Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: Dinnerware for a big family Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Anne Marie M
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 01 2005 at 2:59pm | IP Logged Quote Anne Marie M

julia s. wrote:
Just a word about those "unbreakable" dinnerware -- they still can break. I don't know how, but we've broken two plates

Julia,

You're right! I should have been more specific: I want plates that break into several large pieces (like my melamine plates) and not hundreds of sharp pieces (like my Corelle).

Anne Marie
Back to Top View Anne Marie M's Profile Search for other posts by Anne Marie M

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 01 2005 at 4:19pm | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

Anne Marie M wrote:
You're right! I should have been more specific: I want plates that break into several large pieces (like my melamine plates) and not hundreds of sharp pieces (like my Corelle).
Anne Marie

LOL! OK I get it. No I don't have a tile floor, I have linoleum so no mine don't shatter.

But I ordered the set from JC Penney anyway.

God bless!

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

cswini
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: March 02 2005 at 10:34am | IP Logged Quote cswini

Oxyiclean is a laundry additive that cleans and whitens without bleach, so its safe for colors. I buy it by the big tub at Sam's club for about 14.00 (U.S.), though I've seen it at Wal-mart and Walgreens, too. I put a small scoop in with about everything, and it gets virtually all stains out. If the stain doesn't go on the first try, I soak it overnight in an ice cream bucket and a full scoop. I have even gotten out old stains on hand-me-downs this way, and it's great for carpets. As for dishware, I buy mine at a local restaurant supply store by the case, so I can always replace pieces that chip or break. The stuff is fairly cheap that way and industrial strength, so it seems to last.
   Catherine S., husband to Joe, mom to Ben '86, Laura '88, Samantha, '89, Jessica '92, Max '02 & Julia '04

chicken lady
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 02 2005 at 6:48pm | IP Logged Quote chicken lady

Elizabeth when you go to a fabric store make sure you get 55/60" fabric. I understand you don't sew, however this is how I get all my different seasonal table settings. I also make cloth napkins to match, and these are simple fast and make lovely christmas gifts!

As for dinner ware we don't have any plastic, I'm a sucker for beautiful dishes, thankfully I live very near the Fiesta plant, and I have loads of different colored dishes. if they break, they are very inexpesive to replace.

Back to Top View chicken lady's Profile Search for other posts by chicken lady Visit chicken lady's Homepage

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 04 2005 at 12:37am | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

jdostalik wrote:
I already ordered the 100 piece Penny's set on Friday! I am excited to get it!

I picked mine up today. We unpacked it, loaded the dishwasher and used it for dinner. The table looked so nice with everything matching!

I love the cups because they are large like mugs but sit nicely on a saucer. The cereal bowls are a bit small but overall I feel like it was a really good deal for the money. There are 16 cups/mugs and 12 of everything else. And it's not as white as it looks in the picture, more of an off-white...which is still very nice.

God bless!

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

Molly Smith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 05 2005 at 10:01am | IP Logged Quote Molly Smith

I have a huge favor to ask Michele, or anyone else who has received their dishes from Penneys. Would you mind measuring the volume of the soup bowls and fruit bowls? This is by far the best deal I've found anywhere, but it's all hinging on the bowls for me now . Thanks!!

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 05 2005 at 11:16am | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

Molly Smith wrote:
I have a huge favor to ask Michele, or anyone else who has received their dishes from Penneys. Would you mind measuring the volume of the soup bowls and fruit bowls?

Sure Molly, though I don't consider this a huge favor. . .maybe I would if you asked me to mail you the bowls so you could see them.

The cereal bowls are 10 oz. and the salad/fruit bowls are 12oz.

God bless!

MEBarrett
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 05 2005 at 12:05pm | IP Logged Quote MEBarrett

I received my new dishes on Wednesday. It took forever to unpack it all but it was such a satisfying thing to do. I cleaned out the kitchen cabinets and packed up a bunch of stiff to go to Salvation Army. I got it all out of the house right away (flylady would be proud ) and now my dish cupboards look so nice and neat.

The dishes are really nice. Pretty and sturdy, like restaurant china.

I think it is great that I found this sale, posted a little notice and so many people were able to get nice dishes. I also feel better that I am not the only one whose dishes were in such a state.

Tales from the Bonny Blue House
O Night Divine
Back to Top View MEBarrett's Profile Search for other posts by MEBarrett Visit MEBarrett's Homepage

jdostalik
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 05 2005 at 12:21pm | IP Logged Quote jdostalik

Hi Mary Ellen and Michele!

I got my dishes on Wednesday, too...They sat in my front room for two days and finally dd and I unpacked them yesterday. I ran them through the dishwasher and now I need to move out the old and make way for the new! As soon as the baby nurses to sleep for her nap, I hope I can get the cabinets all cleaned out and pretty like yours, Mary Ellen!   

And I agree with you Michele!   The cereal bowls are a little small..but the size is perfect for the youngers who never finish their cereal anyway--and I love the scalloped edges! They also are a great size for dips and raw veggies.. Oh, and the teacups are the perfect size--more like mugs but really pretty...

