Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: Crafty Knights or Romans Ideas Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 10 2008 at 12:07pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Matilda wrote:
I thought I could do it by using the url of the picture form my blog. Does that not work? It is already uploaded over at Blogger and I just copied the url of the picture itself.

Yes, you can Charlotte. I fixed it. Your image was too big. This site will only support ones of certain sizes (I've got to go find those dimensions to post). I got this one to work by using the url of the modifidied one right on your main page blog not the full size one that is actually uploaded in the picture gallery. Does that make sense?

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Matilda
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 10 2008 at 12:14pm | IP Logged Quote Matilda

Yes it does. I probably should have just linked to the bigger one because I don't think you can see the little shield in the smaller version. Sorry to be difficult! Thank you sweet computer fairy!

Waltzing Matilda
Back to Top View Matilda's Profile Search for other posts by Matilda

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 10 2008 at 1:19pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

You made a really small handle, and I needed that visual, thanks!

Okay, now that I saw the dragon pinata, did you make it? And please share the directions! That was on my to do list.

And thanks for the tip of Target and Wal-Mart. I admit I haven't trekked to those two places yet (everywhere else, it seems). So I'll add that if I get everything else done.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Sept 10 2008 at 1:42pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

For the goblets I was going to suggest a party store. The ones pictured in the Family Fun link are just those cheapo plastic ones where the base comes off.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Matilda
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 10 2008 at 3:47pm | IP Logged Quote Matilda

OK Jenn, here goes. That picture is at least 6 maybe 7 years old. I did make the pinata but I didn't follow any directions and I think I started a few weeks maybe even a month before the party. I used a balloon and basic paper mache stuff (newspaper and homemade "glue") to cover it. Once that was mostly dry, I used paper towel and toilet paper rolls to make the legs, neck and tail. Tape them on and flesh them out with balls of newspaper. Although, the tail might have been some poster board rolled up into a cone and tape to the stomach. When you get the shape fleshed out, paper mache over all of it. For the head, I think I used another small balloon. The spikes were just glued on triangles of construction paper. I know I made the thing in stages but I can't remember what the order was except that I started with the stomach since that is where the candy was going to be held. (We still have the head tucked away in a keepsake box for my big guy. Kinda gruesome, I know.)

Now, if you don't have the time to do all of this, you can accomplish it faster by purchasing a premade soccer ball pinata, with the parts attached (made out of construction paper) and covered in green spray paint. Wish I had thought of that years ago! Those white soccer balls also make great Death Stars should your little guy become a Star Wars fan.

Waltzing Matilda

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 10 2008 at 4:54pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Weeks? Month? Oh dear, I don't have that kind of time. Do pinatas take an inordinate amount of time? I might be better off paying $15.99 at the Party store.

Your second suggestion sounds a bit like these instructions. what do you think?

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Matilda
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 10 2008 at 5:15pm | IP Logged Quote Matilda

Yeah, that is close to what I was imagining except skip the beginning and use a soccer ball. If you don't even want to go to that much trouble or expense, print out a really ferocious dragon picture and tape it to a paper bag pinata. But hey, if you can find a dragon pinata already made, go for it!

Waltzing Matilda

Matilda
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 10 2008 at 5:16pm | IP Logged Quote Matilda

I forgot to say that shaped pinatas can take a lot of time because you usually have to build them in stages and you have to let each stage dry completely before continuing. It is also super messy!

Waltzing Matilda

missionfamily
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 10 2008 at 9:15pm | IP Logged Quote missionfamily

Jenn--I don't know if they are around this time of year but last year I used these little plastic ice cream goblets from the dollar store and painted with that stone textured spray paint, then added jewels. They came out very cool.

Footprints on the Fridge
Back to Top View missionfamily's Profile Search for other posts by missionfamily Visit missionfamily's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version