Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: candy Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
amiefriedl
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Nov 02 2005 at 11:39am | IP Logged Quote amiefriedl

You know, I just am not a real candy lover. Now put me in a room with a bag of Chips Ahoy or Oreos... and there is carnage.

Or CAKE! I love cake. My favorite quote is from that movie "Persuasion" (Jane Austin, no?) where the one daughter complains about her m-i-l saying, "It's all about the cake." It really is all about cake (and cookies and most other baked goods).

Back to Top View amiefriedl's Profile Search for other posts by amiefriedl Visit amiefriedl's Homepage

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Nov 02 2005 at 7:09pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

You all are TOO funny! My oh my...eat away friends . My poor stomach (with hypoglycemic tendencies) just can't take more than a piece or two of candy. My kid's bellies aren't much stronger.   

Now...ice cream, on the other hand, is AOK with me! Pies come next. Then cookies. Then pudding. Then cake. Where do I fit in cannolies?

Thanks for the great tips, all !

Love,    

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

Sarah
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 02 2005 at 7:28pm | IP Logged Quote Sarah

I hope that the kids eat it all the first day and then we're done and they have! It's gone, folks. However, I don't really think they got that much compared with with what I got as a kid. They trick-or treated a few houses then only got a little from the All Saints party. You all made me feel guily, though. I'm such a stickler on what they eat that a couple times a year they can suck down a bunch of junk. I'm glad to be done with it.

Back to Top View Sarah's Profile Search for other posts by Sarah

cctabb
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Nov 02 2005 at 10:09pm | IP Logged Quote cctabb

I have always kept candy available, within easy reach of dd (after her first birthday) and dh. We went through a lot of M&Ms during years 2 and 3. After 5 years the temptation is almost nonexistant. We may eat it hardily for a few days and within a few weeks all the chocolate is gone. I end up throwing a bunch of it away right before Christmas. Then I throw the Christmas candy away right before Easter. I got lucky and that bit of reverse psychology worked for us.

Charlene
Back to Top View cctabb's Profile Search for other posts by cctabb

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: Nov 02 2005 at 11:09pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

Well, we eat it all ourselves too.   I have a friend whose children can use the previous years' Halloween candy for birthday pinatas each summer. We might be able to use some for a Thanksgiving pinata if we planned ahead and saved some!

Now here's a serious poll for all of you candy eating households: Do you limit candy eating after the first day or two? What are your limits?

I set a rule of 3 small candies per day for the time being. They can choose when to eat them from lunchtime on. After awhile we lower that to 2 per day.

My oldest was upset about the limit of 3. She tried to tell me that NOBODY else is so strict with their children about Halloween candy. I'll have to tell her about some of the posts here and she'll start feeling very privileged indeed.

My girls each have a sweet tooth. Thankfully, none of my girls seem to have inherited my tendency to being overweight--they are all average to slender. (I really hope that continues as they get older.) None of my kids have ever had a cavity. (Let's hope our streak continues because two more of them are heading to the dentist in the morning!) And nobody acts hyperactive when we have sugary treats. So the usual arguments for strict limitations don't hold much sway in their minds. I still know it's not good for them. So what do all of you do about limitations?

Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 03 2005 at 11:21am | IP Logged Quote Willa

Sarah wrote:
I hope that the kids eat it all the first day and then we're done and they have! It's gone, folks. However, I don't really think they got that much compared with with what I got as a kid. They trick-or treated a few houses then only got a little from the All Saints party.

Sarah -- I could have practically written this word for word !

I plan the day off on November 1, accordingly. We did go to Mass, though!   

Take Up and Read
Back to Top View Willa's Profile Search for other posts by Willa

tovlo4801
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 03 2005 at 7:08pm | IP Logged Quote tovlo4801

We eat it all here too. I don't have enough discipline to keep it from my kids. The sad truth is that the kids are WAY more disciplined than I am. They can nibble little bit by little bit at the candy until spring. The problem is me. I can't stand to have it around and not eat it, so they are always watching me like hawks to make sure I'm not stealing their candy.

I just wanted to offer an educational option to try for a beginning reader. My 5 yo has been coming to me over the last few days asking for help opening candies. I tell him I'll open it if he can read the words on it.

It's been great!
Back to Top View tovlo4801's Profile Search for other posts by tovlo4801

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version