Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Thanksgiving! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Nov 21 2005 at 1:01pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

jenngm67 wrote:
Can you give detailed directions on how to make pumpkin mash?

Cut pumpkin in half and remove the seeds and stringy fibers from inside. Rub the cut surfaces of the pumpkin with oil and place the 2 halves (cut-side-down) in a roasting pan. Add 1 cup of water. Bake in oven at 350F until pumpkin flesh is tender when pierced with a knife – around 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Remove and cool, then scoop the baked flesh out of each pumpkin half with a spoon. Then mash/puree using a food processor, manual/rotary food mill, or mash by hand. Place the puree in a sieve or strainer lined with a paper-towel or coffee filter and set over a deep bowl. Let drain, stirring occasionally until the puree is thick, approximately 1 hour.

An alternate method is to cut the pumpkin and clean it out as above, but then cut into smaller pieces and remove skin. Then steam or boil untile soft like you would potatoes. When soft, drain and then mash/puree using the food processor, food mill, or mash by hand. This technique yields a more 'watery' puree, so it really needs to drain well.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Cindy Mac
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 21 2005 at 3:38pm | IP Logged Quote Cindy Mac

Okay - here's the Southwestern Turkey that I promised Elizabeth. I've been making it for 9 years now and I always get RAVE reviews. There's no real measuring involved with the spices.

Southwestern Turkey

Preheat oven to 350. Salt and pepper inside of turkey. Stuff bird with 1 potato, 2 large onions, 2 large bell peerps (all quartered) and lots of dried red chile peppers (I use chipotle, but any kind will work). Coat outside of bird with hot pepper oil (reserving some for another coat at the end). Rub mixture of chile powder, garlic powder, thyme, cracked black pepper, onion powder and salt onto outside of bird. Cover with light layer of oil. Place 1/2" water in bottom of pan (I sometimes forget that part and it still turns out great). Place giblets in water and rest bird on top (never do that). Baste turkey every 1/2 hour (or when you remember !).

Many people like to eat the "stuffing" afterwards, but don't feel obligated to one way or the other. I got this recipe from a man I used to work with who was a professional chef in his former life. I've never gone wrong with it.

Kellys Klassroom Korner
St. Anne's Academy
Back to Top View Cindy Mac's Profile Search for other posts by Cindy Mac Visit Cindy Mac's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 21 2005 at 3:40pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Cindy Mac wrote:
Okay - here's the Southwestern Turkey that I promised Elizabeth. I've been making it for 9 years now and I always get RAVE reviews. There's no real measuring involved with the spices.

Southwestern Turkey

Sounds so good...but I married a man who is sensitive to hot spicy foods!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 21 2005 at 3:41pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Thanks for posting all the help! I need it!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: Nov 22 2005 at 12:21am | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

ladybugs wrote:
Does anyone have a recipe for pumpkin muffins?

These are delicious!

Low Fat Pumpkin Muffins

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup white sugar
1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoons nutmeg
1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoons ground cloves
2 eggs
1 cup pumpkin
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
½ cup chocolate chips or raisins

Directions
1 Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 12 cup muffin pan, or line with paper muffin liners. If using raisins soak them in hot water for ten minutes to plump, then drain.

2 In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, nutmeg, cinnamon, and ground cloves. In a separate bowl, mix the eggs, pumpkin, and applesauce, until smooth. Add this mixture to the dry ingredients and stir thoroughly to make a smooth batter. Stir the raisins or chocolate chips into the batter. Spoon batter into the prepared muffin cups.

3 Bake for 30 to 35 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: Nov 22 2005 at 6:08pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

I know this is late, but here are two more Thanksgiving recipes. I bring them to my parents' house each year and everyone loves them. (I usually make some of the Sweet Potato Souffle without the pecans for the children.)

Sweet Potato Souffle
(Southern Living Recipe)

2 large Sweet Potatoes, about 2 ½ lbs.
1 cup Sugar
1/2 cup Evaporated Milk
1/3 cup Butter or Margarine, softened
2 large Eggs
1 Tbsp. Orange Juice Concentrate, thawed
1/4 tsp. Salt
1 cup firmly packed Brown Sugar
1/3 cup All-Purpose Flour
1/3 cup Butter or Margarine, melted
1 cup chopped Pecans

Cook sweet potatoes in boiling water to cover for 30 minutes or until tender. Let cool to touch; peel and mash potatoes. Combine potatoes, sugar, evaporated milk, softened butter, eggs, orange juice concentrate, and salt. Spoon evenly into 2 lightly greased 9-inch pie plates. Combine the brown sugar, pecans, and flour; sprinkle evenly over the potato mixture. Drizzle evenly with 1/3 cup melted butter. Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes. Makes 8 servings.

