy

donnalynn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 19 2008 at 4:37pm | IP Logged Quote donnalynn

+
Back to Top View donnalynn's Profile Search for other posts by donnalynn

Natalia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 19 2008 at 6:19pm | IP Logged Quote Natalia

donnalynn wrote:
Natalia -

I think some kind of "fitness" activity is important but I don't think it has to be sports.

I agree with you. I don't care if he doesn't participate in organized sports. What bothers me is that by not participating in informal situations, he is cutting himself off from other boys.

Quote:
About the co-op situation - are the "sports" played during "free-time"? If so I would make sure all the children are behaving well - even in homeschool situations there are times when the parents are otherwise occupied and things can happen that we would hope wouldn't. Especially when there are many parents around - it almost seems like the children wind up being supervised less. And if it is "free-time" then your son should be able choose how he spends it.

It is during free time. As far as I can tell nothing had ever happened as far as kids misbehaving. He hasn't tried to join in from day one. You made me think when you said that "it is free time and he should be allowed to choose how to spend it." I find myself nagging him about joining in. I want so badly for him to fit in and to enjoy himself. This might be one of those cases that it bothers the mother more than it bothers the child.   

Quote:
I guess I'm saying you might want to decide how important this is in the context of your own family culture - for some, sports will be a central factor - for others, it really isn't a huge consideration. If it weren't for this coop situation, would this be an issue for you or son?

Sports are not a huge part of our life. My dh played some sports growing up but invested more time in music than in sports. I never played a thing. The more I think about it (thank ladies for helping me articulate and clarify this things to myself) I think for me as a mother the issue is deeper than the sports. I worry because he doesn't have good social skills. I worry because he hasn't found a friend to do things with. I worry because his level of activity is low. I worry because, if I let him to himself I don't think he would do anything but read (don't get me wrong I LOVE for him to read). He is not self motivated. He doesn't initiate things on his own. I was hoping that the practice of a sport (or as you said, some kind of fitness activity), that the discipline would help him.

Maybe a program like scouts, as someone suggested, would be a better idea since it might address some of the character issues.

Quote:
You might also casually play some backyard family games - boce ball, croquet, badmitton, etc..all these games will help build coordination.

This is a good idea as it is praying to his guardian angel.

Thanks for making me think.

Back to Top View Natalia's Profile Search for other posts by Natalia

Natalia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 19 2008 at 6:23pm | IP Logged Quote Natalia

LisaR wrote:
Matilda wrote:

Let me also just say that my husband has taken over this aspect of our son's education and we have seen so many wonderful fruits of this endeavor.

yes!

I know this would be the ideal. It is difficult for my dh to be involved in a consistent way. His job is very demanding and unpredictable. Frequently, whenever we had planned something, or he has planned something his job ruins everything I do think we are overdue for a conversation about this issue.

Back to Top View Natalia's Profile Search for other posts by Natalia

LisaR
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 19 2008 at 6:29pm | IP Logged Quote LisaR

Natalia wrote:
It is difficult for my dh to be involved in a consistent way. .

I hear you!! Dh works out of town 10 hour Sat's, and so he has missed SO MUCH. (in fact oftentimes when we join in a new sport/activity, people have assumed I was a single mom )
It is hard. Somehow dh has made other ways to work with the kids/participate, and I for one count a Sunday afternoon game as "recreation" and rejoice that dh can cheer his boys on!!
It must be very frustrating to have his schedule be so inconsistent, and disappointing!

Paul 14
Thomas 11
Dominic 8
Maria Gianna 5

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version