Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Anyone on Facebook? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
florasita
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Oct 03 2008 at 1:01pm | IP Logged Quote florasita

I love facebook my dd27 had me join just over ayr ago . I now have 48 albums a fairy named lily and belong to the Padre Pio group ,several midwifery groups , gentle Christian mom group and I made two groups homeschooling for our province it is a closed private group and a sacred trees sacred forests group too it is an open group
I find once maybe twice per week is enough for me other wise it is to much . My spirirual director & priest is even on facebook sending me gifts all the time I made my dh an account he hates facebook and never goes on . He uses computer not as a social device . I think it so nice for community especially for those of us who are not out all day at a workplace which is where he gets most of his social activity .
    I am Tirzah Roxie Ateah Dufault somehow my whole name got on there
yes facebook can be a fun place .I did have to do major filtering though in the beginning as eldest dd had friends sending her really horrid pics etc.
That is another thing I only accept friends who I know or have some personal link to .I see some young people have like 450 friends they are random people they do not even know that just seems creepy to me .
Youngest dd is more prudent after she had some creepy guy bother her .
Even my servant coordinator from DJM is on there

May I rise & rest with words of Gratitude on my Breath
May I have the Heart & Mind of a Child in my Depth
May I forever remember to be a Light
May Peace Love & Hope be My Sight
Back to Top View florasita's Profile Search for other posts by florasita Visit florasita's Homepage

Fuzzy
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 03 2008 at 2:02pm | IP Logged Quote Fuzzy

Hmm. Don't know why you couldn't find me. I could find me!    I found me as the first one listed. Maybe you could try again?

Back to Top View Fuzzy's Profile Search for other posts by Fuzzy Visit Fuzzy's Homepage

doris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 03 2008 at 5:57pm | IP Logged Quote doris

I was on, then I took myself off. I found it very weird to be able to know what was going on in friends' lives without having spoken to them. Also the politics of it was a bit bizarre -- adding someone as a 'friend', giving them a 'gift', etc. Plus I don't need any excuse to waste time on the computer...

momtomany
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 04 2008 at 8:43am | IP Logged Quote momtomany

I'm on it. Joined because of an old friend that I used to know on another internet network.   I hardly ever go there.
But I have to say that I enjoyed the reaction from my older kids when they accidentally found out that I had a Facebook!!    Then I realized that I had never really done my profile so I added married. One dd commented there that she was glad that dad and I had finally gotten married after all these years!

organiclilac
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 06 2008 at 4:52pm | IP Logged Quote organiclilac

I just joined last week! It has been fun so far - not that I really need one more thing to do on the computer. I am Tracy Reeves, and would love to be friends.   

insegnante
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 27 2008 at 1:32am | IP Logged Quote insegnante

I joined. Out of curiosity mainly. I'm posting at 2:26 a.m. with a baby on my lap so I sort of have time for that kind of thing now, especially if it requires limited brainpower.

I have mixed feelings about the whole thing. I guess 3 of the 4 people I have listed as "friends" once qualified as real friends and by a slightly generous definition two still are. And the third one is a very nice person. No one local. I've always been inclined to a narrow definition of "friend" though. The other person sat in front of me in homeroom for 3 years, and has like 400 "friends" (no really) so I wonder if she's a completist who messages every familiar name. It is sad that I am still capable of feelings resembling those of my 7th-grade self seeing friends' names scribbled on other girls' books but never my name! It seems like the typical user has 30+ "friends." (Have I used quotation marks every time?)

I will give it a while and see if I have a chance to learn any more news about or make any connections with those people whose lives I've wondered about since we last were around each other. Not "friends" (yet) but I did also have a nice msg from someone I only knew in 8th grade I was surprised remembered me (actually a reply to my msg; I was emboldened by the fact that she'd added me as a "friend" on Classmates.com a while back.)

Yet, I've already wondered about the awkwardness of declining connections to people I really would rather not remain in the kind of daily contact Facebook allows for with. Politely ignoring seems hard when they can see you are being added to their other "friends'" pages. But I may not have to deal with this considering my history of unpopularity.

Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 27 2008 at 9:48am | IP Logged Quote Martha

not me.
my blog and message boards are enough for me
I really don't "get" the facebook and myspace thing either? Seems like just another blogging thingy to me?
and 1 blog is enough for me.

Back to Top View Martha's Profile Search for other posts by Martha Visit Martha's Homepage

KackyK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 27 2008 at 3:46pm | IP Logged Quote KackyK

Okay I just signed up today. An old friend was urging and then I saw this thread too and decided to try it out. Fun so far too. But I did immediately search for the deactivate account button...always have to know where my "out" is!!!

Mom to 8 - 3 dd, 5ds & 4 babes in heaven

Beginning With the Assumption
Back to Top View KackyK's Profile Search for other posts by KackyK Visit KackyK's Homepage

insegnante
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 27 2008 at 4:02pm | IP Logged Quote insegnante

Maybe I am missing something but it doesn't seem to me to be designed for blogging. I have seen links but no extended written musings on topics. Mostly one-line updates that some people change more often than others. And they post personal photos and write on people's "walls."

That's what I find kind of odd, I could go from thinking about a person once a year to having a daily one-liner from them about their busy weekend or how they feel about the weather or something (if I checked in daily -- I'm the kind of person who tends to get into habits like that, e.g., checking my Yahoomail every day even if there's hardly ever anything I read.)

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 27 2008 at 5:55pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

Facebook isn't really a blogging platform as much as it is a social networking site. You find new friends, old friends, etc., get in touch, keep in touch...

