Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: handwashing vs dishwasher Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
St. Ann
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Oct 22 2008 at 11:25am | IP Logged Quote St. Ann

LisaR wrote:
helene wrote:
We also use the dishwasher only once daily. I run it only at night, hand-washing the larger pots, pans and awkward items as we go through the day (doesn't amount to much). I turn off the heat-dry cycle so the dishes air dry overnight and this reduces the electricity it uses significantly. Eleven people eat here 3 meals and many,many snacks every day but I find running it only once to be very manageable and economical. We buy detergent cheaply, too, at a big box mart store. I would never part with my dishwasher! Over the summer we lived without one because we were replacing our kitchen floor. My TIME is worth far more to me than whatever I could spend on washing dishes by hand!

yep, us too! we do exactly as you posted, it is inspirational to see you have a larger family than mine and it still works!!

OK, but then you must have some special system for drinking glasses. Glasses can fill up the top shelf so quickly...we only have 6 people and still some days I have a full top shelf at 3pm and the bottom is only half full. How do you manage drinking glasses?

Wife and mother to Hannah '96, Maria '99, Dorothea '01, Helena '03
Back to Top View St. Ann's Profile Search for other posts by St. Ann Visit St. Ann's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 22 2008 at 11:33am | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

I'm also wondering how you can manage the rest.. I don't think we even own 33 plates. We have enough bowls or plates for one meal. And I'm thinking when we're at MIL's that the dishwasher is clear full after one meal unless it's something like sandwiches on paperplates.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Michaela
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 22 2008 at 11:34am | IP Logged Quote Michaela

St. Ann wrote:
OK, but then you must have some special system for drinking glasses. Glasses can fill up the top shelf so quickly...we only have 6 people and still some days I have a full top shelf at 3pm and the bottom is only half full. How do you manage drinking glasses?

My children use their cup (with their name on it) all day.

Last month, I went to a Smart Martha talk, and the mom has "parking spots" for her nine children's cups. They are lined up, and placed in their spot to be used over and over throughout the day.

LucyP
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 22 2008 at 1:47pm | IP Logged Quote LucyP

We hand wash as we don't have the money to buy a dishwasher, and we don't have space for one even if we had the money. I do feel I do spend a lot of time at the sink, but I try to see it as either "me time", something to offer up, or a chance to spend time with a child to help me - and if the latter, it is also something to offer up
Back to Top View LucyP's Profile Search for other posts by LucyP

Kristie 4
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 22 2008 at 2:51pm | IP Logged Quote Kristie 4

Or Lucy, in our cold winter climate here in Manitoba, it is a time for me to get warm with my hands in hot water

A Walk in the Woods

Back to Top View Kristie 4's Profile Search for other posts by Kristie 4 Visit Kristie 4's Homepage

LisaR
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 22 2008 at 3:01pm | IP Logged Quote LisaR

Michaela wrote:
St. Ann wrote:

My children use their cup (with their name on it) all day.

Last month, I went to a Smart Martha talk, and the mom has "parking spots" for her nine children's cups. They are lined up, and placed in their spot to be used over and over throughout the day.

yep, my kids have their color, and their spot
this might sound wasteful/sloppy mothering, but often, they have their lunch on a paper towel put on top of their placemat!! then, when they are done eating, they crumple up the towel (with most of the crumbs ) and throw it away.
we do not use full size plates except for dinner, ever, and if we DO use a plate a breakfast or lunch it often is saucer sized...

Paul 14
Thomas 11
Dominic 8
Maria Gianna 5
Isaac Vincent 9/21/10! and...
many little saints in heaven!
Back to Top View LisaR's Profile Search for other posts by LisaR

helene
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 22 2008 at 3:24pm | IP Logged Quote helene

My kids do have a special color cup, but rarely stick to "the system". I don't use paper plates or towels.....but my dishwasher does accommodate many plates because the silverware basket is located on the inside of the door as opposed to the center of the bottom rack. You can fit so much more in that way. Efficient loading is key.

SusanJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 25 2008 at 12:51pm | IP Logged Quote SusanJ

The first couple months in our new apartment I didn't use the dishwasher because I thought it was broken and getting replaced. My mil used it one night here and we discovered that it worked great and I've been using it ever since. This dishwasher is from--ready for this?--1963. At least that was what the repairman thought who cracked up when he saw it. Our electric bill from the month we used it was about $15 less than the previous two months and the dishwasher was the only real change we made to our living habits. It has a heated dry that you can't turn off or interrupt and the dishes are too hot to touch after a cycle. All that and it sill seems to be better than handwashing. I'm a total dishwasher convert.

Back to Top View SusanJ's Profile Search for other posts by SusanJ Visit SusanJ's Homepage

LisaR
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 25 2008 at 1:35pm | IP Logged Quote LisaR

SusanJ wrote:
All that and it sill seems to be better than handwashing. I'm a total dishwasher convert.

I know I will admit, I am a bit of a germophobe, especially in the winter, and it makes me feel psychologically better to know my dishes have been sanitized! Susan, it sounds like no worries there for you with how hot they get!
We've had a gorgeous indian summer/fall, with temps finally in the mid 50's or so. The backs of my hands are already chapped along the knuckles , and I am alergic to whatever those dishwashing gloves are made of, so one more reason to be thankful for the dishwasher. My hands get super dried out just giving dd a bath!!

Paul 14
Thomas 11
Dominic 8
Maria Gianna 5
Isaac Vincent 9/21/10! and...
many little saints in heaven!
Back to Top View LisaR's Profile Search for other posts by LisaR

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version