Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: pierced ears? O.K for Catholics? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
chrisv664
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 20 2008 at 3:11pm | IP Logged Quote chrisv664

My oldest daughter was attending our local Catholic school years ago and claimed (at age 7) that she was the only girl in her class without pierced ears! We were terrible parents, and made her suffer for three more years without holes in her ears. The interesting part of this story is there was one other girl without pierced ears in her class and to this day (they are now 20!) they are best friends and I count her mom as one of my closest friends. Our two families both have six children and we've become more like famlily to each other than our own families!

Burning The Candle At Both Ends
Back to Top View chrisv664's Profile Search for other posts by chrisv664 Visit chrisv664's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 20 2008 at 3:19pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

chrisv664 wrote:
My oldest daughter was attending our local Catholic school years ago and claimed (at age 7) that she was the only girl in her class without pierced ears! We were terrible parents, and made her suffer for three more years without holes in her ears. The interesting part of this story is there was one other girl without pierced ears in her class and to this day (they are now 20!) they are best friends and I count her mom as one of my closest friends. Our two families both have six children and we've become more like famlily to each other than our own families!

Hoo boy, does that ring a familiar bell with me. Do you think girls have more peer pressure than boys? I felt like I was the ONLY one who WASN'T getting my ears pierced, wearing makeup, shaving legs, wearing skirts above my knees, wearing designer jeans and other clothing...the list goes on.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 20 2008 at 3:26pm | IP Logged Quote Maryan

Jenn... I'm chuckling because my mom had the same view as your mom about earrings. I don't think I've met anyone else who grew up under the same rules!

Back to Top View Maryan's Profile Search for other posts by Maryan

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 20 2008 at 3:28pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Maryan wrote:
Jenn... I'm chuckling because my mom had the same view as your mom about earrings. I don't think I've met anyone else who grew up under the same rules!

Aw, thank you for mentioning that, Maryan. I was feeling very vulnerable typing that out there! I have never met anyone else, either. But the thing is, all 5 girls survived, actually thrived, without holes in their ears. Imagine that!
Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 20 2008 at 4:30pm | IP Logged Quote Maryan

It's true! And you know... I never bothered getting my ears pierced -- my sisters did. But... I'm a wimp and hate needles and try to avoid them.

For a while I thought I was "frumpy"... and I think I would totally love a set of nice small pearl earrings...

but now with babies that constantly pull on my clip-on earrings... I don't mind that they can't rip earrings out of holes!!

So it's all good.

Back to Top View Maryan's Profile Search for other posts by Maryan

Sparrow
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Aug 21 2008 at 4:26pm | IP Logged Quote Sparrow

JennGM wrote:

The Church doesn't have any teaching against ear piercing, but I thought this CUF Faith Fact was quite good, not about ear piercings, but other piercings and tattoos. Issue: What is the teaching of the Church on tattoos and body piercing? I find it interesting how it points out that your intention for doing a tattoo or piercing can make it wrong.

Thanks for the link! My husband is heavily tattooed (when we were converting that was one of his first questions ) and I have a handful, some are visible,that I got long before I ever even believed in God. I never really thought about it after I converted, until the lady who owns a nearby Catholic bookstore made disparaging comments about them (she's otherwise nice, but always makes sure to tell me that they're ugly, sinful, and disrespecting my body as a Temple of the Spirit )

Anyway, we got dd1's ears pierced for her 7th birthday. I would probably wait longer if I had it to do again, but she was really excited about the prospect. I have to make sure she cleans them though because she doesn't do a good job on her own.

ALmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 22 2008 at 3:33am | IP Logged Quote ALmom

Ok, I'm going out on a limb here. As far as I know the ear piercing thing is a matter of prudential judgement - not definitive teaching.

I am like Jenn's mom, though, only I wouldn't say we didn't allow our children to pierce their ears because I have a horror about it or something. I wouldn't call myself extreme but our oldest might view this policy a bit in that light.

Basically our medical philosophy has always been do no harm, do the risks outweigh the benefits. We have been outside the mainstream on a lot of things related to medical risks. There are minor risks with ear piercing and we, as parents, did not feel like we could honestly sign a sheet that willingly accepted the risks (minor though they are) simply for fashion and to be able to be like everyone else. It would have been totally inconsistent with what we believe is our duty in this regard.   We were sensitive to the difficulties that this added to our daughter's life (one in particular cared a great deal about it) and we aknowledged from the start that she might not agree with our assessment and it would be a decision she was free to make on her own when it did not require our signature. Once she did have her ears pierced, she has received earring presents from us. When my mom went on a trip and got all her granddaughter's pierced earrings, she asked us about what she should do about our dd (who was, I think, 16 at the time). I suggested that she let our dd know that she had a pair set aside for her as soon as she had her ears pierced. We all knew that our dd would get her ears pierced - and she did on her 18th birthday. Funny thing. After all that time, she did have an allergic reaction and at first was so disappointed after waiting so long. Then I suggested that she call the place that did it and ask (I also felt a bit badly for her that she had spent so much hard saved cash to have this done)just to be sure. She was happy to find out that it was the cleaner she was allergic to and not the earrings and was able to get the earring back in and use peroxide instead of the provided cleaner. We compliment her on her earrings today.

Like Jenn, it hasn't ruined her life. I suspect she would post something very similiar to Jenn's post and views some of our policies as extreme, but she has always been and continues to be a very respectful dd.

Now if you really want to hear extreme - it would have to be me as a teen . My sister's all insisted that I had to get my ears pierced. Personally I didn't want to mess with it, just like I didn't want to get wings evne though that was the style. (I was a rebel against convention, I'm afraid). Well, I told my sisters, "If God wanted me to have holes in my ears, he would have put them there." I really, really do not hold this, but it is funny the wide range of opinions there are. I do not, however, have pierced ears, while my mom and sisters do. (BTW, I was not afraid of needles or anything like that - just really rebelled against doing something because everyone else was. I was a non-homeschooled misfit as I sometimes tell my dd. She is appalled when I share some of my most extreme teen statements, knowing, of course, that I am laughing at myself.

Janet
Back to Top View ALmom's Profile Search for other posts by ALmom

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version