I think it's most useful for people who have real-life family/friends on there, for planning/online gatherings, etc. i.e., like when my daughter was on it and they'd plan service meetings, etc. with their local youth group -- because everyone was on facebook, it was easier to manage than a conference phone call or e-mail thread... their event discussions look much like this thread right here.

It's also very useful -- if you're into that sort of thing -- for keeping tabs on what's going on in a group or in a person's life, etc. esp. as they usually volunteer what they're up to, etc.

The danger is in the addictive qualities, etc. My 17-yo left a few months ago because she finally saw that it was a big time waster and that it wasn't healthy for her to want to know what everyone is doing where or when.

It's really up to you what you're comfortable with/what works in your life. I love it for keeping in touch with distant family and friends... but even with that minimal amount of contact I still get tired of it often and feel like "I really don't want to know" what people are up to... so I activate/deactivate every couple of months or so. Right now I'm deactivated :)

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

happymama
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 27 2008 at 6:47pm | IP Logged Quote happymama

I mostly signed up because it was an easy way to upload pictures for my sister & friends to see, and somewhat protected, as only my "friends" can see them. It has been fun to reconnect a bit with old friends, it's a good way to share your blog site & find friends' blogs. And since most of my friends don't have blogs, it's kindof a fun way to get to know them. I'm only on it for maybe 3,4 minutes a day, some days nothing.

pm me if you want to find me there!
Back to Top View happymama's Profile Search for other posts by happymama

Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 27 2008 at 6:59pm | IP Logged Quote Martha

lol I just reallized I have a facebook acct!
apparently I started it back in dec and promptly forgot about it.
oh well.
at least now it tells viewers to just go to my blog.

Back to Top View Martha's Profile Search for other posts by Martha Visit Martha's Homepage

Sparrow
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Oct 28 2008 at 10:11am | IP Logged Quote Sparrow

I'm on as Katie Huber :)

insegnante
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 29 2008 at 12:29am | IP Logged Quote insegnante

I'm glad you mentioned the deactivation feature, Stef. The introvert in me is really glad to know it's there

KackyK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 03 2008 at 4:10pm | IP Logged Quote KackyK

For those of you active on Facebook, please join Lepanto 2008. Just search for them on facebook and you'll easily be able to join and show your support on Facebook, if you want    My cousin is the facebook administrator for this group and he keeps asking me to get my friends to signup!!! I have very few irl friends on facebook...so you ladies out there...please go see!

If you don't know what Lepanto 08 is, check this out.

Mom to 8 - 3 dd, 5ds & 4 babes in heaven

Beginning With the Assumption
Back to Top View KackyK's Profile Search for other posts by KackyK Visit KackyK's Homepage

teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 03 2008 at 5:41pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

So, I just joined. I was thinking it would help me keep up with my teen. Of course, he has to "accept me as a friend" first. He did, but he's threatening to boot me off because I might cramp his style (said in modern lingo, of course! )! Now, I have people asking me to be friends, even some of my son's friends! I'm even friends with Ruth's daughter!

I don't quite get it either. One person sent me a Starbucks coffee, but I am not sure what to do with it or how to pass it on.

I do think I found my college roommate though!

To find me, search for JMU '91, Molly.

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

LisaR
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 22 2008 at 9:45am | IP Logged Quote LisaR

I'm on as Lisa Barrett Roder, and it has been interesting and a nice tool for me. I can easily post photos and check in, without feeling that "pressure" like I did with my brief investigation into blogging.
Plus, many of my "friends" would never read a blog about Catholic large family homeschooling, but they will email me through facebook with little questions about NFP, or my lifestyle, ect, because there just is enough on facebook to leave some scratching their heads- "what in the world happened to Lisa Barrett!!"
it has been nice to see some of you there.
I also find my attention span for facebook is short, which is good- 10 min vs getting sucked into reading blog after blog (which I love, just don't have the time for often!)
clicking on home and reading everyone's updates all at once/checking out a few photos is my speed right now
Merry Christmas!!

Paul 14
Thomas 11
Dominic 8
Maria Gianna 5
Isaac Vincent 9/21/10! and...
many little saints in heaven!
Back to Top View LisaR's Profile Search for other posts by LisaR

Angel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 22 2008 at 12:23pm | IP Logged Quote Angel

I'm on Facebook, too... My dh signed me up. I find that I'm just starting to figure it out... and now my entire family is hooked on Word Challenge! LOL

I'm on as Angela Groff Boord. I think I missed this thread first time around...

Back to Top View Angel's Profile Search for other posts by Angel Visit Angel's Homepage

Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 22 2008 at 12:55pm | IP Logged Quote Willa

I'm on ---I joined a few weeks ago because my husband had joined to keep in contact with his relatives -- then I talked my daughter and son into joining -- role reversal there, eh?

The main thrills we've gotten out of it are playing Geo Challenge and other games on the site -- the kids have a blast competing against each other.   They challenge their brother at college etc.

My daughter uses it as a place to put her photos so her family can see them.   I have a large-ish friend list because I add friends I know from online, while she has a policy of only adding IRL friends and relatives to her friend list, so her list is smaller.

Take Up and Read
Back to Top View Willa's Profile Search for other posts by Willa

Ruth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 22 2008 at 2:11pm | IP Logged Quote Ruth

teachingmyown wrote:
So, I just joined... I'm even friends with Ruth's daughter!

You are? That's not fair. I'm not even friends with my daughter. Just kidding! I don't have a facebook account. I just wanted to give you a hard time. Keep an eye on her for me.

mom to 7 miracles

My family blog

Loreto Rosaries
Back to Top View Ruth's Profile Search for other posts by Ruth Visit Ruth's Homepage

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version