Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: double names Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
momwats8
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 15 2008 at 7:18pm | IP Logged Quote momwats8

I just love the timing of this thread. Mike and I are naming our baby MaryGrace Corinne if we have a girl. We went back and forth and we like these names.

Maria - we call our dd 3 Maggie Lu sometimes. Her name is Margaret Lucy. Sort of close to yours.

I have enjoyed hearing everyones comments on double names     

http://www.momwats8.blogspot.com
Back to Top View momwats8's Profile Search for other posts by momwats8 Visit momwats8's Homepage

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 15 2008 at 7:43pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

The only one of the kiddoes who has a "double-name" is JP ... we were in Austria when he was born so we thought it'd be cool to call him Johannes-Paul Stephan (after Stephen of Hungary) and add our last name, the poor kid doesn't even have a chance at filling in the SAT bubbles before time is called! I mean, it's 32 letters!

We called him "Johannes-Paul" until we got back to the South -- but southerns couldn't understand why we called him "yohay-nis"? So we switched to John-Paul and now he's pretty much JP ... unless he's in trouble!

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

SallyT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 16 2008 at 11:17am | IP Logged Quote SallyT

My oldest has gone through phases of wishing we called her by both her first and middle names -- Ada Katharine. When she was a baby we did call her Ada Kate some, but it didn't stick (and everyone also called her Ada Potato, which she's very glad to have left behind). Mostly she's happy just being Ada, which is what we generally call her. But I gave her those names because I liked both of them, and the sound of them together, and the idea that she could go by either, or both, if she liked.

Our other daughter is Rachel Emily (she actually has a third name which is my maiden name, too). Again, we call her by her first name, but I do sometimes call her by both.

The two boys just go by first names, Joel and Ben. "Benjamin" is long enough that I'm just not tempted to say, "Benjamin Brooks" all the time, and Joel has a family-surname middle name that doesn't really flow, without being confusing, anyway. His middle name is Matthews (my mother's maiden name), so people think he's Joel Matthew all the time, which I guess would work as a double name, but it's NOT his name, so we don't invite more confusion.

I love double names as a general rule, though. We have some friends from a huge extended family with a lot of Mary+male name girls. Mary John, Mary Tom, Maryjohn (Tom and John are the main second names, obviously!). When the family who are our closest friends had their last baby, and knew she was going to be a girl, they called her Mary -- but in prayers every night, someone in their family would always pray for "Little Baby Mary Bubba" . . . that was a family joke which fortunately died before that Mary was born.

Sally

Sally

juststartn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 16 2008 at 5:40pm | IP Logged Quote juststartn

I wanted to give the boys three names--John Robert Paul, and David Michael Patrick. DH wouldn't let me--he thought it was pretentious. So we have John Robert and David Michael...

Rachel

Sophia 4/19/04
John 5/7/07
David 5/7/07
Ava Maria, in the arms of Jesus, 9/5/08
Back to Top View juststartn's Profile Search for other posts by juststartn

Mary Chris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 16 2008 at 9:06pm | IP Logged Quote Mary Chris

If I ever get the chance to name another girl, It will be Kathryn Louise. I will call her Katie Lou. Then just like the book by Mem Fox, I can say Katie Lou I do love you!!!

onemoretracy
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 22 2008 at 9:01am | IP Logged Quote onemoretracy

My youngest is MaryClare and Anne is her middle name. My baby (in womb) is Sara and Jane is her middle name. My mom and some other family want to call her Sara Jane and I am fine with it, but her name is suppossed to be Sara

My mom has the concern that MaryClare (who is from China) will be saddened or feel badly or something having the only dbl. name in the family. I have another daughter named Laine-bio-no dbl. name. Mom is worried that the dbl. name will be another thing to make MC feel 'different'.

I get what she means, but I think she is maybe being too cautious? I mean MC is Chinese, she does look 'different' than the rest of the family. (actually all of my kids think MC looks just like me! She is the only kid to have super dark hair and eyes like mama!) I think that would be a bigger red flag than a dbl. name?

I know this is a bit OT, but do you think one kid having a dbl. name and others not is a big deal? Can you see my poor daughter MC being distressed about this in the future or is worrying about that just borrowing trouble? ....Like I need any more?!!

DS Ryan-9
DS Luke-6
DD Laine-6
DD Mary Clare-3
DD Sara (Dec.6 '08)
My Blog
Back to Top View onemoretracy's Profile Search for other posts by onemoretracy

Mary Chris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 22 2008 at 9:25am | IP Logged Quote Mary Chris

I am the only one in my family with a double name and it doesn't bother me. I will admit I did go though a time (probably jr high) when I wanted to be just Mary. It was pretty short lived.

