Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: Discipline/1st Time Obedience/Ezzos Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
SallyT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Oct 16 2008 at 8:40pm | IP Logged Quote SallyT

Just now returning to this conversation. I did in fact go to Confession to deal with sloth, etc, in my discipline of late . . . and aside from praying more for my children, as Father suggested, I've thought about a couple of things (which are specific to us right now, not really pertinent to discipline in general):

1) we've just moved. My kids are still wound up by all the changes, which have been exacerbated by the fact that we've had to go back and forth to our old town twice in the two months since we moved. So everyone is kind of out of whack, including me.

2) we're in a bigger house than we've ever lived in before, with an upstairs. For the first time, I'm downstairs calling upstairs to kids to get ready (and I do give heads-up warnings before it's time to go). Probably I need to GO upstairs and make myself physically present, because people tend to go, "Okaaaay," and then get distracted by the box of legos. Didn't use to be a problem, because we were all in a smaller space together, and there was nowhere to hide from me. I don't think I've adjusted my MO to the new arrangement, and I need to. I used to be able to say, "Get your shoes and let's go," and they and I and the shoes were all in roughly the same place, so it happened. Now -- not so. I love the space we have, but it does create some new patterns of behavior which I need to change my own behaviors to deal with.

3)And yeah, I need to mean it the first time more consistently.

Sally

anitamarie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Oct 22 2008 at 9:33pm | IP Logged Quote anitamarie

We just recently posted an "If...Then..." Chart on our refrigerator. Now we don't have to think in the heat of the moment about a disciplinary action. We just go to the chart, point out which behavior the child engaged in and then mete out the punishment. We do not use corporal punishment in our house. The chart has worked wonders for the parents. We really needed it. As long as we consistently refer to the chart and deal with the behaviors right away, we see improvement. It's all up to us. Now, our big problem is that the children constantly point out which violations their siblings are committing and telling me to discipline them. Good luck!! It's amazing how much better behaved my children are when I am disciplined.
Back to Top View anitamarie's Profile Search for other posts by anitamarie

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version