Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: kids who talk... a lot Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
insegnante
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Oct 14 2008 at 12:10pm | IP Logged Quote insegnante

LeeAnn wrote:
You mean in some families individuals wait for their turn to talk??! We are this way also but haven't really done anything about it. Only recently have I realized that some people think it's rude.

Before I even start considering rudeness I just find it's hard on my nerves. But what you say below really applies to how I feel when my 6yo is talking continually, or when the kids are playing in the living area with one or both of them talking when I need or want to talk to my husband:

Quote:
I think if I waited every single time for someone to finish their sentence I'd go bonkers.

The way our house is set up right now doesn't give us many options.

I'm going a bit OT but this sure sounds like me:

Quote:
The funny thing is, most people think I am a very quiet person. I hardly talk at all--very serious--except for when I do.

I always get confused answering personality test questions about whether I'm "talkative." Maybe it's a matter of my introversion that it seems untrue in the great majority of situations but quite true in most of the remainder.

mary theresa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 14 2008 at 1:32pm | IP Logged Quote mary theresa

DominaCaeli wrote:

I'm happy to help her develop her verbal skills, and I love her sweet lisping voice, but I'm an introvert and would love a few minutes of quiet once and awhile. And I'm imagining what the future years will bring...

Yeah, this is me too, Celeste!

Her little words and voice are SO cute now, but when she gets older . . .

It doesn't help too much that she is REALLY bossy so most of her talking is trying to tell me what to do.

Philothea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 20 2008 at 7:43am | IP Logged Quote Philothea

Ian (age 4) is just like this! No advice, but I sure feel better knowing I'm not alone.

Sometimes I tell him, "No talking for 5 minutes," and then set a timer. Or I give him a choice between playing cars in his room or playing outside (we live on four acres now with windows looking out on every part of the yard, so I can let him run around outside without constant close-up supervision, he's good about obeying the boundaries we set out there) ... just to get him to be somewhere I'm NOT.

I feel so guilty because he's charming and smart and verbally gifted and I AM thankful ... but sometimes he uses his powers for evil, so to speak. Backtalk, negotiation, disrespect ... I know I was like that as a kid, and being given a dose of my own medicine is scary and unpleasant at times.

When he chooses to play in his room, I hear him still! He makes all the imaginary drivers of his Matchbox cars talk to each other in this high-pitched falsetto at the top of his lungs, plus siren noises and screeching tires and backup beeping and dump truck sounds ... it is LOUD but at least he's upstairs and I'm not and the walls are thick plaster (1921 house) ... so glad, as these noisy kids get bigger, to be out of the townhouse with its flimsy drywall and close quarters.

I do try to have several times throughout each day where I consciously give him my full attention and really go out of my way to show interest in what he likes. It seems to keep us connected and buy me some quiet time when I do this.
Back to Top View Philothea's Profile Search for other posts by Philothea

Red Cardigan
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 20 2008 at 11:49am | IP Logged Quote Red Cardigan

Well, none of my kids has yet out-talked their extremely verbose mother...

But truly, teaching children the difference between talking as in simply vocalizing their every thought, and having a conversation, is a challenge. One thing that seemed to help was inviting conversation at some times (mealtimes, especially) and then being able to say at other times, "I'm really busy right now, and can't chat about that. Can we save it for a conversation later?"

I'm afraid that both "why" questions and "what if" questions were fun for me. The key to answering a why question is to answer it! None of my children stayed in the "why" phase for very long, because if they asked mom why the sky was blue, for instance, she was liable to start telling them about how our planet has an atmosphere, and how the components of the atmosphere combined with the visible light spectrum produced by our sun...well, you get the idea! And you don't even have to be 100% accurate, so long as you're really, really thorough. Most of the time mine got bored with the answer before I did, and left (or put their little hands over *my* mouth to get me to stop talking!).

As for the what if--I *loved* the question about the hammer!!! My answer would probably be "I wonder if the hammer dressed up like a porcupine so people would stop grabbing him and pounding his head on things! He'd be too spiky to hold, and maybe he wanted a break from all the hard work of driving in nails. If you'll draw a few pictures about it, I'll write the words, and we can make a story about it!"

Sometimes the endless chatting and interrupting and inopportune questions really are pleas for attention. I know it seems like we give our children over a hundred percent of our time and attention already, so how can we give them more? But these ages really do go by so fast--though it only seems that way in retrospect.

Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 20 2008 at 12:42pm | IP Logged Quote Martha

I often respond to my dc with rhetorical questions like:

Why did they use B-I-N-G-O for bingo and not some other letters?

Who decided the color of grass should be called green? Why not "fumpadoo"?

It annoys them and my dh to no end.

Back to Top View Martha's Profile Search for other posts by Martha Visit Martha's Homepage

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version