Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: Help me pick a middle name? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Dawnie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Nov 13 2008 at 8:40pm | IP Logged Quote Dawnie

Rachel,

No, we haven't really considered Alicia...I'm rather stuck on Alice!

Dawn

juststartn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 13 2008 at 9:44pm | IP Logged Quote juststartn

Well, I thought I'd throw it out there. Besides, I've got the whole "a" ending thing going so far (I do vowels, too--I've got a long "e" and two "a"s so far, lol).

I like Alice. But we've been going thru the whole vowel ending thing for a while now. We've still go Julia, Amelia, and Lucy still on the list, lol...

GL finding a middle name. I know it can be hard...

Rachel

Sophia 4/19/04
John 5/7/07
David 5/7/07
Ava Maria, in the arms of Jesus, 9/5/08
Back to Top View juststartn's Profile Search for other posts by juststartn

nissag
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 14 2008 at 7:22am | IP Logged Quote nissag

Dawnie wrote:
ooo, how do you pronounce Mireille? I sure do like the way it looks!

Dawn

It's a little like Mee-RAY. Not a great French phonetic pronuncation...

I absolutely love it. And of course, it goes nicely with our last name - Gadbois.

Blessings,

At Home With the Gadbois Family

Back to Top View nissag's Profile Search for other posts by nissag Visit nissag's Homepage

missionfamily
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 14 2008 at 8:25am | IP Logged Quote missionfamily

One of my closest friends in high school was named Mireille...I LOVE it. Everyone called her Mimi, but I called her by her name, because I couldn't get enough of saying it. She's now a principal for the Houston ballet company. Maybe it breeds grace and beauty, just the way it sounds....

Footprints on the Fridge
Back to Top View missionfamily's Profile Search for other posts by missionfamily Visit missionfamily's Homepage

nissag
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 14 2008 at 8:43am | IP Logged Quote nissag

Oh how wonderful! My little Sophie is quite a dancer, too. But she's only 3 .

Beware that if you choose Mireille, you'll have to teach people to pronounce it properly.

My (French Canadian) sister-in-law pronounces it Ma-RELL , and my own mother has a penchant for nicknames. Sophie's is "Murray". Sheesh.

But I still LOVE it.

Blessings,

Back to Top View nissag's Profile Search for other posts by nissag Visit nissag's Homepage

juststartn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 14 2008 at 3:40pm | IP Logged Quote juststartn

Okay--is it "meer-e-elle"? Just have to check...

I like that name, too...

Rachel

Sophia 4/19/04
John 5/7/07
David 5/7/07

juststartn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 14 2008 at 3:42pm | IP Logged Quote juststartn

Ok, now I read up and realize you had already explained that...lol. What I get for not reading "up"...

Rachel

Sophia 4/19/04
John 5/7/07
David 5/7/07

Dawnie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 15 2008 at 9:41pm | IP Logged Quote Dawnie

Alice Mirielle...sigh...that is so, so pretty. Even prettier now that I know how to pronounce it!   

I'll try it out on dh when he gets home! Wish me luck!

Dawn

SueW
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Nov 17 2008 at 10:11am | IP Logged Quote SueW

Dawnie wrote:

I REALLY like Alice Marie. Dh doesn't like the middle name so much. So, I'm trying to think of other middle names to pitch to him. Here's the thing: it has to be a Marian name. All our girls have a name the is a reference to Our Lady. Our oldest is Mary Elizabeth, then Anna Rose (after Our Lady, the Mystical Rose, then Lucia Grace (after Our Lady of Grace), then Clara Joy (after Our Lady, Cause of Our Joy).

Help me out...any suggestions?

Thanks!

What a coincidence; three of my daughters have the EXACT same middle names as yours! We have Mary Rose, Elizabeth Grace, and Magdalene Joy.
Our 4th daughter is Susanna Lily.
So... you simply MUST consider the name "Lily" for a middle name ;)] But.. not sure if 'Alice Lily' flows real well....? Alice Marie is beautiful. I like Alice Victoria too for Our Lady of Victory....
Have fun deciding!
~Sue

Back to Top View SueW's Profile Search for other posts by SueW

nissag
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 18 2008 at 7:07am | IP Logged Quote nissag

So how did the pitch go, Dawnie? I've been thinking of you over the weekend.