Maybe it is just a field hockey thing, this week there there was a Mary Katherine on the opposing team.   

Angi
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 22 2008 at 10:01am | IP Logged Quote Angi

My girls are still young, but no one has seemed to mind that they do not have double names. Though we do use middles names sometimes with them. And many many nicknames.
Back to Top View Angi's Profile Search for other posts by Angi

MaryAnne
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Sept 22 2008 at 9:39pm | IP Logged Quote MaryAnne

I was the only sib in my family with a double name and the only daughter. Never had a problem .... either at home or outside the home regarding having a double name or regarding my name. The Sisters always indicated that I was blessed by my name.... So I guess that I feel that one child in a family with a double name isn't a problem...

My female cousins on Dad's side were all called by their first & middle names (Rita Eileen, Anne Veronica. Eileen Marie & Kathleen Anne).... Though they have all long since dropped the middle name. There were alot of Mary Anne's, Anne Marie's Rose Mary's etc at school... Having a double name didn't stand out.... The guys (brothers & cousins) were always called by only their first names.... not sure why...as they all had middle names....   

Unfortunately, my brother Cyril was tortured regarding his name. It was a common family name in Newfoundland (where Mom was from) but in Brooklyn it was extremely unusual.... At school the Sisters weren't certain as to the pronunciation and his classmates called him Zero or Cereal...    Professionally he switched to C. Michael for a period of time, but seems to have settled on Cy (pronounced "C") which seems to work.. Very different sometimes isn't good.....
Back to Top View MaryAnne's Profile Search for other posts by MaryAnne

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: Sept 22 2008 at 11:16pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

I don't have anything to add to the double name conversation, since I have no experience there, but I just thought I'd say that this part:

insegnante wrote:
I recently discovered that it was the name of the wives of both Robert E. Lee and Stonewall Jackson. (There is a lot of stuff named after those guys here in Northern Virginia. But I'm from farther North, so I spent years wondering just who "Lee Jackson" was that he had a memorial highway named after him.)

is hysterical. My Civil War fanatic dh will get a kick out of that.   

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 23 2008 at 6:54am | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

We have chosen a name for our new daughter and are considering a double name again, and adding a third name for a middle name, but... we have an adorable shortened form of the frist name floating around, so we are trying to decide!

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet

Fuzzy
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 23 2008 at 8:06am | IP Logged Quote Fuzzy

My brother has 3 girls, and the last 2 have double names as first names, and middle names. Did you ladies with a double name have trouble growing up and having to correct people often? I grew up having to correct the spelling of my name ALL THE TIME - Frances, with an "E" not and "I" and I never wanted to do that to my kids.

Our newest boy is William, and we aren't sure if he will have a nickname or not. But it's amazing how many people already try to call him Billy! We did some serious thinking about middle names (no "Joseph" or "Robert" ). I think nicknames just kind of "happen" (like mine ) so I don't know where we will go with his name.

Back to Top View Fuzzy's Profile Search for other posts by Fuzzy Visit Fuzzy's Homepage

MaryAnne
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Sept 23 2008 at 9:24pm | IP Logged Quote MaryAnne

Fuzzy wrote:
Did you ladies with a double name have trouble growing up and having to correct people often? I grew up having to correct the spelling of my name ALL THE TIME - Frances, with an "E" not and "I" and I never wanted to do that to my kids.

I had major problems with people mis-spelling / mis pronouncing my name ... The major boo boo was dropping the "e" in Anne..... People used Mary Ann, Marian, MaryAm, Marianne, Maryan, etc. etc. and my ALL time irritant .... the Muslims at a hotel I was employed at used MarryAm, Marry An, Merry An or MerryAm and were clueless as to why it irritated me... Oh well   
Back to Top View MaryAnne's Profile Search for other posts by MaryAnne

CathinCoffeland
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 24 2008 at 12:24am | IP Logged Quote CathinCoffeland

I spent about half my life being Maggie Ann or Maggie Annie but mostly I go by Maggie or Mags these days.

No matter how much you agonize your kids or others are going mess around with the name you so lovingly picked

We wrestled a long time with our toddlers name because my mom kept saying our choices were too "Catholic"

Any way we finnaly settled on the "perfect name" it is a double name and what does everyone call her? Blue eyes or minimuffin or gridlon- go figure.

I simply make sure to use her full name in conversation right after some one says it "wrong" rather than directly correct them. People usually figure it out.

Most commonly though she is refered to by her first name and middle initial- my grandma started it she thinks it sounds elegant "like Jackie O."