I can't wait to eat on them!

Thanks Mary Ellen for the great tip!!!

Let the Little Ones Come

Back to Top View jdostalik's Profile Search for other posts by jdostalik Visit jdostalik's Homepage

Molly Smith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 07 2005 at 5:02am | IP Logged Quote Molly Smith

Thanks for measuring, Michele. I did order the dishes yesterday, and a big set of flatware, too. Now, what I'm going to do with 35 tea spoons, I'll never know! But at least I know I'll be able to get rid of my mix-and-match flatware and I won't have to replace tea spoons for a decade or so!

Mamatoabunch
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: March 08 2005 at 10:20pm | IP Logged Quote Mamatoabunch

I ordered the dishes too. I LOVE them. Packed the old cruddy plastic/mismatched stuff. Awesome! It is so pleasing to have a pretty table set w/ everything matching. Now I need new flatware!

lmrook
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: March 14 2005 at 11:52pm | IP Logged Quote lmrook

Try www.tablecothdesigns.com for table cloths. I've orderd several in purple, rose, green, blue and white over the years to keep the liturgical seasons. I especially like the polyester that "feels" like cotton. They are pretty heavy duty. If you take them right out of the dryer, they do not need ironing.

I just recieved new dishes for Christmas last year (2003), or I would have jumped at the chance for the deal at JCPenneys. It sounds like a great deal!

Back to Top View lmrook's Profile Search for other posts by lmrook

Molly Smith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 15 2005 at 3:52am | IP Logged Quote Molly Smith

My dishes came late yesterday and I haven't had a chance to open them--it's killing me! I'd do it now, but it's not worth waking the gang .

Annabelle, I ordered a flatware set from Penneys at the same time as the dishes. It's backordered, but it's a service for 12 plus loads of extras to include 24 extra tea spoons! It was only $40. I couldn't pass that up. I've had mix-and-match for so long that I figured I'd may as well just do a clean sweep!

momtomany
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 15 2005 at 9:10am | IP Logged Quote momtomany

Okay, we've got the new dishes and flatware. And ideas for inexpensive tablecloths. Now what about placemats? I love cloth ones that I can throw in the washer along with the tablecloths. But since I need lots at a time, 11 if everyone is home, are there any good ideas for inexpensive or easy to make ones? I'm kind of tired of my mismatched ones. I am basically sewing challenged, but I'm willing to try.

MEBarrett
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 15 2005 at 10:37am | IP Logged Quote MEBarrett

You can make them easier with a serger. Just cut to size and serge the edges. I have found them for as little as .99 at Walmart, TJMaxx and Marshalls. We also have a store called Maces which is a close-out store which has them on occasion. Big Lots too. I found a nice Waverly tablecloth at Big Lots for $8.

O Night Divine
Back to Top View MEBarrett's Profile Search for other posts by MEBarrett Visit MEBarrett's Homepage

momtomany
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 15 2005 at 1:34pm | IP Logged Quote momtomany

Okay. what's a serger? I told you I was very challenged when it comes to sewing!

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 15 2005 at 1:41pm | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

momtomany wrote:
Okay. what's a serger? I told you I was very challenged when it comes to sewing!

Oh Mary Ann a serger is a wonderful machine! I LOVE my serger. Here's a picture of one... and here's what they do. They cut and stitch at the same time. They are very easy to use and very fast.

God bless!

Courtney
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 15 2005 at 1:50pm | IP Logged Quote Courtney

I have a sewing machine I absolutely love...a bernina . My neighbor just gave ne an Elna serger that she didn't want. When would you use a serger vs. a machine? Is it mainly sewing on knits? I tried to access what they do in your post Michele, but it didn't come up. Thank you! Courtney in Texas
Back to Top View Courtney's Profile Search for other posts by Courtney

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 15 2005 at 2:02pm | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

Courtney wrote:
I have a sewing machine I absolutely love...a bernina . My neighbor just gave ne an Elna serger that she didn't want. When would you use a serger vs. a machine? Is it mainly sewing on knits? I tried to access what they do in your post Michele, but it didn't come up. Thank you! Courtney in Texas

Hi Courtney. Try this link instead. I use my serger for knits yes but also to trim and overlock the edges of anything I am making. Things last longer because the seams don't fray as easily and it also gives it a really nice look. My serger and my sewing machine are set up side by side so I can easily go from one to another.

God bless!

MEBarrett
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 15 2005 at 6:39pm | IP Logged Quote MEBarrett

I do not have a serger (yet) so I just use the zig zag stitch to finish my seams. It works ok (not great) the serger gives a much more professional and finished edge to a garment and it would make home sewing (tablecloths, place mats, slipcovers, etc..) much easier.

Michelle and I had a long sewing "coversation" on the MO list back in January. She was so helpful and inspiring that I have made a skirt for myself, a bunch of hats for the kids and two skirts for my daughter since. I set up a little sewing corner for myself in the laundry room and in the evenings I sit and sew away.

I am now working on some summer nightgowns for the girls.

O Night Divine

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version