Blessings,

Syncletica
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 19 2008 at 10:12pm | IP Logged Quote Syncletica

This may not flow very well, but Marana is a version of Mary, too. I used that name for one of my 'spiritually adopted children who are in the danger of abortion'. I thought it was pretty.
Back to Top View Syncletica's Profile Search for other posts by Syncletica Visit Syncletica's Homepage

Dawnie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 20 2008 at 7:08pm | IP Logged Quote Dawnie

nissag wrote:
So how did the pitch go, Dawnie? I've been thinking of you over the weekend.

Blessings,

Bah! He didn't like it!    Can you believe it???

I've decided to just keep a list of the fantastic middle names everyone has suggested and just wait until the baby is born to name her.

Once he sees her, he'll see the light and think Alice is a wonderful name.   

Or, we'll compromise with a totally different name!

Thanks so much for all the beautiful name suggestions!

Dawn

nissag
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 21 2008 at 3:21pm | IP Logged Quote nissag

LOL! Sometimes naming babies is tough. Even with the long list of baby names I love hanging perpetually on my fridge, I still struggle at times choosing one.

At least you won't be doing what my parents did... My name was literally "Girl" for 3 whole days. The nurses were preparing mum's discharge papers and told the folks that they really did need to choose a real name. So they put some slips of paper into daddy's hat and pulled out my first and middle names... Sheesh. When people asked me now how I got my name, I just tell them that my guardian angel chose it.

And there's only one of me. Can you imagine them going through that several more times?   Heaven only knows what my siblings would have been called. Suppose the tag came off dad's hat? I might have had a little brother called "Hand Wash Only" .

I know that you will find the perfect name for your little one. Some babies just need to name themselves when you see them.

Blessings,

juststartn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 21 2008 at 7:16pm | IP Logged Quote juststartn

LOL--we've gotten to where I make up a list of all the name combinations I love. I give it to DH. He marks out the ones he doesn't like. He circles the ones he likes (fortunately, our tastes are similar)....and then we get the short list. And we fiddle around with it, roll them around on our tongues for a while, maybe ask the dc what they think....

But I've figured out the formula. We have a two syllable, blandish last name. So the first name (for girls) ends in a vowel, and is fairly short. The middle name is the long one...

So, we've got a Lily Katharine, a Helena Ardith (she was going to be Helena Elizabeth, but we had a death in the family), a Sophia Charlotte, our wee one we lost in September is named Ava Maria (a name I know DH wouldn't have let me use in this life, but I wanted to use anyway)...the rest of the list still remaining (the holdovers from every list we've made) are Julia Margaret, Amelia Therese, Lucy Claire, and Cecilia/Celia Margaret....

GL! And I look forward to hearing what you all come up with!

Rachel

Sophia 4/19/04
John 5/7/07
David 5/7/07

Dawnie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 24 2008 at 7:29am | IP Logged Quote Dawnie

nissag wrote:
At least you won't be doing what my parents did... My name was literally "Girl" for 3 whole days. The nurses were preparing mum's discharge papers and told the folks that they really did need to choose a real name. So they put some slips of paper into daddy's hat and pulled out my first and middle names... Sheesh. When people asked me now how I got my name, I just tell them that my guardian angel chose it.

And there's only one of me. Can you imagine them going through that several more times?   Heaven only knows what my siblings would have been called. Suppose the tag came off dad's hat? I might have had a little brother called "Hand Wash Only" .

Gosh, I hope we won't have to resort to pulling names out of a hat!!

Although, I think your guardian angel did a great job, Nissa.   

And Rachel, how clever to come up with a formula! I love all your girl names...they are so, so pretty.

When I started this thread, I thought that dh just wanted to find a middle name he really liked to go with Alice.   He's since told me that he really doesn't like the name Alice very much. It reminds him too much of the maid on the TV show The Brady Bunch.    I'm still hoping he'll change his mind when he sees the baby, but we've started talking about other girl names. At least we've got an awesome list of Marian names now to go with whatever we choose!

Dawn

Betsy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 24 2008 at 4:17pm | IP Logged Quote Betsy

Dawnie wrote:

When I started this thread, I thought that dh just wanted to find a middle name he really liked to go with Alice.   He's since told me that he really doesn't like the name Alice very much. It reminds him too much of the maid on the TV show The Brady Bunch.    I'm still hoping he'll change his mind when he sees the baby, but we've started talking about other girl names. At least we've got an awesome list of Marian names now to go with whatever we choose!

Dawn

Ya know, when I named my oldest Gregory I got the same Brady Bunch comments. But, since then I don't think one person had mentioned/thought of it. So...don't let that deter you.

Betsy
Back to Top View Betsy's Profile Search for other posts by Betsy

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version