Home-Style Creamed Corn Casserole

2 – 17 oz. cans Cream Style Corn
1 cup Minute Rice
1 Egg, slightly beaten
1/2 tsp. Salt
1/8 tsp. Pepper
1/8 tsp. Ground Nutmeg, optional

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl; mix well. Pour into greased 9-inch square baking dish. Bake at 375 degrees for 25 minutes (15 minutes on High in microwave) or until liquid is absorbed. Makes 6 servings.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 22 2005 at 7:48pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

That Sweet Potato is just the recipe I was looking for!

I found a site with a variety of Gluten Free stuffing recipes. I finally found my wild rice dressing/stuffing I needed. Gluten Free Stuffings

Now I just need to cook and clean and remember to not do too much and relax and enjoy!

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 23 2005 at 9:28am | IP Logged Quote momwise

I found this explanation for perfect mashed potatoes while googling this morning:

The best thing to use is a potato ricer, and the next best thing is a food mill. These two gadgets work so well because the potatoes achieve a uniform texture as they pass through evenly sized holes, and they get smashed only once. With this method, the cell walls are much less likely to break open. A traditional hand-held potato masher is probably what your grandmother used, is probably what your mother used, and is probably what you use too. This longstanding method works passably, as you probably know from experience, but it demands that you to repeatedly mash the same potatoes in order to achieve smoothness. There is a greater risk of smashing open the swollen starch cells by doing this, and therefore, a greater risk of glueyness. And unless you like your potatoes the consistency of wallpaper paste, never, ever try to mash them in a food processor.

My question is, without a ricer, would it work to force it through the grater attachment on the Cuisinart? Is it the same thing? As you can see mashed potatoes is one thing I don't do

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 23 2005 at 9:44am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

momwise wrote:
My question is, without a ricer, would it work to force it through the grater attachment on the Cuisinart? Is it the same thing? As you can see mashed potatoes is one thing I don't do

Oh, just too much overanalysisl! Of all things, don't sweat the mashed potatoes! I don't think I've ever had gluey mashed potatoes...maybe my mother used enough milk and butter to outweight the starch. Anyway, she always used a hand mixer to mash the potatoes.

Her method: Just peel potatoes, cut in relatively even pieces, boil in water with added salt. Boil until fork tender. Drain and put pot with potatoes back on the stove. Add a "chunk" of butter (depending on how many potatoes you have), milk, salt, pepper and either garlic or onion powder, depending on your tastebuds. The stove and pot are still a bit warm to melt the butter, but you can put on low heat, and then use the mixer to mash potatoes. Put in serving dish and place pats of butter on top. They will melt before serving...the men love the butter and like seeing the visual proof that the butter is in the potatoes!

What I'm doing this year is using a slow cooker to keep my potatoes warm, since my mother is bringing them to my house. That's always the biggest problem....having them the right temperature for serving time.

I only got a potato ricer recently because that's what my mother-in-law uses and my dh is a purist -- his mother did it the best! For next year, Gwen...they aren't expensive. I just wasn't too impressed at the difference! The mixer method was easier!

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Nov 23 2005 at 10:31am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

A ten-year-old Irish boy taught me to mash potatoes when he lived with us six years ago (probably out of desperation ). i mash them in my mixer after boiling them until they fall apart when pierced by a fork. Add lots of butter and plenty of milk. They're never gluey (Carl tells me that gluey is really just from undercooking or using the wrong potatoes).

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 23 2005 at 10:56am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Hmmm, seems my mother's method is close to Irish...and we've only got a touch!

Maureen from Thrifty Homeschooler Yahoo list posted these links for things to do for the children. I thought I'd pass them along, as I'm looking for ways to preoccupy my ds while I prepare the house. My house is looking messier than ever...he's ransacking my bookshelves, toys...everything. He's had a tough few weeks since Mommy has been emotionally drained....

Thanksgiving Ideas Galore

EnchantedLearning.com

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 23 2005 at 11:03am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Oh, and Jan Brett has some WONDERFUL pages:

~Hedgie Cooks for Thanksgiving

~Hedgie Makes a Thanksgiving Apple Pie

~Pilgrim Hedgie

~Thanksgiving Coloring Placemat

~Thanksgiving Place Cards

~Thanksgiving Book Marks Printed

~Thanksgiving Book Marks Cursive

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version