Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Paper Dolls Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 18 2007 at 4:49am | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

I just found this site this morning and searched here to see if anyone had posted about it. So happy to have found this old thread!

We LOVE paper dolls; even my boys sometimes get into it, if only for a few minutes. (I played with them as a child; once our house was burglarized and the first thing I looked for to make sure no one had stolen it was the paper doll book my dad had bought for me the night before.)

Every historical era we study I try to get a book of paper dolls so the little one has something to play with while the olders read and discuss and do stuff with me. I second the recommendation for Dover, though they are not "cute" paper dolls. My 5-yo's favorites are the Peter Rabbit ones.

But today we found Toymaker -- so much fun!!! And I see Genevieve has posted about them above. She's even got a blog and I just viewed her video about making a really easy valentine.

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 18 2007 at 8:30am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Stef, that link takes me to Mattel. Can you help me out? And perhaps ling Geneieve's blog post?

I was crazy about paperdolls. We had such a variety, many very rare. Mom warned us if we didn't put them away, and they got pitched. It still grieves me to this day. We got others, but were never able to replace all the ones we lost.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 18 2007 at 8:54am | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

Whoops, sorry about that Jenn. Fixed it (I had forgotten the "the" in the URL). Here it is again:

Toymaker

Oh, and it's not paper dolls per se, but paper TOYS. Beautiful though -- the artist is so talented!

It wasn't a blog post from Genevieve -- she had provided the same link on page 1 of this thread.

How awful about the paper dolls! I miss some of my old toys too, esp. the ones that are no longer made these days. Have you tried eBay?

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 18 2007 at 8:57am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Sorry about that, I realized it was a second page to a thread after I posted!

I've tried eBay, but since I can't remember some of the names, I haven't had luck. My favorites were some smaller international paper dolls, one called "Margo" who had fruit basket on her head as one hat.

Betsy Ross, Snow White, Mary Poppins...I'm sure I could find those. I'm blurry on the rest. We had many, many, many...which is why my mother was on a tirade.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Lorri
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 18 2007 at 9:47am | IP Logged Quote Lorri

My daughter just discovered paper dolls when we visited the Smithsonian Museum of American History. She very carefully chose Abe Lincoln and Family and George and Martha Washington. I ran them through my Xyron to make them into magnets. Lots of work for me, but well worth it. She sticks them to her very tacky metal closet doors (military housing).

Back to Top View Lorri's Profile Search for other posts by Lorri

MichelleW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 18 2007 at 10:10am | IP Logged Quote MichelleW

I know this thread is a couple of years old, but Becky!! What a great idea! My dd LOVES paper dolls and I am always picking up little pieces. We have been keeping them in ziploc bags, but the bags always end up in strange places. Keeping them in a binder is brilliant!

juststartn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 18 2007 at 10:29am | IP Logged Quote juststartn

I bought an OOOOLLLLLD set at a yard sale eons ago....back before I was married, even, lol. And more recently, I got another set...the more recent set was still old, but they had been laminated and had had those sheet magnets cut out and put onto the back.

I've carefully removed the paperdolls from my old ME Home Companion magazines (I no longer have a subscription--wonderful magazine, but I cannot keep getting magazines....small house, no storage space, and a growing family...priorities have to be some where. SIGH...but my dds aren't really "into" them that much. Well, maybe I can try again soon. I'm on the verge of completely removing the tv. Or at least cutting it wayyyyy back from where it has been. It's not been "that" bad...or indiscriminate, but ykwim...it sneaks up on you...lol.

Thanks for the reminders..I need to go dig those paperdolls out.

Rachel

Back to Top View juststartn's Profile Search for other posts by juststartn

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: Jan 18 2007 at 2:19pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

Becky Parker wrote:
I've found a great way to organize them that I thought I would share in case anyone else has a child with this interest. I was tired of picking them up off her bedroom floor or finding them crumpled in a plastic bag or shoe box somewhere. So, I found a 3 inch binder and used gallon size zip-lock bags. I used a 3-hole punch to put holes in each bag and put them into the binder. She puts each set of paper dolls into a different zip-lock.

Becky, I am SO glad that this topic has been bumped back up because I really wanted to thank you for this idea! I had clearly remembered this post in the year following it, but never got around to actually organizing our paper dolls this way.    Then, this past fall my 6 and 8yo began to play with our paper dolls regularly again. I was getting very frustrated with finding them lying around and getting mangled and finally took the time to put them all in two large binders. Dh looked at me like I was crazy when I spent quite some time over two evenings a few weeks before Christmas -- when I had so much else to do -- organizing paper dolls, of all things! But I guess I was at my wits end.

JennGM wrote:
I was crazy about paperdolls. We had such a variety, many very rare. Mom warned us if we didn't put them away, and they got pitched. It still grieves me to this day. We got others, but were never able to replace all the ones we lost.

Jenn, as mentioned above, I can totally identify with your poor mom and am just glad that I had Becky's idea to fall back on instead of pitching our extensive collection.

Favorites here include Little Women and Pride and Prejudice (which the girls received for Christmas this year) the Little House in the Big Woods collection, and various other Dover historical sets. When my 8yo walked by the computer and saw the topic heading, she asked if I was getting links for finding paper dolls online and wants me to go in search again. Apparently, there can never be too many paper dolls around here!

RenB
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 19 2007 at 8:16am | IP Logged Quote RenB

Over the years our daughters have played for hours and hours with paper dolls. Long ago before I had a laminating machine, I used to use clear contact paper over them, adding a tiny piece of sandpaper to the centers of the doll bodies. On the back of the clothing, I added a small piece of felt, and voila a cheaper alternative to using velcro. But, those were the days of labour intensive work, now we laminate and use sticky back whatever and just get the job done so mom doesn't spend hours and hours with another project, and the imaginative play can commence.

We too slip each set of paper dollies into a zip lock bag and have been known to hang them onto a hook screwed into the wall, for a quick grab. It was placed quite high so the little ones couldn't get hold of them. Otherwise, yes, what's that term? Binderize all?

Renee
Mommy to eight, Grandmommy to six
Back to Top View RenB's Profile Search for other posts by RenB Visit RenB's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version