Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: Dinnerware for a big family Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
MEBarrett
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 25 2005 at 10:54am | IP Logged Quote MEBarrett

I was shopping for new flatware (where do teaspoons go? ) and I came across a great deal on a dinnerware set at JCPenney

Click here to get a great deal on a 100 piece dinnerware set

Now, let's see if I learned to post a link correctly.

Tales from the Bonny Blue House
O Night Divine
Back to Top View MEBarrett's Profile Search for other posts by MEBarrett Visit MEBarrett's Homepage

dhbrug
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 25 2005 at 11:04am | IP Logged Quote dhbrug

Thanks for the link.

Does anyone actually use napkin rings?
Also, we don't have much call for cups and saucers as folks around here go for mugs.
But it looks like a good deal. We are pretty used to families with mismatched plates and dinnerware. Having everything the same sounds pretty odd.

Regards

David
Back to Top View dhbrug's Profile Search for other posts by dhbrug Visit dhbrug's Homepage

momtomany
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 26 2005 at 7:59pm | IP Logged Quote momtomany

MEBarrett wrote:

I(where do teaspoons go? )

I always wind up buying extra teaspoons! Either at Sam's or Walmart. I don't know where they go either!!

We use napkin rings sometimes, because we always use cloth napkins. Actually some of our "cloth" napkins are dark green and dark blue washcloths. They look great with our kitchen colors and are so handy for the inevitable spills!

MEBarrett
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 27 2005 at 8:25am | IP Logged Quote MEBarrett

momtomany wrote:

Actually some of our "cloth" napkins are dark green and dark blue washcloths. They look great with our kitchen colors and are so handy for the inevitable spills!

That is a GREAT IDEA! I am going to do that!

O Night Divine
Back to Top View MEBarrett's Profile Search for other posts by MEBarrett Visit MEBarrett's Homepage

Anne Marie M
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 27 2005 at 4:05pm | IP Logged Quote Anne Marie M

Can anyone recommend a source for unbreakable (melamine, etc.) dinnerware? We have a tile floor, and I'm not ready to go to all stoneware just yet (maybe in a few more years. . .). I have some old Rubbermaid plates from Wal-Mart, but     
Wal-Mart has quit selling them. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Anne Marie
Back to Top View Anne Marie M's Profile Search for other posts by Anne Marie M

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Feb 27 2005 at 4:09pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

I LOVE tableware Can some recommend a good source for wash and wear tablecloths and napkins? Remember, the tablecloths must be BIG! And I would prefer not to iron

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

Bridget
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 27 2005 at 4:36pm | IP Logged Quote Bridget

Elizabeth wrote:
I LOVE tableware Can some recommend a good source for wash and wear tablecloths and napkins? Remember, the tablecloths must be BIG! And I would prefer not to iron

Where do banquet halls and rental companies get their linens? Surely they don't iron.

Back to Top View Bridget's Profile Search for other posts by Bridget Visit Bridget's Homepage

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 27 2005 at 6:25pm | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

Elizabeth wrote:

JoAnn Fabrics, Hancock Fabrics...any fabric store.

OK, I know you don't sew but go to a fabric store and find something you like in a poly (fabric content will be one the end of the bolt, ask a clerk if you need help). It will wash well and not need ironing. To get it large enough check in the home decor section. You can "finish" the edges with fabric glue.

This is what I use on my table and it's quite large as you know.

God bless!

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 27 2005 at 6:38pm | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

Anne Marie M wrote:
Can anyone recommend a source for unbreakable (melamine, etc.) dinnerware? We have a tile floor, and I'm not ready to go to all stoneware just yet (maybe in a few more years. . .). I have some old Rubbermaid plates from Wal-Mart, but     

Corelle! There were Corelle dishes left here when we bought this house and just tody my dh said how he would like to get more. We haven't had one break yet!

God Bless!

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Feb 27 2005 at 6:46pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Mary Ellen,
Target had some cute melamine tableware in very cheery springlike colors.

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: Feb 27 2005 at 10:43pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

MicheleQ wrote:

Corelle! There were Corelle dishes left here when we bought this house and just tody my dh said how he would like to get more. We haven't had one break yet!

Hi Michelle!
I love Corelle. I had some hand me down Corelle when I was single, and we still use the remnants of it. I think I only have 7--enough for one for each of us. I also have a larger set of Pfalzgraff stoneware. But that is no longer a complete set due to breakage. I must admit that I am seriously considering ordering that large JC Penney dinnerware set because we are in need of more that actually match. It would be so nice to have 12 of everything.

BUT, I also am tempted to buy more Corelle. I prefer to use them for dinner around here. I don't worry about the little ones breaking them as I do with the Pfalzgraff. And they are great for microwaving.

Molly Smith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 28 2005 at 5:12am | IP Logged Quote Molly Smith

I'm seriously considering the Penney's set also. I mentioned it to my mom yesterday and she pulled out a $10 Penney's coupon that can be used online with sale items! Did anyone get it yet? I'm wondering how it looks in "real life". Anyway, I've been wanting white dishes for awhile now because then I can get more creative with table coverings and serving dishes.

