Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Advent Calendar Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Maria B.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Dec 01 2008 at 10:15am | IP Logged Quote Maria B.

nissag wrote:
Maybe you'll enjoy this one.

Blessings,

This is beautiful! I can't wait to show my daughter who will love to tackle this project.

Back to Top View Maria B.'s Profile Search for other posts by Maria B. Visit Maria B.'s Homepage

nissag
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 01 2008 at 10:18am | IP Logged Quote nissag

cactus mouse wrote:
didn't someone do an advent 'calendar' with matchboxes last year? I am sure that I saw it on a blog from someone here.
I loved that idea, and wanted to do it this year...

That was mine, Laura. You can pick up the matchboxes at a party supply. And you can take a little shortcut by using ready made stickers instead of cutting out images and decoupaging them. I think i might hit the tops with some diluted white glue or ModPodge just to be sure the stickers stick. The matchboxes can be a little bit glossy, making it harder for the sticker adhesive to do its job.

I'm painting letters for advent words and waiting for my brass candleholder thingies from NOVA natural so I can remake my advent wreath...

Blessings,

At Home With the Gadbois Family

Back to Top View nissag's Profile Search for other posts by nissag Visit nissag's Homepage

SusanJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 01 2008 at 11:44am | IP Logged Quote SusanJ

I used to get annoyed at all the "countdown to Christmas" advent calendars as well but I just read in the Magnificat Advent Companion yesterday that the traditional German calendars always started December 1 even in traditional communities where the season of Advent was a big deal. The little article in Magnificat had lots of German traditions and many of them started on various days of December. Just thought I'd throw that out there for anyone who loves Advent calendar but is hung up on that little discrepancy.

Susan

Back to Top View SusanJ's Profile Search for other posts by SusanJ Visit SusanJ's Homepage

Bella
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 01 2008 at 11:55am | IP Logged Quote Bella

SusanJ wrote:
I used to get annoyed at all the "countdown to Christmas" advent calendars as well but I just read in the Magnificat Advent Companion yesterday that the traditional German calendars always started December 1 even in traditional communities where the season of Advent was a big deal. The little article in Magnificat had lots of German traditions and many of them started on various days of December. Just thought I'd throw that out there for anyone who loves Advent calendar but is hung up on that little discrepancy.

Susan

Me,too,Susan !

I am so glad that I read that, as it has always bothered me a bit. When DH suggested that we get one of the wooden calendars from Target,I was so reluctant...until he started describing what he had in mind.

Anyway,maybe my thread will be moved here,but for now, you can read about it in Mother Nurture.

Oh! And I am now...modifying...with ideas you've all given me! Thank you!   

Back to Top View Bella's Profile Search for other posts by Bella

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Dec 01 2008 at 12:14pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Bella wrote:
[Anyway,maybe my thread will be moved here,but for now, you can read about it in Mother Nurture.

Here it is:).

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

Bella
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 01 2008 at 10:44pm | IP Logged Quote Bella

Ack! I can't get my Lindt Chocolate balls in! Aw well, Hersheys's Kisses fit,as do mini-Hershey's bars,and Doves chocolates...the #1 and #25 have bigger compartments.

I am wrapping all of the coupons,requests,etc...on stationary paper,with a little gold ribbon around it. Very small. I can see how one could adapt this for a larger family.

If only the Lindt Balls came in a wee smaller size.

Back to Top View Bella's Profile Search for other posts by Bella

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version