Maggie, Maggie Ann, Maggie Annie, Maggie Moose, Mags, Maglet, Mama, MOMMIE! and Pea of Great Sweetness.
Back to Top View CathinCoffeland's Profile Search for other posts by CathinCoffeland Visit CathinCoffeland's Homepage

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 24 2008 at 4:41am | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

Maggie,

The name we have chosen for our daughter is Margaret Mary. We are trying to decided if we want to go with Margaret Mary -another name- Last name or leave it at Margaret (first name) Mary (middle name) and call her Greta. I know if we call her Greta from the start it will stick, but I LOVE Margaret Mary, but not to fond of Maggie. Greta is so beautiful and unique.

And we too have been accused of our kids names being 'too Catholic' - AYE!

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet

Fuzzy
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 24 2008 at 7:08am | IP Logged Quote Fuzzy

I don't usually get the "too catholic" phrase, but I am told my names are "boring"!

Lisa, I had to laugh this morning. I am reading your post and a light bulb went off in my head. My MIDDLE NAME is Margaret Mary! For years I tried to put both names on everything. It did eventually get shorter, because there wasn't room on some forms. As I got older, it did shortened to just one letter. I can't believe I didn't remember in this whole conversation!    I must be a sleep-deprived new mommy.

Love the nickname "Greta" for Margaret. My mom is Margaret and she is "Peggy".

Back to Top View Fuzzy's Profile Search for other posts by Fuzzy Visit Fuzzy's Homepage

insegnante
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 24 2008 at 9:07pm | IP Logged Quote insegnante

onemoretracy wrote:
I know this is a bit OT, but do you think one kid having a dbl. name and others not is a big deal? Can you see my poor daughter MC being distressed about this in the future or is worrying about that just borrowing trouble? ....Like I need any more?!!

It never occurred to me that we would give future daughters double names to match this baby's. I think she has a double name mostly because the first part of her name is also Mary, like your daughter's, and somehow that seems to lend itself more to being paired up with another name than a lot of names do.

I can see why there may be more risk of an adopted child feeling "singled out" in a negative way, but as a complete non-expert on adoption, I'd think your overall relationship with her is going to mean a lot more to dealing with that than how her name compares to her siblings'!

insegnante
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 24 2008 at 9:22pm | IP Logged Quote insegnante

Fuzzy wrote:
I don't usually get the "too catholic" phrase, but I am told my names are "boring"!

Lisa, I had to laugh this morning. I am reading your post and a light bulb went off in my head. My MIDDLE NAME is Margaret Mary!

My mother's Confirmation name is Margaret Mary. That was on my long list for this baby.

I did ask at the pediatrician's about changing the name on her record so that people there would call her by both first and middle. The nurse wanted to make sure the insurance claims they submitted matched her name on her insurance, which is probably Firstname Middleinitial, but I guess they made a note somewhere because when the doctor came in she called our baby by the double name and wrote a prescription for her by the double name. So then I asked if there would be a problem with that if it didn't match her "insurance name"...

I keep wondering what I've set my child up for with this confusing name. I grew up having to tell people "with an h" about my first name and then say my then-last name very clearly and spell it. (Still have to spell my married name, but it's only three letters!) But I still like her name!

LisaR
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 24 2008 at 9:46pm | IP Logged Quote LisaR

I have an aunt Margaret (went by Margo) who had a daughter, my cousin Greta. That name sounded fabulous with their german last name!!
Greta has always been one of our top 5 picks for a girl.

The problem I have with margaret, is that everyone pronounces it "Margret", and a few friends I have with the name even had to correct spellings on it, because many will try to spell what they hear: "Margret"

I DO tend to be a stickler for proper pronunciation of names ,which is why we have Gianna for a middle name, not a first name. (it is "john-a", Gian is John, adding the a to feminize, not "gee-ahn-a" like almost everyone in America says...)

I've always thought if I did a double name for a first name, I would have to do it with no spaces, so that people got it??

like "JohnPaul" or "MaryBeth" , etc...

I like St Margaret Mary, I do know of one family with an almost two year old and the full name still seems to be working out great!!

Paul 14
Thomas 11
Dominic 8
Maria Gianna 5
Isaac Vincent 9/21/10! and...
many little saints in heaven!
Back to Top View LisaR's Profile Search for other posts by LisaR

hopalenik
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 24 2008 at 10:40pm | IP Logged Quote hopalenik

I had a friend who purposely called other 5 of their children by their first and baptismal name. We thought it a bit odd at first, especially since the third one was a Mary and had a title from the Litany of Mary as her middle name but they are going to parochial school and as far as I know all 5 insist on being called Mary so and so, or John so and so and not just Mary or John. I am also beginning to see a whole lot of John Pauls around, and the family wants them to be addressed as John Paul, even though none of the other children are addressed with 2 names.

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version