We currently use a Pfalzgraff set, but it is so heavy! We haven't broken any, but I don't like using them. I'm not exactly sure what melamine is, but I'm assuming it's plastic? We have a plastic set of what I call "summer deck" dishes that we use almost every day year round . They're smaller and lighter than the Pfalzgraff and just seem more practical. But, they're old and ugly .

Blessings,

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Feb 28 2005 at 7:31am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

I think you are right aobut the white, Molly. I'm thinking about switching to all white for all of our towels too. They look fresh and crisp and can always be soaked in Oxyclean to brighten if necessary.

I will check the fabric store, Michele (we have a nice GStreet fabrics nearby.) And I can handle sewing hems on a a tablecloth and reading bolt labels. Sewing curtains and pillows and dressup costumes doesn't intimidate me the way sewing clothing does. I can't seem to look at a flat tissue paper pattern and see how it can become a three dimensional item of clothing that I wouldn't be embarrassed to wear. But I've always had trouble with spatial relations...can't figure out what size container for the leftovers or how to arrange furniture in a room the best way either. I love color and fabric and texture, though. And I'm very into setting a pretty table!

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 28 2005 at 9:49am | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

Elizabeth wrote:
I will check the fabric store, Michele (we have a nice GStreet fabrics nearby.)

Oh GStreet <sigh> . . . I'm jealous.

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 28 2005 at 10:27am | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

teachingmom wrote:
I also have a larger set of Pfalzgraff stoneware. But that is no longer a complete set due to breakage. I must admit that I am seriously considering ordering that large JC Penney dinnerware set because we are in need of more that actually match. It would be so nice to have 12 of everything.

BUT, I also am tempted to buy more Corelle. I prefer to use them for dinner around here.

I hate Pfalzgraff. Well not really. It's lovely but it breaks and chips so easily. I had my own set when we got married...there's not one plate or cup left. I have my mom's old set and it's all chipped.

I tried to order the JC Penney set (you are all SUCH a bad influence ) but kept getting an error message.

FYI if you do order you can use the coupon code BREEZY for $5 off and if you have it shipped to a local JC Penney store the shipping will be less.

God bless!

MEBarrett
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 28 2005 at 1:30pm | IP Logged Quote MEBarrett

Elizabeth wrote:
Mary Ellen,
Target had some cute melamine tableware in very cheery springlike colors.

I love Target! It is probably a good thing that I don't get there too often, I would spend way too much money. Their home decor section is nice and mostly very affordable.

O Night Divine

jdostalik
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 28 2005 at 2:36pm | IP Logged Quote jdostalik

I already ordered the 100 piece Penny's set on Friday! I am excited to get it! I have some blue willow china but it's dwindling,,, I paid $12 in shipping I wish I'd known about shipping it to my Penny's store and the $5 coupon you mentioned, Michele! A savvy mom on the MO list said if you enter "COOKFEB" when you buy it at jcpenney.com online, you get free shipping!

Let the Little Ones Come

Back to Top View jdostalik's Profile Search for other posts by jdostalik Visit jdostalik's Homepage

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: Feb 28 2005 at 3:05pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

Elizabeth wrote:
I'm thinking about switching to all white for all of our towels too. They look fresh and crisp and can always be soaked in Oxyclean to brighten if necessary.

What is Oxyclean? This is the second time in two days that this has been mentioned. I had never heard of it before.   A good friend called yesterday with a horrible story of how her dog had gotten his toenail caught on something and it pulled completely off. He then proceeded to run around the entire house in pain with a profusely bleeding toe. She was in the shower at the time.    She said that her house looked like the scene of a murder, and she had been afraid that she would need to replace all of her carpet. Someone at the school where she teadches had just done a science fair project on comparing carpet cleaning products. Oxyclean was recommended, so she ran out and bought some. She said it was almost miraculous how it cleaned up all that blood. You wouldn't even know what happened now. So, is this the same stuff you mentioned, Elizabeth? Is it some sort of all purpose cleaner that can be used on carpets and in laundry? I'm ready to buy it next time I'm out.

Anne Marie M
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 01 2005 at 8:27am | IP Logged Quote Anne Marie M

MicheleQ wrote:

Corelle! There were Corelle dishes left here when we bought this house and just today my dh said how he would like to get more. We haven't had one break yet!

Michele,

What kind of floor do you have? We have some old Corelle dishes, and when they hit our tile floor, they shatter and fly all directions. . . and we're cleaning up for at least a half hour. These were my husband's dishes from college, so maybe their age (25 yrs) is the problem.

Also, for those of you who have bought bright plates from Target: do the colors hold up under repeated runs through the dishwasher?

Thanks,

Anne Marie
Back to Top View Anne Marie M's Profile Search for other posts by Anne Marie M

julia s.
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 01 2005 at 9:04am | IP Logged Quote julia s.

Just a word about those "unbreakable" dinnerware -- they still can break. I don't know how, but we've broken two plates -- of course ours are very old, my husband got them while he was in college probably close to twenty years ago (wow that's a long time where did it go? --oh yeah kids, hsing, living loving ) .

Anne Marie M wrote:

Thanks,

Anne Marie

Back to Top View julia s.'s Profile Search for other posts by julia s.

Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version